LegacyGT.com

Well, don't bother with the Vision Plus bulbs...

gtguy

The Osrams quote a nice improvement in lumen output, but as with flashlights, this can be deceiving. There's candlepower, there's lumen, there's all knids of way to measure light, and granted, lumen measurements are what I prefer, they still don't tell the complete tale. Much of the perceived output will still be affected by your optics and reflector assembly. A good example of this would be with two high-end flashlights. My SureFire M6 boasts 500 lumens for output (with optional lamp assmebly), but in your average household room, in a blackout, you'd be hard-pressed to think that it was much "brighter," than my SureFire E2D, which puts out "only" 60-65 lumens. Step outdoors, though, and the M6 becomes a friggin' beast - it's like a miniature aircraft landing light. The throw, or how far the light is cast forward, just seems endless. Meanwhile, the E2D barely will light up your walking path some 60' downrange. Certainly, the Osram SilverStars, on paper, boast quite the impressive lumen output as compared to the Sylvanias, but exactly how we will perceive this input is still subject to the limitations of our headlight optics and reflector assembly. For their relatively low cost, as a lighting enthusiast, I'm willing to try them against my current Sylvanias....when the latter expire. But certainly, I don't have enough faith in them to want to simply ditch my current Sylvania SilverStars. :) This all said, a fellow LGTer recently cited the use of Osram Rally 65 watt H7 bulbs to great success - and more than likely, this is three route I'd take over that of the "+50%" Osram SilverStars. The "+50%s," extrapolating from my flashlight experience, would result in barely noticeable improvements, which is borne out by PGT's and others' first-hand observations. I think that for the cost and the small increase in drain, the 65W H7s, rated at 2100 lumens -versus the 1640 lumen output of the "+50%" bulbs- would be worth the comparison against Sylvania SilverStars spec'ed at appx. 1300 lumen for the H7 application.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
one of these pics is stock bulb vs. Silverstar, the other is SilverStar on both sides: [url]http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3180[/url] [url]http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3179[/url]

PGT: Osram SilverStar? Or Sylvania? Also, if Osram, is that the "+50%," or the 65W? I keep looking, but it seem sthat people have only put up "close in" shots. I'd like to see some "long throw" shots, too - up close, there's simply too much glare and the hot-spot really, really make it hard to tell if anything much is going on. I wonder if this isn't much the same effect as seeing my SureFire M6 in a closed room, versys outdoors. But definitely, the Sylvania SilverStars do not do much at all in terms of lending additional "brightness," per se. For me, it's just a preference for their slightly higher color temperature, which I prefer for my low-beam application. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Osram SilverStars from powerbulbsUK. I drove on them for a week and removed them....no difference at all. In fact, one of them died. The only lamps I have installed that I felt made a difference were PIAA bulbs...forget teh model, but they weren't DOT legal. I did a Hella H4 conversion in my Jeep and usedd the PIAA's...bright as hell. I still have the bulbs....it so happens it works in my Bimmer for the lowbeam ;)

PGT - Thanks for the update. :) Do you by any chance remember if they were the "+50%" Osrams, or were they the 65W Osram "Rally?" It looks like you spoke of the "+50%" ones: [url="http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/default.asp?product.asp?P_ID=124&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=osram,h7&numPageStartPosition=1&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all"]http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/default.asp?product.asp?P_ID=124&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=osram,h7&numPageStartPosition=1&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all[/url] Hum.....it looks like they also have a Phillips H7 in 80W....damn, I still don't know if I want to go overwattage with Winky....

Don't worry about too much....it's the amps that hurt winky ;) I'll check the box tonight....I threw all my Osram bulbs in the bottom of my toolbox and forgot about them. Pretty sure I would have ordered the brightest they had at the time.

PGT - Roger that, and ayup, it's the amperage that'll hurt, but I've had enough bad (and good) experiences with aftermarket overwattage bulbs to give me pause. Rewiring one harness is one harness too many for me, LOL. :lol: Cool beans, and hey, no hurry. I won't be looking for the "Rally" until this set burns out. I, too, have a collection of "junk" bulbs. :D Thanks again, bro.

Archived