LegacyGT.com

Brake master cylinder brace?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stock holes in the picture have nuts welded in there. I'm not sure that tapping and screwing into sheet metal is going to be strong enough. I would bolt thru with a nut on the wheel well side.

Probably can't do that without pulling the strut, right?

Partially installed it today. Still need to drill the two holes and install the three rear bolts. It will probably be a two man job and I will most likely have to at least remove the tire. I'm hoping I don't have to remove the strut as well. For the three bolts I did install, the chassis/battery grounding bolt was the easiest. The other two bolts were a pain getting everything lined up properly to thread them into the existing holes. The supplied M6x1.0 bolts are only 25mm long. It probably would have been easier to use 30mm long bolts. Right now, it feels like it's pretty secure in place so I may still go with self tapping screws for the missing two holes. The hole for the upper rear bolt (M8x1.25 30mm) is there, but like I said, it'll take an extra set of hands. I can see daylight through the hole, so I'm hoping it wont be too difficult.

IMG_0002.JPG.2a6af5f475687f2d3a775a6bb74e5f1f.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG.e1f7e762b39baaa2ee4a45ebc5c20ab5.JPG

Partially installed it today. Still need to drill the two holes and install the three rear bolts. It will probably be a two man job and I will most likely have to at least remove the tire. I'm hoping I don't have to remove the strut as well. For the three bolts I did install, the chassis/battery grounding bolt was the easiest. The other two bolts were a pain getting everything lined up properly to thread them into the existing holes. The supplied M6x1.0 bolts are only 25mm long. It probably would have been easier to use 30mm long bolts. Right now, it feels like it's pretty secure in place so I may still go with self tapping screws for the missing two holes. The hole for the upper rear bolt (M8x1.25 30mm) is there, but like I said, it'll take an extra set of hands. I can see daylight through the hole, so I'm hoping it wont be too difficult.

It looks nice and pretty secure. I remember that we have to remove the tire as well to put it in the one of the bolt and screw. Other bolts are screwed to existing self tapping screw holes. You are right, it will be easier for two people to install this thing.

It looks nice and pretty secure. I remember that we have to remove the tire as well to put it in the one of the bolt and screw. Other bolts are screwed to existing self tapping screw holes. You are right, it will be easier for two people to install this thing.

I may have a trick up my sleeve for that top rear bolt.

Okay, so I was thinking to myself, "self, I think I know what will fit in that hole and make my life much easier." So off to the hardware store for some nuts and bolts and voilà...

IMG_0005.JPG.0f7285b3f747c2e70524dca85f6248ea.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG.0c7c02ed2e0080255694e11225534b96.JPG

That top rear hole is a real b1tch to get to without removing the master cylinder itself (which I wasn't doing). I used a thin screwdriver to help me guide the fastener into place, otherwise I probably would have been fishing for it after I dropped it, and it snapped right in. The screw itself was also a pain. There's no room for a ratchet, so you have to use an old-fashioned open-ended wrench to do the job. A ratchet wrench would be the preferred method, so that'll be on my birthday wish list this year.

The bottom two holes I went with the self tapping screws and after figuring out how to get in there with the power drill, they went right in. They're in there pretty secure so this brace isn't going anywhere.

The two front bottom M6x25mm bolts I replaced with M6x30mm ones and they were a lot easier to set into place. I used a new bolt for the top ground cable bolt just for the heck of it.

edit: Oh, and I also put a dab of JB Weld SteelStick into the red stopper so it would fuse it to the bolt. I didn't want that finding it's way under the engine either.

IMG_0003.JPG.d9676f1dea78666a3d2b7ed1d92fb907.JPG

Edited by nstg8r

I want! Awesome work nstg8r.

On the site where you pick it up, I see 2 options, with and without installation hardware.

I'm assuming its safe to get the one withOUT the hardware, since you've found replacements for everything I can think of work better, yes?

Yeah, I would have saved $41.32 if I had gone that way. To be honest, I'm not sure why there are two options; I wonder if the "including installation" option meant they would install it if I lived in China, lol.

I think all the hardware would cost less than $5 minus the red stopper. That may be a little harder to find, but we have some really good independent hardware shops here that have lot's of odd stuff. Good luck trying to find any of it at Home Depot.

