LegacyGT.com

trouble starting help!

Hello as the title states im having trouble starting my car..sometimes. i put the key in and it takes a while to start maybe 8-10 seconds..well this morning i put the key in and slowly turned the key to 3acc and watched the sweep and continued to turn to start the car. It wont start...would nt even make any noises. I heard the fuel pump kick in.

I then pull the key out thinking something is wrong. I put it back in and turn...nothing at all no lights no sweep nothing. All the while i haven't gotten a single light of any sort no cels no battery lights nothing..after i wait a bit maybe a minute or two it turns back on and works. It still takes it a second, but starts. My car is a 2005 legacy gt 5eat..

It drives fine and runs good just has a little issue starting. Did i put it in some sort of theft mode or does it sound like a starter issue? My radio also stops working intermediately and gets stuck on stations

Sorry its so long and confusing i just don't know how to explain this.

• I Donated Too
I don't know how to answer you either. I'd start by checking the battery for corrosion/bad terminal connections - when it doesn't start or tries to start are any of the battery terminals hot - when was the last time you changed the battery - do you have a battery jump pack of any kind that you can use to supplement the car's battery... I think, you have a bad battery - at least lets start there.

Well i just had the battery checked and charged when i left the dome light on months ago.. it checked out fine. The terminals dont seem to be hot because that's the first thing i checked. The terminal ends are a little dirty i plan to clean them and check them out when i get home as im at work :( i just hope its not something big or something expensive. I have a multimeter at home as well. I didnt have time this morning because i had to go to work and was already running late.

How old is the battery ?

7/8 years is about the max life of one.

I put a MaxxEverstart from Walmart on my wagon at 5 years old. Just so I wouldn't have a problems that coming winter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated Too
slow draw drain like leaving a light on inside the car will ruin a car battery if left to completely discharge it, they are never the same again IMHO. As a car battery discharges, the acid levels in the solution increase, the lead plates are eaten up, sludge forms in the bottom shorting the cells... it doesn't 'reverse' when you charge it. Rule out the battery.

The last time I was in Walmart, I think they had a battery tester.

Most Auto parts store will test the battery too. for free.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• I Donated Too
You're welcome. I would start tracing out the start relays and starter - it's something to do with that high current side of the house. I am surprised the battery wasn't bad... I'm still not sure about that despite the test. How cold has it been?

I would also make sure the grounds are clean.

You may need to remove the tmic and starter cables to clean them.

how about the brake switch, is it making good contact when you put your foot on it to start the car ?

Understand where I'm going ?

I had similar issues on a couple of my older cars... one of them turned out to be the ignition switch or something inside the column. As you know most keys are chipped... if the car doesnt recognize the chip it wont start and it will make other electrical glitches in your car as well... flickering lights, radio glitches... etc.

The dealer couldnt tell me exactly why it happens... it just does sometimes. Bring it to the shop and have them attempt to reprogram the key if its chipped.

The other problem ended up being my fuel pump itself... i know it sounds strange but i replaced it and my car started right up and ripped down the street problem solved:eek:

*Either way let me know what you find out:)

...and do you have any foreign software installed or any flashes to your ECU?

Nope no tunes or anything. Only a CBE and going stage 2 once it warms up and my mechanic gets free time from working on DSMs :lol: im going to have to take it to the dealer and see what they can tell me, probably nothing. And yes about the brake switch, everything seems to be working, just in the morning its struggling to start.

Its a 05 find a good local repair shop and support them and build a relationship with them. Ask around work and find out where people take there cars to be fixed.

Theres really not much, most are sketchy and id rather them not work on my car. Lol i like going to the dealer and they arnt terrible its just that i have to make an appointment, wait for parts if needed etc. Stupid question, but these keys are chipped and need to be programed correct?

• I Donated Too
I still like the battery idea. Especially if it's playing up when cold - then tests fine when it's warmed up out... this isn't unheard of. So much of this is pointing to the battery...

Archived