LegacyGT.com

The Parenthood Thread

laff79

Didn't your daughter just graduate? And she can't lock the door when she takes a shower??

She did just graduate, and she doesn't need to lock the door while showering. It's still my house. I 100% respect her privacy if she 100% respects us and our home. We are very laid back parents in many ways, however, respect is probably #1. I have never and will never walk in on her in the shower (nor her with us), but there are no locked doors. I've never had to do it, but always have said that the most heinous of crimes are punishable by removing her door from the frame. I may not do many things correctly, but I've raised a good, honest, strong girl who makes me proud every day.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vacuuming: Apparently the seventh circle of hell for six year olds.

Figured some of you may find this information useful in the future.

My 5 year old loves vacuuming and dusting. Every weekend she is right there next to me dusting the living room and bedrooms. She spent the first 4 years of her life at home with her mother during the days and has clearly picked up her cleaning skills from her.

The vacuum is just too burly for him. He LOVED dusting, which I wasn't quite sure how to deal with given the context. ;)

Last night he decided to throw stuff at his mom in anger. "It wasn't even big stuff". He changed his mind about how heavy/big it was when directed to stand straight up and hold it in front of him with arms extended and locked at a 90* angle to his body until I said otherwise.

Pushing my buttons, he is. This is a new pattern of crappy behavior on his part. Not quite sure wtf I'm doing.

The vacuum is just too burly for him. He LOVED dusting, which I wasn't quite sure how to deal with given the context. ;)

Last night he decided to throw stuff at his mom in anger. "It wasn't even big stuff". He changed his mind about how heavy/big it was when directed to stand straight up and hold it in front of him with arms extended and locked at a 90* angle to his body until I said otherwise.

Pushing my buttons, he is. This is a new pattern of crappy behavior on his part. Not quite sure wtf I'm doing.

Nice work from a 6 yr old. You must instill fear and respect in the lad. Good luck.

I hear you on that one.

Sometimes I feel the same way. You just have to stay consistent to avoid confusing them. To ensure they know what is an isn't acceptable and what is expected. Balance is key, you still need to let them be a kid, make a few mistakes and enjoy the freedom of being young while keeping them in check and molding them into a good, respectful person.

IT IS NOT EASY and that is why there are so many shitty people in the world.

Edited by 05GT Guru

It looked exactly how I remember it feeling when my mom would make me hold a pillow or even just a pen straight in front of me until muscle failure.

I wasn't prepared for how it looks from the other side. I had to stop it "early", well before he started shaking or any of that. He lost his 'ish pretty damn quick. It was absolutely horrible to watch. I don't know how my mom sat through it. Definitely made me second guess myself.

Nobody assaults my wife though. Nobody. Even and especially my own son.

Kid just texts me - she's a camp counselor-it-training... 'so I got like really sad a bit ago and IDK what to do. Like I have to be all happy for the kids and I don't want the staff to think I'm not good enough to do my job ssoooo. IDK'.

I told her to hang in there and keep a smile on her face... text me her blues... what made her sad. She says 'IDK. I'm just hot and sweaty and I feel like none of the counselors here really like me and like I don't really fit in'.

WTF How do I answer that????? Why is she so hard on herself? She's brilliant, pretty, smart, talented, etc. I just don't know what to tell her. Except that I love her. I'm just at a loss. She's camping outside in nasty MD weather. I know she didn't sleep well last night, so she's exhausted. I have no idea what to do. Sorry for the rant.

JJBerk - I'm not really sure what you can do. Everyone eventually needs to figure out their own way through. Just keep telling her that you love her, you're proud of her, and reminding her that you think the world of her.

Take pride in the fact that she was willing to text you about it. I know my sisters hardly talked to my parents when they were 17-20 as they were going through some of the roughest years.

Good advice ^^

These are also the life lessons that we all go through... Still on a daily basis. When we push through a crappy situation that we don't want to be in, and persevere, it only makes us stronger and more well rounded.

Personally, as long as she wasn't in danger, or on the verge of mental collapse, my underlying message to her would be to stick it out and make the best of it. That's life.

Now, when you factor the emotions of a teen girl into that advice, everthing I know just goes out the window! :lol:

I survived the my one year old's first two nights away from mom. Sunday night was rough, he screamed for four hours. I felt like I was going to die Monday morning at work. Last night was much better. He only got up once at 4:30. I can't wait for my wife to get back this afternoon.

