LegacyGT.com

Cannot log WOT pulls

Cone_Killer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking through one of the romraider.com threads posted by invar and somebody said that Subaru used a chassis ground for the OBD port instead of a signal ground.

Could the port possibly be picking up interference from increased output at WOT from the chassis ground? Would there be any benefit to regrounding the OBD port to the negative battery terminal?

I'm not sure...just going off what I read in the thread. It wouldn't be hard to test both, but my biggest issue is hacking into the OBD port wiring :eek:

Does anyone know how hard it would be to change out the ECU? I found my metal tag for reprogramming, but after that is done by a Subaru dealership, is it just plug and play?

Subaru used a chassis ground instead of a direct ground signal from the ECU, to the OBD port. In theory, it should work just fine, but there can be too much interference from other devices, and the ECU hiccups and drops communication with the logger.

I recently just had to swap out my ECU again because of some dumb things on my part. I swapped back to my original ECU and found out I had to reprogram it again to work with my keys. But since that ECU had given me trouble in the past, I have another one on order. I have access to a SSM3, so reprogramming the ECU is no problem for me. Just make sure you bring ALL of your keys, including your valet key, when you get the ECU reprogrammed.

As I mentioned to the OP previously in a PM, what improved my logging problem the most was adding a .01μF ceramic capacitor between the wires for pin5 & pin7 of the OBD plug. This helped filter the electrical noise and enabled me to log at least one WOT pull after plugging in my Tactrix to the OBD port.

^^So you were able to do a WOT pull after the capacitor, but could you consistently get a complete log, even if you had to try a couple times? Also, did your new ecu help the logging issue at all or was it strictly the capacitor?

Would there be any benefit to grounding the port straight to the battery instead of to the chassis?

I was able to get a complete WOT log on the first pull after plugging in the tactrix. To get another log, I would have to turn off the car, unplug the tactrix, turn it back on, plug in the tractrix, restart RomRaider, then do my next pull.

There wouldn't be a benefit to grounding directly to the battery, as the problem is that the ECU signal ground is grounded to the chassis and the OBD signal ground pin is coming from the chassis. You would have to make a direct connection from the ECU signal ground to the OBD port's signal ground pin.

So do you think that you could have just put the capacitor on the 2 wires instead of changing out the ecu, or was it an internal problem with the ecu?

Edit: I'm not positive, but it looks like there is a signal ground as well as a chassis ground on the OBD port. Since the signal ground is also grounded to the chassis, maybe this is causing a ground loop under certain engine loads? Just think out loud...or in text :lol:

I tried the capacitor, but it was too frustrating to log. My setup is FAR from stock and just doing WOT logs for tuning wasn't enough. I didn't want to do the whole stop/restart procedure every time I was trying to tune.

Replacing the ECU makes it seem it was an internal issue with the old ECU, since everything works flawlessly after I replaced it.

I may give that a shot as I have access to a cabinet full of capacitors. The vag-com cable doesn't work (cuts out at ~4000rpm) but my friend's Tactrix 1.3 does. Following this pinout?

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/attachments/conversions-hybrids/30711-who-has-modified-their-own-ls1-harness-obd-ii_pinout.jpg

Archived