LegacyGT.com

Timing off need immediate help

So i am changing the timing belt on my wifes 98 forester. It has DOHCs and i made the mistake of trying to turn the engine by the top cams. I know stupid move i know i should have been turning by the crank. I know rookie mistake I didnt even try this last year when i replaced the belt on my 06 gt. One or two of the cams jumped and i dont know if it was just one or both. I will be taking the heads off to replace the the gaskets so can i just reset the timing by taking off the heads, turning the crank until a specific piston is up/down and realign the cams before they go back on?

So if you are unaware of timing and the belt is off AND you are going to take the heads off I would simply rotate the crank so that Cyl #1 is at TDC and align each heads exhaust and intake cams per the marks on the pulleys. The marks on the cams and oil pump are only correct (for a completely un-timed engine) when #1 is at TDC.

Yea def has timing marks but at this point those marks are helping.

GEE OTTO thanks so much I've been real nervous all day.

Yeah man get No#1 TDC, align cams per marks and turn the engine by hand before anything! If you aren't timed properly you will feel that piston touch if so adjust turn more confirm. :)

Archived