LegacyGT.com

Kenny's 99 Outback Limited

And so it begins....

I finally got it registered and moved it to the garage.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/Kennyfvholla/Honda/BD86DCA0-73FF-4290-A172-C2E0ED3B537C-17419-000007BAC4CD1B98_zps401ce27f.jpg

Over time I will be slowly repairing it's issues and adding a few upgrades here and there. I have no crazy special plans for this car. It's just going to be my backup car, that I take on trips and take off road and such. So I won't be attempting to make it perfect or anything.

So far, I have about $1,200 into it with the purchase costs and parts.

I have replaced the battery, some ground wiring, the trans filter and did a few fluid changes, some broken interior plastics, and the door panels.

In the next few weeks I will be replacing:

head gaskets (Cometic 0.027")

radiator and fans

timing belt and pulley

water pump

oil/air separator plate

front speakers (Kenwood's)

adding an additional OEM sub

the head unit

front LH axle

brake pads

Beyond that stuff, I hope to be able to get the transmission fixed and then start moving on to the upgrades.

Future mods:

UEL headers

Delta cams

high flow cat pipe

custom catback with a Borla muffler

JDM headlights

window tint

I'll post up some more pictures later this week. I'm going to fully detail the car, inside and out.

Today I swapped out the radiator and fans, swapped out a wheel with a non-leaky tire and then took her out and drove EVERYWHERE off road. This car is SO much better off road than my GT's.

I freaking love this car! It's a piece of junk mostly. It's got a thousand things wrong with it and it handles like a boat. But, I don't even give a crap!

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/Kennyfvholla/IMG_0256_zpsad22a86a.jpg

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/Kennyfvholla/IMG_0254_zpscda3e883.jpg

Kenny - as long as you are having fun with it and it is reliable, I d call that a win in my book.

Well, it's not very reliable yet... I'm driving around without a thermostat because the gaskets are shot and the motor does have a slight knock. So, she will be sitting around quite a bit for the next few months until I can get the motor completely rebuilt.

did you actually make it over the crest of that hill in the last pic?

I got up to the top, but that crest is much sharper than it looks.

Well, from a dead stop that's how far it went up before it just didn't have the traction to keep going. The tires don't have too much tread left to them. I hit the breaks and held the car there so my buddy could take a picture. It's a much steeper angle than it looks like. Earlier in the day I went up and over a larger hill that had the same angles and made it up and over no problem, with a running start.

Question, do you have the external trans filter? Being you have a 99 I would assume it does. Reason I ask is because you should only use the Subaru filter, the aftermarket ones aren't designed the same and there have been some people having shitting issues after installing them. A few months back I installed a aftermarket one before I knew about them being different and had some trans shifting problems so I bought a Subaru one and it went back to normal.

yep, I've got the Phase 2 trans with the external filter. I only used OEM Subaru fluid and filters. I replaced both the spin on filter and the internal screen (Subaru swears there isn't one, but there actually is. It's the same as the Phase 1 screen/filter). My transmission has had shifting issues since I bought it. It hesitates to shift into gear from park, reverse, and neutral. It's also slams into 3rd if you attempt to use the throttle to downshift and slips while shifting into 2nd if you're giving it too much gas.

The issues started when the PO had a shop do a trans flush. The mileage was higher when he had it done and it was probably the first time it was replaced in the cars lifetime.

I have to completely rebuild the motor at some point, so when that's out the trans is coming out as well. My dad and I will tear it apart and see what's up. If there's no fixing it, I'm just going to swap in a replacement. I might do a 5MT swap because it can be done for half the cost of a Phase 2.

Yeah at my shop we tell owners that problems can occur if they've never changed their trans fluid and its very dark and burnt smelling. I've had many people still want to flush the fluid and a couple of weeks their trans starts acting up. Basically the gritty clutch material in the fluid was helping the trans work normal and when you replace it with fresh slippery fluid all hell breaks loose. LOL.

Mother effing motor knock is getting worse.. It's not too bad, but it's definitely there. I thought the Phase 2 lower ends were supposed to be better. Bull.

So, now it looks like that will barely move until I can come up with about $500 to completely rebuild the engine from the inside out...

Mother effing motor knock is getting worse.. It's not too bad, but it's definitely there. I thought the Phase 2 lower ends were supposed to be better. Bull.

So, now it looks like that will barely move until I can come up with about $500 to completely rebuild the engine from the inside out...

They are supposed to be much stronger. However, they suffer the same exact head gasket problems as all of the Phase 1 2.5s, so they're bound to have the same rod problems as well.

Yeah, I was hoping it wouldn't... These motors are a piece of shit lol. I just hoping it's rebuild-able. I am not putting ANOTHER motor into one of these cars. I'll part it out and put all the money into upgrades for my Honda.

:lol: jokes...

I'm actually quite Serious, sir. A few simple upgrade and it handles and sounds better, and has about 340 crank horsepower with a tune.

If you have a boat you can upgrade your anchor with a honda b series ;)

..joke also...

lol now that made me laugh!

Well, when I got rid of the 98 LGT I was looking for an 06/07 GTI. I love the way they drive. I just couldn't find one in my price range that was still in almost perfect condition. I couldn't find anything though... No LGT's, WRX's, OB XT's, Mazdaspeed 3's.. Nothing. I NEVER would have bought a Honda if I hadn't of found this one. I got an immaculate 04 EX Coupe, V6, with a 6MT. It puts 220 down to the wheels running premium, with gobs of low end torque. For a FWD car, designed to be sporty and comfortable, it doesn't handle too badly either.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/Kennyfvholla/Honda/9E4E4CC2-6762-4B51-9ABA-8E5E03A981CB-1333-000000B53E056557_zpsd3992460.jpg

Yeah, I raced a modified 02 Camaro SS less than a week after I got it. He had a bunch of bolt ons. I was right on his ass. Never more than half a car length behind. He was smiling and gave me a nod. He was completely surprised.

And yeah, honestly, I love the V6 V-Tech. There are three different can profiles. You can't feel them "kick in" while winding it out, but you can while crushing. I'll give it a little bit of gas in a particular gear and it'll accelerate a little bit. If I floor it you feel an instant surge of power after half a second. It's pretty cool. 175lb feet of torque at 1500 RPM, and it goes all the way up to 200 from there. Very smooth motor.

Archived