LegacyGT.com

BigTDogg's Audio Install Build Thread

BigTDogg MA

So I got it installed, bigger update later, but yes, it fits.

It's kind of tough to see in this pic, but basically I wrapped some foam around the ends and strapped it to the "radio box" plastic area with two long zipties. Be sure to adjust the gain prior to installing. Mine is turned down to one click from the bottom. Otherwise the volume level of the head unit on 1 is still rather loud. Use some thin foam, I used some 1/4" thick stuff from work, and it's a bit too thick. If you extended the input harness by about 6-8" you could mount it elsewhere, but it was pretty short from Alpine, so my options were limited.

IMG_20130329_141527_736.jpg

I had to split the harness loom on the top cubby to give some extra space. I riveted the ground wire to the metal framework on the pass side. Trying to think of what else I did. If I think of stuff I'll post here, crazy day been in the garage since 8am, going back now to detail.

So I finally got around to installing the speakers. This completes my install for the time being. It does need more to make me happy though, more on that in a moment.

I dropped the MLV from my list as a cost cutting measure. This is definitely a budget build, and I couldn't drop another $200 on stuff (needed two sheets for 4 doors) especially given that I'm not doing the floor or headliner.

I did get the Deflex pads and installed those:

IMG_20130403_215127_411.jpg

I also had some left over R-Blox from previous installs, so I applied some to the outer skins of the doors:

IMG_20130403_230839_083.jpg

The garage was about 55 degrees while I did the install, which was great. The tar for the vapor barrier was cold so it didn't flow and get everywhere, and I used my heat gun to get the R-Blox (Dynamat) warm enough to adhere.

I downloaded an app for a signal generator, so I did a sine sweep from 40-500Hz to find resonances and rattles in the cabin. I noted where they were coming from and if they went away when I pressed on parts of the doors/dash. That way I could address them later. The most annoying one was the loose display screen on my 12 year old Valentine 1!

I also added some foam I had laying around from a work project to the inside of the door panels. This is to cut down on rattles from the door skin. I didn't want to make it too thick so the panel was tough to get back on, but this does the job nicely. It's some 1/2" thick foam gasketing material, an open cell EPDM I think.

IMG_20130403_233244_786.jpg

So impressions. The Polks are on the bright side compared to stock and other systems I've heard. Not harsh, but definitely bright. I kinda wish I went for a JBL MS-8 instead now so that I could EQ the system better. Not having any real adjustment is paralyzing. Luckily my phone and HD radio both have adjustable EQs, so the only time I'll be stuck with three garbage bands is when I'm using CDs, or someone else's AUX source.

The midbass is punchy, and the vocals are excellent. Stuff like Chaka Khan really shines without being annoying. Electronic music does well, but could really benefit from a sub. Rock music, depending on how it's produced can be harsh in the higher frequencies.

The front doors use the white connectors shown here, and the rears (and front tweeters) use the grey connector:

2013-03-16_01-01-45_595.jpg

Overall I'm still very happy, and it's miles above stock in functionality and subjective enjoyment. I may add a sub (like a SoundOrdinance unit or the like) down the road, but for now I'm content.

Overall, you're happy with the $150 (or so after you include the harness) you spent on the amp?

A couple small other questions:

Where did you pick up those speaker harnesses?

How do the Deflex pads mount? 3M to the door skin? I'm confused by those.

Yes, the amp is definitely better than just HU power. I suppose I could just disconnect it and do a straight A/B comparison, but I don't really see the need.

The harnesses came with the speakers from Crutchfield. I do have a complete extra set though, as they sent four white, then four grey. If you need them pm me and I'll sell them to you cheap.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HlOfuDiDwfI/g_103100/Vehicle-specific-Wiring-Harnesses.html?awcp=1t1&awcr=5604464243&awdv=c&awkw=car%20speaker%20wiring%20harness&awmt=b&awnw=g

The Deflex pads include a tube of superglue, which I guess is enough, but I did spray 3M Super 77 on the door to get it to tack. I used the spray to get the pads on the door panels as well.

Also, when gasketing the back of the brackets to seal against the door, go double thick on the rear doors. They're a somewhat irregular shape to seal to.

No need to do an A/B, just the fact that the amp is noticeable and not "underwhelming" is good enough for $150. At this point, I really dont see a downside.

And yeah, I could use the harnesses I suppose. PM in coming...

If he doesn't want the harnesses, I'll take them.... I have the same polks but one set of the slim but didn't get them from crutchfield so I don't have the harnesses. I have been looking online for them though but just haven't ordered them yet. I have a pioneer HU but I am just replacing the speakers. Got them for xmas and don't really have a need for an amp or anything.

I have been looking online for them though but just haven't ordered them yet.

12 Sec is going to take the harnesses. They're pretty easy to find online:

Metra 72-8104 for front door

Metra 72-9301 for rear door

May even be able to snag them locally if you need them immediately.

No need to do an A/B, just the fact that the amp is noticeable and not "underwhelming" is good enough for $150. At this point, I really dont see a downside.

If you haven't bought it yet, don't You can get it for $115 from here:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/KTP-445U-Alpine-4-Channel-4-Ohms-Amplifier/dp/B00866IQ2Y/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365170271&sr=8-1&keywords=ktp-445u]Amazon.com: KTP-445U - Alpine 4-Channel 45W RMS X 4 @ 4-Ohms Power Amplifier: Car Electronics[/ame]

12 Sec is going to take the harnesses.

:) in fact, you have money in your paypal account right now.

