LegacyGT.com

trouble starting help!

How old is the battery ?

7/8 years is about the max life of one.

I put a MaxxEverstart from Walmart on my wagon at 5 years old. Just so I wouldn't have a problems that coming winter.

Im not sure its the same one that came with it when i bought it. I dont think its that old. I really do hope its the battery. Any other ideas on what it could be?

Do we know how old the battery is ?

What brand name is it ?

The dealer will charge you more then the cost of a new battery to tell you what's wrong.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated Too
Do you have any kind of a battery jump pack/assist - Wallmart sells a rechargeable starter pack that's about $40 - it's small and saved me and friends tons - plus it always starts my yard tractor which needed a new battery about six years ago. You can then see if that helps at all - then if it doesn't - then yes, you would need to check the starter and if it's playing up/jammed and draws down the battery to be killing everything else but then I would expect something to get hot very fast... this as you said is very odd. If nothing's getting hot and no start with something taking the juice away - can't be much juice around to start with. Do you have a multimeter, can you see what happens to the battery voltage as you try and start - does it dip to 9v or there abouts...?

Do not know its age, but looks relatively new. The brand is AC Delco professional. It seems it started ok this morning. And it was 10° colder than yesterday morning. And no i do not have a battery starter pack. I do have a battery charger though.

Break it down. We'll assume it's not a fuel issue for now because you can hear the pump prime and the last time it didn't start, the car wasn't turning over at all. There are essentially just a few components to the starting circuit. Ignition switch/immobilizer, battery, starter, and the wiring and relays in between.

Not sure if it's the same on an 05 as my 08, but if an improper key is inserted (i.e. it fits but is not programmed or the immobilizer can't read the key transponder), the red security light comes on when you try to start it. You can get the sweep to happen, turn the radio on, etc, but the car won't turn over. Did this happen for you? If so, it's an immobilizer or key issue.

You said though that in the past it took several seconds for the car to start and then it just wouldn't turn over at all. When it took several seconds, did it turn over slowly?

From what you describe, it sounds like the battery isn't able to provide the power the starter needs. Your battery is bad, your alternator isn't charging sufficiently, you have some parasitic drain (got an aftermarket radio or something else drawing power when the car is off?), your starter is going out and drawing too much amperage, or you have resistance in either the starting/charging circuit. A multimeter will help you diagnose parasitic drain and your starting/charging circuit (google "voltage drop testing"), as well as what your battery is doing when you start the car. Do you have one?

Yes, all of that happened, but i dont have an after market radio. I have multimeter and i guess i could test it. Its really strange because yesterday i could start the car if i did it quickly and just turned the key. But oneof the times i tried to see what it would do if i just put it in 2acc or 3 and continue to turn the key slowly to start it and the car would start or crank or anything.

I step out of the car pop the hood check connections and what not. Then i go to start it by just inserting the key and it fires up. I know its pretty hard to explain. This morning i just jumped in and turned the key like normal and it started right up with no issues. And it was 10° cooler. Im puzzled.

I tried to replicate the issue with my father in the car and no dice. I would not do it again.

You can check my thread about what happened when my ignition lock cylinder broke. Try disconnecting the battery, tap the brake, reconnect, turn ignition to the On position for 30 seconds, then crank.

If you put it into diagnostic mode using the connectors in the fuse box under the dash, you might be able to pull a BIU error (Er IB) on the trip odometer.

The BIU is the computer for ignition lock/anti theft etc. Also make sure all the ignition related fuses are fully seated. There is a key on the inside of the dash fuse box, but just make sure you push them all. If you don't mind scraping the crap out of your hands on the plastic where the door is installed, consider pulling the fuses and inspecting them.

No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

Also these car from time to time will have funny electrical issues.

The fix is remove the key. Then start the again, all is fine.

My 09 SpecB had the radio and HVAC lights stop working the last time it came back from VT. It happened about 3 miles from the house. It's been fine ever since, Will I have only driven it one day in the past 3 weeks.

My wagon had a few of those type things in the early years. But since the second recall for the fan's sticking on it's been 99% solid. Well may be 97%.

If the battery connections are dirty or the battery is getting old, funny things can happen.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

How old is the battery ?

7/8 years is about the max life of one.

I put a MaxxEverstart from Walmart on my wagon at 5 years old. Just so I wouldn't have a problems that coming winter.

Do we know how old the battery is ?

What brand name is it ?

The dealer will charge you more then the cost of a new battery to tell you what's wrong.

Once again, how old is the battery ?

Or did I miss that answer ?

You need to just take it in and have it diagnosed... but take some of the ideas from your thread and ask questions while you're there.

... well, its now a couple days later... have you had the chance to have it looked at yet?

I am. I'm making an appointment as soon as I can with Subaru. I don't have the time to try and sort it out myself. I think I know what it is. I think its the battery cables themselves going bad. Idk well have to see and so will my wallet.

• I Donated Too
Good luck. I am sorry we couldn't pin point a specific answer for you this time. We'll be very interested to hear what it turns out to be. You got some good advice here but hopefully Subaru will find it now and not at an exorbitant fee.

Thank you. I think I got some really good advice from you guys and it really helped. I just don't have the time for this. Plus my dealer may be easy on me because last time I was there they broke part of my cooling system and I had to replace it. :lol:

Archived