LegacyGT.com

Immobilized! (alarm trouble)

While working on my son's car today, I discovered the alarm siren (upgrade) wires had been cut (it used to live in a city). I reconnected them and tested the alarm, it worked perfectly.

So far, so good.

While I was soldering the wires, I accidently grounded the red striped one - zap.

The immobilizer engaged, preventing the engine from starting unless I hold the programming switch while turning the key. It's a nifty way to thwart wouldbe thieves, but would be a drag in the event of having to make a fast getaway from a zombie hoard.

Only the alarm system appears to have no power - the fob does nothing, no blinking alarm status light. I only found two fuses hanging under the dash near the control unit, both appear to be intact. All fuses in the fuse panels seem to be okay.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what happened to the system - is there another fuse I may have missed?

I have tried disconnecting the battery, reprogramming the alarm unit to the remote - nothing is working at the alarm end. Did I kill it? Is there a fuse inside the alarm control unit?

I'd rather not have to, but I'll pull the control unit down tomorrow to have a closer look.

:(

While working on my son's car today, I discovered the alarm siren (upgrade) wires had been cut (it used to live in a city). I reconnected them and tested the alarm, it worked perfectly.

So far, so good.

While I was soldering the wires, I accidently grounded the red striped one - zap.

The immobilizer engaged, preventing the engine from starting unless I hold the programming switch while turning the key. It's a nifty way to thwart wouldbe thieves, but would be a drag in the event of having to make a fast getaway from a zombie hoard.

Only the alarm system appears to have no power - the fob does nothing, no blinking alarm status light. I only found two fuses hanging under the dash near the control unit, both appear to be intact. All fuses in the fuse panels seem to be okay.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what happened to the system - is there another fuse I may have missed?

I have tried disconnecting the battery, reprogramming the alarm unit to the remote - nothing is working at the alarm end. Did I kill it? Is there a fuse inside the alarm control unit?

I'd rather not have to, but I'll pull the control unit down tomorrow to have a closer look.

:(

Try undoing what you soldered, and then disconnect the battery, let the car chill for like 20 mins reconnect it and see if its ok.

the solution may depend on the year. it sounds like a 90s system.

look under the hood for bad fuses. either in the box or a single some where.

and then i would disconnect the battery, turn the key to start and let go. then reconnect the battery. this should clear the system if it thinks you were stealing the car. but your situation may be some thing different.

good luck.

Found the problem - blown fuse; I missed it during my cursory inspection.

The alarm/security system is powered from the central door locking system, that 20A fuse was blown.

All better - order is restored.

:woowoo:

Archived