LegacyGT.com

rusting rear and fron fender and wells / 1/4 pannels

Actually I pulled mine out tonight. There wasn't much salt and junk under them. I'm thinking once I clean up the car real well, of spraying some undercoating in there and putting them back on. Most likely they protect the paint on the fender lip from stone chips and the like. Or maybe I'll leave them off in the winter and put them back in every spring.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rocker panel spray is much better than rubber under coat as well and is paintable. When I get my wagon ready for the dirt I'm going to rhino line the wheel wells floor pan and rockers. I'm really only worried about pucker bushes and rocks but that will stop rust once its neutralized.

I had about 10 pounds of dirt riding in the fender liner right above the wheel

need to get something to replace it since right now the dirt gets stuck near the door hinge, today I had rocks in the area between the door and the inside of the car, lol

If you take off all the plastic trim panels you can see the rest of the section that is spot welded to the floor and rocker panels. Thing is that just the dog leg isn't a sectional part, it is part of the quarter panel and is also welded into the rear body and rear light pockets.

Well I assume it's easy to just cutout and match the replacement cut piece to it? I assume you need to ctu the spot wielded area?

Well sure you can cut and match the panels where you want, its just not a preferred way to repair it. There will be a lot of sanding and shaping to the side and may not come out looking professionally repaired depending on your bondo working skills. If it were me I would just bite the bullet and have the side window removed and replace the whole quarter panel with the dog leg. It would actually be a quicker repair requiring zero bondo work.

Well sure you can cut and match the panels where you want, its just not a preferred way to repair it. There will be a lot of sanding and shaping to the side and may not come out looking professionally repaired depending on your bondo working skills. If it were me I would just bite the bullet and have the side window removed and replace the whole quarter panel with the dog leg. It would actually be a quicker repair requiring zero bondo work.

I don't understand how it's quicker?? that part of the car is part of the unibody.

plus finding a panel like that might fly in the mid-west but in the northeast haha good luck

Well finding it in good shape would definitely be the hardest part, I'm a body man that's how I know it will be faster. Cutting and matching pieces of panels in a location like that would be a major headache and ton of bondo to make look nearly good.

I just think you would be happier with a full panel replacement and it takes less knowledge to do it that way. I have seen stuff like that get done just because someone doesn't want to pull a window and its not pretty by any means.

Archived