I threw some extra to cover the fees, as I know it is a pain in the ass to get the post office sometimes.

If you haven't bought it yet, don't You can get it for $115 from here:

Amazon.com: KTP-445U - Alpine 4-Channel 45W RMS X 4 @ 4-Ohms Power Amplifier: Car Electronics

Great minds....

I just put that one in my cart earlier this morning.;)

Got that, will get them out soon, thanks!

Be advised that one doesn't include the ground loop isolators. Not an issue for speaker level installs, but just wanted you to know. Seller says Amazon won't/hasn't changed the picture yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

thought I'd bump this up. I have not gotten around to installing my Alpine amp, but do have it in hand. I've been taking my sweet time getting in touch with Dave to have him build me a harness, but I finally did that today.

BigT, any updates on your impressions of the amp?

• 8 months later...

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates, but I've just finished up the system. The Alpine and Polks by themselves are nice, from 90Hz on up or so. But I needed the boom :D

So I finally got around to installing my Christmas present from my wife, a Rockford Fosgate P300-12 powered subwoofer. I don’t have a ton of time to write up a bunch of text, but as you can imagine it’s pretty straight forward. No firewall drilling, just poked a hole in the DS wire boot in the fender, then sealed it up nice with some grey RTV I had laying around. Ran 4AWG to a distribution block I placed under the trim near the shifter, then ran 8AWG to the sub, 12AWG to the Alpine amp and I have 2 additional ports for +12VDC expandability. Crossed over the fronts at 80Hz and the rears at 120Hz.

Fuse at the battery:

DSC03696.JPG

Interior access was gained by piercing a hole near the blue line, then sealing with grey RTV:

IMG_20140320_114915_408.jpg

IMG_20140320_114924_683.jpg

I soldered everything up ahead of time, essentially making much of the install plug-n-play:

IMG_20140320_245423_855.jpg

New terminals from Jegs for the battery:

IMG_20140320_245532_919.jpg

The hardest part of the install was getting the wires past the 8” of carpet to the trunk area

IMG_20140321_224741_745.jpg

Wires all run, was able to get a clean exit through carpet panels:

IMG_20140322_010022_872.jpg

With cargo tray installed:

IMG_20140322_012051_394.jpg

The Fosgate unit fits perfectly in the wagon, right under the cargo cover. There’s about 3/16” clearance between the cargo cover and the sub, it’s a perfect fit:

DSC03692.JPG

With the net reinstalled:

DSC03694.JPG

DSC03695.JPG

Once I was done I figured the bay deserved its first real detailing since I’ve owned her

DSC03705.JPG

So far I love the difference the sub has made, even at lower volume, the sound is so full now. Definitely a great solution for LGT wagon and Outback owners.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Thread. I just installed my P-206 this afternoon. Picked it up for $150, which i think is a steal. I did all this before with my last 05 LGT Wagon, but I had to sell it - but Im back now, so Im re-learning everything I did last time. Ive got the forward/reverse harness already, but I need to run the cables for the sub and hidden box.

Now I need to figure out the AUX again...

• 2 years later...
"I'm having an interesting audio issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues.

Here is my signal path:

P-204UH -> Alpine KTP-445 -> factory wiring -> speakers.

Occasionally, and randomly, my right channel gets significantly louder, and more distorted than the left. I've verified that it happens with CDs, and AUX in.

I haven't torn into it yet, wanted to check and see if it's a known issue of a potentiometer or other component failure on the P204UH.

Totally random, not even bump related. Checked all the wiring behind the unit, because I had the airbags replaced at the dealer, and they're clueless. Everything is good and it still does it afterward. Next I'm going to bypass the Alpine to see if that fixes it."

Small update here. The KTP-445U has failed. It will have sporadic volume increases on one channel, unrelated to connections or car activity. Verified it by bypassing the amp. Ordered a replacement yesterday. Only a 1 year warranty, so it's out of pocket

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out my erratic volume issue has gone away. I removed the KTP-445U from the car, turned the gain all the way up, then all the way back down. Toggled the crossover switches, then set them back to the appropriate frequencies. The problem has not since replicated.

I also removed my HD radio, as I literally never used it. Next step is to replace my existing 5VDC source with a higher current model to support powering my phone and Waylens a the same time.

I'll do a separate thread for the Waylens. It's amazing.

BTW, there is a difference between the KTP-445U and 445A. The U has crossovers and gain control, the A does not. The U is what you want for a project like this.

• 1 year later...
Turns out my erratic volume issue has gone away. I removed the KTP-445U from the car, turned the gain all the way up, then all the way back down. Toggled the crossover switches, then set them back to the appropriate frequencies. The problem has not since replicated.

I also removed my HD radio, as I literally never used it. Next step is to replace my existing 5VDC source with a higher current model to support powering my phone and Waylens a the same time.

I'll do a separate thread for the Waylens. It's amazing.

BTW, there is a difference between the KTP-445U and 445A. The U has crossovers and gain control, the A does not. The U is what you want for a project like this.

Random and crazy old thread bump, but I figured it was useful info.

After a couple years, my KTP-445U is having erratic volume issues as well. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a new one, but wanted to search around for info first. That brought me back to this thread. Good to hear I MIGHT be able to get away without new hardware. We'll see very soon.

Thanks for keeping your updates going on this, they are helpful as evidence by my return. :)

EDIT: confirmed, adjusted gain up/down and erratic volume issue is gone. We'll see how long it lasts this time...

Archived