LegacyGT.com

STi uppipe install

rkhousman

Done and think I was able to convine the wife my turbo was bad as after a little more inspection there is a little play in the turbo both up/dn + in/out. So i think it is gonna be a BNR 16g and a tune up next as well as a new right front cv shaft

Glad to hear it all went well. Good choice on the BNR16G. Be aware that with the upgraded actuator you will need to redo the boost signal hose. The upgraded actuator nipple exits 90 degrees and is a larger size than the stock actuator (I want to say 1/4" vs. 1/8"), but the nipple coming off the compressor housing is the same size as stock, so a little finesse is needed.

I guess you could say it went well. It did kick my ass a bit especially that damn oil return on the fing bottom not wanting to go back on! Would have been alot easier if I had a second set of hands! IN total it ended up taking me about 5 hrs to do. Def think it will be alot easier and quicker next time around. And if I could afford it I would just pay someone else to do it!

Also once the turbo is hooked back up and coolant is back in the turbo I get no play in the turbo at all. When the turbo is on the bench i get about 1/64" of up/dn & in/out if not less which is what is prompting me to replace soon. Blades look perfect and dont make contact with the housing.

There will normally be a very very small amount of play as the bearing floats in oil when the car is running. There is a set of specs it should be within. I don't remember them off my head. Underdog might know them.

As i mentioned earlier I knew that some play is natural as I have dealt with turbos on recip aircraft engines. However with over 150k on the car and everything I saw when I pulled the turbo all signs point to original turbo. So its about time to replace. Best thing is it proved to me without a doubt the PO of my lgt took good care of it.

Hmm after looking at BNR's web site I am debating whether to buy the 16g for $750 or pay the extra $25 and get the 18g. Would I have to do many supporting mods right away or could I get away with installing the 18g and a tune for now?

Well looks as if I am gonna have to purchase parts as I can.

Parts for my build:

Turbo BNR 16g

Oil supply line (as rec by BNR for warranty)?

Downpipe

ebcs? (if absolutley needed)

all related gaskets and misc other things

Tune (don't care about #'s) so just a road tune will be fine

FWIW I've had my BNR 16g in the car for over 2 years now. Short story on supporting mods, UP, 3" TBE, TMIC, FP, EBCS, Bren tune. See Bren's post in his vendor section... I've been very happy with the set up. It has plenty of low end torque and builds boost quick. I think you'll enjoy it. Good luck not adding more go fast bits down the road :)

OH i will because for now all I am doing is replacing the Turbo and getting it tuned as $$ is tight. Downpipe, fuelpump, injectors, ebcs, BP'd tmic at the least, and valve body mod will be done once I can afford! The turbo should be in tomorrow!!

• 4 weeks later...
Haven't done yet had somethings come up that were more pressing so hoping to get into the garage and get it installed this weekend unfortunatley $$ became tight so just gonna install the turbo and get a tune to make it safe for now! Have DP, fuel mods, Ebcs, and vb mod on the parts wanted/needed list.

F*** blew a rear strut Thursday so now it looks like I won't be installing the turbo for a few weeks as having new struts installed isn't free. I would tackle the job myself but no air tools would make the job way too damn hard!

Archived