LegacyGT.com

Myron and Davis Nav

My experience exactly. I've had a blast with mine. Good enough for what I need it for. I also got a 2012/3 map upgrade for free with the order.

How does it sound compared to oem? Are you still using stock speakers and amp?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How does it sound compared to oem? Are you still using stock speakers and amp?
Yep. Stock speakers, dash tweeters and amp (if there is one, lol). Its not a HiFi audio setup by any means but vs. OEM, its an improvement for sure vs the stock premium radio.

The 4x50W pre-amp alone makes better use of the stock speakers. There are also more EQ settings, better bass/treble/mid-range controls, a few audio enhancements (BBE, etc.) and now I've also access that 'secret' menu one of the other guys who just got his installed found and changed the speaker setup from standard to premium and the quality improved even more.

Even something as plain as AM or FM sounds better than the stock unit.

CDs/DVDs with some mp3s are a decent test too. Best of all, all the stock AUX inputs work too and an Android-based HTC One X+ or Galaxy III pushing some good quality mp3/aac or flac sounds BEST of all inputs I've tried it with.

BTW - that secret menu has lot of other settings - some are not self-evident. Did M&D or some forum post somewhere explain them all?

Yep. Stock speakers, dash tweeters and amp (if there is one, lol). Its not a HiFi audio setup by any means but vs. OEM, its an improvement for sure vs the stock premium radio.

The 4x50W pre-amp alone makes better use of the stock speakers. There are also more EQ settings, better bass/treble/mid-range controls, a few audio enhancements (BBE, etc.) and now I've also access that 'secret' menu one of the other guys who just got his installed found and changed the speaker setup from standard to premium and the quality improved even more.

Even something as plain as AM or FM sounds better than the stock unit.

CDs/DVDs with some mp3s are a decent test too. Best of all, all the stock AUX inputs work too and an Android-based HTC One X+ or Galaxy III pushing some good quality mp3/aac or flac sounds BEST of all inputs I've tried it with.

BTW - that secret menu has lot of other settings - some are not self-evident. Did M&D or some forum post somewhere explain them all?

Yeah, it was me who mentioned about the hidden menu. I was trouble shooting with a Myron and Davis tech and he guided me to the hidden menu. I called them because my steering wheel phone controls weren't functioning.

In the end it was the harness they sent (2012 instead of the 2010 harness). Just one pin on the harness had to be moved.

Anyway, there are a bunch of other features in the hidden menu, which unfortunately I can't explain either. There's a bunch of stuff in there, you can change the startup logo from the Myron & Davis logo to Multimedia logo, which I changed. A few other features, but I was a little hesitant to play with them since I could mess something up.

To get to the hidden menu, press Aux from the main menu, once on the Aux screen, press the upper right corner and a small key pad will appear, press the key pad, once it appears type in 7253 then hit ok. You're in!

If the '12 and '13 have the same harness, and the '11 and '12 have the same NAV, does that mean the '11 has the same harness also? I just ask for a potential swap for the '13 NAV.

This is where it gets confusing lol... The '10, '11 MY have the same harness when it comes to regualar audio (No fact. Nav) Then they did a switch for '12 and '13 since they changed the headunits. I beleive that no matter the year, the factory nav has different connectors from the stock head units... I could be wrong, but i dont think the '13 nav will connect with the older MY... does that make sense?

Yeah, it was me who mentioned about the hidden menu. I was trouble shooting with a Myron and Davis tech and he guided me to the hidden menu. I called them because my steering wheel phone controls weren't functioning.

In the end it was the harness they sent (2012 instead of the 2010 harness). Just one pin on the harness had to be moved.

Anyway, there are a bunch of other features in the hidden menu, which unfortunately I can't explain either. There's a bunch of stuff in there, you can change the startup logo from the Myron & Davis logo to Multimedia logo, which I changed. A few other features, but I was a little hesitant to play with them since I could mess something up.

