LegacyGT.com

General consensus for 6mt sts?

I see many have had some type of issue with the sts for the 6mt spec b. I prefer to do things one time only, so is my best bet to go with the sti sts? I know its a lot more expensive than a Kartboy or Cobb, but it seems like they were made as an after-thought and are not up to par. I'm going to upgrade all the bushings and also the trans mount while I'm at it. One other thing, is the Group N pitch mount an improvement over the stock mount? I've seen a lot complaints of noise, but I would like to upgrade it as well.

I went ahead and ordered the short shifter through a local Subaru dealer for $360. Since this sts has the linkage, Im assuming it comes with atleast the front bushings...can someone confirm or deny that? Parts guy said there is a seperate bushing I'd have to order so I'm trying to figure out which bushings I need to order.

The STi STS doesn't come with any extra bushings. If you want a slightly shorter throw the STi STS is great for it. If you want crisper shifts you probably want to get an aftermarket STS. I'm unsure if the linkages have any bearing on shift throws but I would only hope so...

I have the STi STS in mine and I've considered supplementing it with the Kartboy or Cobb kits with all three sets of bushings and a shorter shaft. Hope this helps!

I definitely wanted a shorter throw, but was hoping for a more crisp shifting experience as well. Seems like some people got a lot of cabin noise from installing the rear stay bushing, so I will probably avoid replacing that one.

Zero1- Did you replace your shift knob and shift boot as well?

I won't replace the spec B knob, love it too much :)

Still have the stock vinyl shift boot and would like to get real leather or alcantara with red stitching someday...

I can't say that I have more noise from the rear stay (I have an STi one) and I would like to have it crisper than it is now. The STi STS shortens throws a little bit but you would probably notice more gain with an aftermarket piece. I believe that the firmest, crispest shift is going to be a combination of the STi STS and aftermarket shaft with bushings.

Thanks for the insight! Im going to order all new bushings and see how works out before I get a different shaft. I too want real leather with red stitching but not too keen on having to glue it together. Have you experienced any issues with the extra boot material? Sorry for all the questions. lol

Thanks for the insight! Im going to order all new bushings and see how works out before I get a different shaft. I too want real leather with red stitching but not too keen on having to glue it together. Have you experienced any issues with the extra boot material? Sorry for all the questions. lol

I've had it off a few times and no, haven't had any issues with it other than keeping track of the clips that sometimes slip off lol

i have the subie STS, and it's great. I was looking for just a little less of a throw, while at the same height, or there abouts.

I read the same things about a few isolated cases of the cobb and KB units causing tranny damages to the spec.b's out there, and decided to play it safe.

Coupled with some new shifter bushings, it feels terrific to me.

I'm pretty sure the STI STS linkage is the same as the stock one, so there's no point in getting the STI one only to swap out the just the shifter for an aftermarket one.
That's not correct. Throw is different because of the assembly changes (although the actual shifter linkage it connects to is the same). On the 5MT STi STS assembly the design is different to reduce throw and the shift lever is slightly shorter. I plan on changing the lever to a Kartboy along with my STi reduced throw assembly, Group N rear shifter stay, Kartboy front bushings, and TiC pivot bushings for the lever.

Well I have a 5MT and not a 6MT (damn bastard 1st model year spec.B), but I had my STi version along with the one from my spec.B side by side and measured. There are differences in the assembly apart from the shorter lever (above and below the pivot point). Since they looked so similar I wanted to measure before installing so I wouldn't waste my time if it wasn't worthwhile. Some angles were definitely different and I didn't document before I installed as it was for peace of mind. Maybe the 6MT is exactly the same and my input would be a moot point anyhow. :iam:

I hope there is enough of a difference to justify the $360 :rolleyes: Complaints of dremeling this and flipping that is why I went with the STi shifter, but it is what it is. Time to put in my order for all new bushings and a trans mount!

How do you tell if you have the STI STS? I bought my spec B last month and the shifter feels rather short but I have nothing to compare to. I was looking to buy a STS but I don't want to waste my money if its already in there.

How do you tell if you have the STI STS? I bought my spec B last month and the shifter feels rather short but I have nothing to compare to. I was looking to buy a STS but I don't want to waste my money if its already in there.

You can actually look at either your original window sticker or go to your local Subaru dealer and the Service Manager can usually look up your original build sheet to see if it was on there from the factory like mine was. Otherwise you gotta check with the previous owner(s) (if there are any) to see if it was installed after the fact.

Archived