LegacyGT.com

1st major problem, dealership or normal garage?

so coming home, had it on cruise @ 70mph coming up the mountain and I lost all boost! car won't go over 65 flooring it, coming down the mountain obviously speeds up a little due to gravity.

once I get off the interstate and come to a stop, in 1st and 2nd gear I hear a horrible metal grinding noise as if something broke off and swirling around in the turbo (so i think), soon as i shift too 3rd, the noise stops completely. it does this at each light, 4 of them.

about a mile from my house at the last light, 1st and 2nd don't make the noise anymore...sooo would tell me either whatever was lose got caught and is spinning so to speak or whatever lose metal was grinding has gotten sucked up into where ever hence not there to make the noise.

all of this started roughly 10 miles from my house. from reading some on the forum, I think my turbo is shot, but I honestly have no clue. car is 05 gt with 57,000 with all stock parts.

my main question is I don't feel comfortable trying to fix anything like this....should I take car to dealership or to a normal car garage...I say normal as there are no special garages that specialize in foreign cars in my small town.

also, from my discreption, if you think it would/could be something other than the turbo or in addition to the turbo, please share :)

thanks guys!

sounds like a turbo..and have it flat bedded. don't drive it anymore. you might have done more damage by driving it already.

if you don't have a subie specialty shop than it sounds like you don't have an option. do you?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

sounds like a turbo..and have it flat bedded. don't drive it anymore. you might have done more damage by driving it already.

if you don't have a subie specialty shop than it sounds like you don't have an option. do you?

thanks c-lo, quick question...what is flat bedded?

If there's someone you know who is a little mechanically minded, it'll be very easy to remove the intercooler (only a few bolts) and confirm that the turbo is 'toast' (bent/broken fins, snapped shaft, etc).

Ask around the local forum below if any one knows of a shop close to you.

Was the engine or turbo making any funny noise in the day's before this happened.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived