LegacyGT.com

Rebuild/Replace --please help--

I'm appealing to the collective here for some general advice.

My 06 Legacy Wagon (not GT) has a burnt piston in cyl #4.

My mechanic is pricing the rebuild cost as well as replacement engines.

I'm sure some people here have been through this and might have some valuable feedback.

Should I be researching used engines on my own? Also, can I expand my search to newer model years?

Money is a major object for my wife and I, so it is not as simple as, "drop a used engine" for us. I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective option without doing something cheap that won't extend the life of the car significantly.

I'm kind of up a river right now, so some food for thought would help me, plus I'm a teacher and today's a snowday, so I have some time to mull this info over.

Thanks.

Also, if there's a rebuild/replace thread that I'm missing, feel free to direct me.

i closed your other thread. this is a good place for it. pm Max capacity. he's rebuilt his before and is a good source for info.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Although you know what you have with a rebuild, it is generally more expensive when someone else is doing the work. All depends on how deep you are going.

Mileage on engine?

06 started with avls and therefore you need to replace with that year or newer, unless you are switching the heads and intake to an earlier model (like 04-05).

So many variables.

Search car-parts.com for engines and filter to those near you. You might find a good alternative.

O.

Archived