LegacyGT.com

Car sounds like it has a flat -- but tires are fine!

wheel bearing

+1

If the car shakes at speed then you have flat spots, if it's more of a constant hum or grind heard best on the highway (sounds different on different cars) then it's a bearing.

Is it coming from the front or rear? Another thing you'll notice if it's indeed a wheel bearing is the car will shimmy side to side slightly over bumps.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users
Wheel bearings aren't that bad to change out.

woof.

don't try this at home, without a slide hammer, 3 foot breaker bar, and a steel pipe for leverage. it's certainly not a friendly job.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• I Donated
woof.

don't try this at home, without a slide hammer, 3 foot breaker bar, and a steel pipe for leverage. it's certainly not a friendly job.

Or you could buy an electric impact wrench for $80 at Harbor Freight, a BFH for $5, a 32mm socket for $5, then get a piece of scrap wood for free, and use those items. (I am assuming you already have a basic socket set, but if not, add $25 for that.) You still come out way ahead of paying a mechanic to do it, and then you have an electric impact, which is awesome to use for all sorts of jobs. You could also get a slide hammer if you're so inclined (although I believe those are available from Autozone as a loan-a-tool). And the full R&R would take me about an hour and a half per bearing (probably less on the front), so it shouldn't take even a beginner longer than 3-4 hours.

• Mega Users
Or you could buy an electric impact wrench for $80 at Harbor Freight, a BFH for $5, a 32mm socket for $5, then get a piece of scrap wood for free, and use those items. (I am assuming you already have a basic socket set, but if not, add $25 for that.) You still come out way ahead of paying a mechanic to do it, and then you have an electric impact, which is awesome to use for all sorts of jobs. You could also get a slide hammer if you're so inclined (although I believe those are available from Autozone as a loan-a-tool). And the full R&R would take me about an hour and a half per bearing (probably less on the front), so it shouldn't take even a beginner longer than 3-4 hours.

whats a BHF?

• Mega Users
Not BHF, BFH. "Big F*cking Hammer." It is an indispensable tool. :lol:

oh haha I should have known that. I originally tried a BFH from under the car, but that biznatch didn't budge. I was concerned about how hard I was hitting it, so I just borrowed a local shops slide hammer to finish the job.

Bad bearings are easy to test for. Jack up each wheel, one at a time, until it is off the ground. Make sure the car is in gear so it doesn't roll away when you take off the parking brake. Release the hand brake. Grab the tire at 3 and 9 and try to wiggle it back and forth. Repeat at 12 and 6 wiggling up and down. If the wheel has any play in it, the bearing is bad.

I have 70,000 miles on mine and have had the front left bearing replaced twice now. They aren't known for how long they last. If it's a rear one, you may still be under warranty if you have less than 100k mi on your car. Might be a free fix, yay! Much better than doing it yourself!

I'm going to try to take it to the dealer later today.

I'd like to swap the wheels to rule out the tire first. Let's see what they say.

Either way I doubt they'll cover it due to being lowered + sways. We'll see!

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

• I Donated
If it's a rear one, you may still be under warranty if you have less than 100k mi on your car. Might be a free fix, yay! Much better than doing it yourself!

The extended warranty on rear wheel bearings only covers 05 and early 06es.

Didn't make it to the dealer today... But strangely it seemed to not be as prominent today.

On another note... It seems to only happen when I let off the gas...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

That's what I thought. It happens in gear or in neutral, though. Should have said that in the first place.

nope, noise stays the same wit clutch in or out.

It's definitly not a grinding. Just imagine having a flat. That's exactly what it sounds like. My coworker described it sounding between a flat tire and a "gurgling" type noise lol.

fulton, I'm not 100% sure. TBH, I've only been concentrating on speed, and it seems to be consistent no matter what speed I'm going. It seems to be a little less at lower speeds (<30), but from 40+ it definitely seems consistent.

I haven't paid any attention to RPM.

I'll be in the car tonight for a good amount of time so I will try to take notes.

Ok so I just spent an hour in the car.

The noise is definitely not getting worse. It actually seems to be getting better. Maybe its in my head. Maybe I couldn't hear it as much because of the weather.

Anyways, so it definitely seems random... But seems to be consistently happening at 60mph. Before it was happening at like 30, but not so much anymore. When it happens, it goes away when I give the car gas. Let off, it comes back. Its unrelated to rpm. If I hit the clutch or go into neutral it stays the same... That is until the car slows down to a point where it would go away anyway.

I'm bringing it to an independent mechanic tomorrow. I'll let him know everything and hopefully he can figure it out.

sounds like a wheel bearing.. if you drive at 40mph it will prob be the loudest, kinda go back and forth like a slalom, the noise will prob go away one way and louder the other, so if when you go left its louder than the right bearing is bad.. i know it sounds crazy..

Archived