Here's my parts list.

Stopper hardware (can sub 5/16" for M8):

1-M8x1.25x50mm bolt (2" long if 5/16")

2-M8x1.25 flange nuts

2-M8 toothed locking washers

1-M8 stopper (you may have to get creative for this)

Mounting hardware:

(front bottom)

2-M6x1.0x30mm bolts (cannot sub for these, they replace the OEM bolts)

2-M6 washers

(rear bottom)

2-1/4"x3/4" self drilling screws (I couldn't find M6x20mm ones, these are for the two missing holes)

2-1/4" or M6 washers

If drilling new holes instead:

2-M6x1.0x25mm bolts (sub 1/4"x1")

2-M6x1.0 flange nuts (sub 1/4")

4-M6 washers (sub 1/4")

(rear top)

1-#14 (or 3/8", I forget which I used) nylon license plate fastener nut

1-#14x1.25" hex head screw

1-#14 (or 1/4") washer

1-M8 (or 5/16") washer

or (2-man job)

1-M8x1.25x30 bolt (sub 5/16"x1.25")

1-M8x1.25 flange nut (sub 5/16")

2-M8 washers (sub 5/16")

(front top chassis grounding bolt, not necessary to replace)

1-M6x1.0x20mm bolt

1-M6 washer

So, after driving around a day or so with the MCB fully installed, my impression is that it does stiffen up the pedal a bit and reduces travel slightly.

I had also recently noticed that my pedal seemed to have better feel after installing the Takeda intake. At first, I though I may have been just imagining it, but after a little research, it is possible that there is a change of manifold vacuum pressure, and since the brake vacuum booster is attached directly to the manifold, it can affect that as well. only way to know for sure would have been to test it before and after with a vacuum gauge.

Edited by nstg8r

Bumping the old thread back to life!

Jordan of Gladman Performance Fabrication is interested in fabricating a proper 5th gen USDM MCB for us!

Anyone local to WA or Vancouver who could stop by?

Been busy with work and just catching up. I live in Vancouver if you guys still need a test car for this.

Been busy with work and just catching up. I live in Vancouver if you guys still need a test car for this.
Would be great! Can you email Jordan and stop by? He will know about this because we discussed the idea. See what else he can fab' up for us... maybe some nice covers, shrouds for under the hood? A new intake tract from the grill to the stock airbox?

Jordan Gladman (g l a d f a b 'at' g m a i l . c o m)

http://gladfab.myshopify.com/pages/about-us

Would be great! Can you email Jordan and stop by? He will know about this because we discussed the idea. See what else he can fab' up for us... maybe some nice covers, shrouds for under the hood? A new intake tract from the grill to the stock airbox?

Jordan Gladman (g l a d f a b 'at' g m a i l . c o m)

http://gladfab.myshopify.com/pages/about-us

Mic, did you order the Cusco brace?

Mic, did you order the Cusco brace?
Nope, not yet. Holding out for a bit to see what Jordan can come up with.

OK... I ordered it without mounting... does this mean I'm not getting any nuts and bolts?
Yep, I believe so. Rob will be able to tell exactly based on what he received.

I ordered with mounting and it came with all of the hardware. I have no idea why they would sell it without mounting, but I didn't want to take a chance. Like I said previously, you'll save a lot without the mounting hardware but you may have a problem finding the red stopper. All the other stuff I listed is basic stuff.

Yup.. almost exactly like that.. I'm a kitchen/bathroom/furniture hardware salesman..lol

I as well don't understand.. All the Cusco Braces came in a retail packaging..... are they going to open the bag and remove the hardware?... we'll find out within 20 days..lol

exactly look at the first link ... is someone going to open the bag and take out the hardware?.... bop... it's nuts and bolts I think I can figure it out.

Nah, they just take it off the knockoff production line and don't bother giving you the hardware, lol Those Chinese are crafty...

Nah, they just take it off the knockoff production line and don't bother giving you the hardware, lol Those Chinese are crafty...

I was thinking.....

The guy who steals them off the production line charges less, cause it's easier to stuff just the brace down his pants....lol

To be honest, if it is a knockoff, it's a pretty damn good one. This thing was as solid as they come.