To get to the hidden menu, press Aux from the main menu, once on the Aux screen, press the upper right corner and a small key pad will appear, press the key pad, once it appears type in 7253 then hit ok. You're in!

Thx jesusv! I did a few quick searches for M&D AUX Screen, hidden menu, 7253, Rosen Installer Settings. Came up with a few Honda and Mazda forums.

One interesting setting we can also toggle there is "Brake: On/Off". Once toggled to Off, and after an ignition power-cycle, it will allow for DVDs/DivX videos to play on the screen with the car in motion.

Seems we should be able to enable/disable RDS RBDS through here too.

If someone is getting navigation voice cutouts >55/60mph, etc. there is another secret screen that supposedly controls this:

If you tap on the GPS signal in the bottom of the Nav screen, it will bring you to another screen with three buttons. The one on the right is the volume button. Hold it for a few seconds and you will be brought to another screen. The bottom two options should be shut off. Specifically the speed adjustment for sound. Do that and the Rosen will no longer cut out when giving directions.

Tried, all that and RDS is not available on the legacy model, this according to M&D support. I have been in the secret menu and the only thing really worth it is switching the Myron & Davis logo on startup to a "Multi-Media" logo instead. I also had to ground the brake wire to get it to play movies while driving.

Eventually the the unit suddenly turned off while I was driving and did not want to turn on until I disconnected and reconnected the plugs, fuse and everything else was fine. I found it to be more trouble than it was worth and went back to stock.

Another thing, reception was worse and this was in San Diego. It probably had something to do with the unit not using the Legacy's dual antenna.

All this is my experience and opinion only, it might be different for others.

Sorry to hear JLGT. I've noticed worse reception too, especially away from city and suburbs.

I have heard about the worse reception, but I cant rmember the last time I listed to FM or AM. I am a Sat. Person.

Speaking of satellite radio, my first component arrived.... The SCC1 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner.

Hopefully the rest will arrive this week so next weekend I can do the install...:)

Patrick, has the shipment arrive? I'm on the edge of my toes waiting to see the progress. :lol:

:spin:No and I'm going stir crazy... The nav should be here tomorrow (Monday) and the sirius cable and back-up cam on Tuesday. Then Im just waiting on my flush mount USB cable from hong kong... So I will be most likely doing the install on Saturday... I cant wait... lol.. Oh and I through in another small install... LED Laser Logo Welcome Lights. They will shine the Subaru logo on the ground when the door is opened :)

So... I was all excited... The nav was being delivered today. I come home and find a note on my door... didnt realize a signature is required... so we will try again tomorrow... at least the back-up cam and Ipod cable come tomorrow too :)

With no extra wiring? I assume it just uses the stock connectors then?

Its supposed to be plug and play so we will see... with my '11 legacy I have no USB aux, so I have to make one... But anywyas, the unit came in last night so hopefully this weekend I will have all componants so I can do the install and write up a guide :)

I believe so, yes. No extra wiring. I had a local Car Audio/Alarm shop install the unti for me (professional soldering, beefed up connectors, the works) so I'm not 100% sure what they did. But I do know it was all PnP, they only used what was provided and were done much faster than they initially estimated. Getting the unti to sit flush was actually the biggest PITA of the whole process. It took them maybe 10 tries and some bracket adjustments.

I believe so, yes. No extra wiring. I had a local Car Audio/Alarm shop install the unti for me (professional soldering, beefed up connectors, the works) so I'm not 100% sure what they did. But I do know it was all PnP, they only used what was provided and were done much faster than they initially estimated. Getting the unti to sit flush was actually the biggest PITA of the whole process. It took them maybe 10 tries and some bracket adjustments.

Good to know about the bracket... I will make note of that when I do mine :)

BTW, do you know where they decided to mount your GPS antena?

BTW, do you know where they decided to mount your GPS antena?
Yep, they routed it up near the rear-view mirror / sunglass holder (under the roof trim). This is also where they placed the bluetooth mic (it sits flush next to the sun visor, pointing @ the driver, wiring hidden under the trim)

Archived