• Moderators
I survived the my one year old's first two nights away from mom. Sunday night was rough, he screamed for four hours. I felt like I was going to die Monday morning at work. Last night was much better. He only got up once at 4:30. I can't wait for my wife to get back this afternoon.

Our son has a bit of natural separation anxiety at times--nothing that seems extreme, really. One thing that has worked for us during nighttime episodes is simply going in the room, laying him back down and then sitting for a while in the room. We have a stool that we'll sit on with our back to him.

It comforts him that we are just in the room. He won't necessarily fall asleep while we're there and often still screams a bit as you leave, but then quickly quiets down.

We don't acknowledge him really at all or talk while we're in there--if we do he likes to "talk" back or wants to start playing, lol. Super cute, but not conducive to sleeping :spin:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Our son has a bit of natural separation anxiety at times--nothing that seems extreme, really. One thing that has worked for us during nighttime episodes is simply going in the room, laying him back down and then sitting for a while in the room. We have a stool that we'll sit on with our back to him.

It comforts him that we are just in the room. He won't necessarily fall asleep while we're there and often still screams a bit as you leave, but then quickly quiets down.

We don't acknowledge him really at all or talk while we're in there--if we do he likes to "talk" back or wants to start playing, lol. Super cute, but not conducive to sleeping :spin:

LOL how old is your son? My son used to have short episodes like that but for the most part he never really got stranger danger either. First day of daycare he was in awe of all the toys and kids running around that he was practically pushing me out the door to leave. At night if he gets up and it doesn't sound like he'll get back to sleep on his own before tiring out we will check on him, lay him back down and talk to him for a minute or two until he calms down. We'll leave the room while he's still awake and usually he doesn't get back up the rest of the night.

• Moderators
el5y: sounds very similar. My son is 17 months old and very much the same--loves new people, places, etc. 50/50 I would say that he'll rush into a room and never look back or he'll cry for a bit as we leave, but it doesn't last very long if he cries.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

lol its rough I know. My wife deployed for 9 months after my son turned 1. Luckily I had my extended family around to help but for the most part all night duty was on me. That made for some rough, coffee laden mornings.

BarManBean - My son is 28 months now, when I drop him off at daycare he goes running to one of the providers. I call her his Morning Girlfriend. He'll play with her for a bit while I put his stuff into his cubby. When I say good bye he'll come running back to me, give me a hug and several kisses (each cheek, nose and forehead) then push me out the door to go back to his girl.

Kid just texts me - she's a camp counselor-it-training... 'so I got like really sad a bit ago and IDK what to do. Like I have to be all happy for the kids and I don't want the staff to think I'm not good enough to do my job ssoooo. IDK'.

I told her to hang in there and keep a smile on her face... text me her blues... what made her sad. She says 'IDK. I'm just hot and sweaty and I feel like none of the counselors here really like me and like I don't really fit in'.

WTF How do I answer that????? Why is she so hard on herself? She's brilliant, pretty, smart, talented, etc. I just don't know what to tell her. Except that I love her. I'm just at a loss. She's camping outside in nasty MD weather. I know she didn't sleep well last night, so she's exhausted. I have no idea what to do. Sorry for the rant.

my 18 yr old sends me texts like that on occasion. for some reason their generation has a hard time identifying with new people, im noticing. like everyone is against them and they dont want to be in the public eye. i just tell her to focus on the kids and try to have a good time. BTW, my daughter works at a daycare, its probably been the best thing for her mood and attitude lately. its been a good teaching tool for her.

I am grateful she texts me... I think I'm pretty lucky in that regard. Thanks for all the advice. I'm glad I'm not alone. 4 more weeks til she leaves for college. It's crazy!

ive been a big fan of the CTFD method for a long time. my ex hasnt been able to use it tho. sometimes it bites you in the ass, especially with teenage girls that see your calmness in what they think are alarming situations where i should apparently be freaking out and jumping into (over)action. and the lack of overreaction on my part means i dont give a shit. lol

Any of you with small kids, or those with older ones remember the terrible twos? My son this morning was killing me! He asked for sausage for breakfast, I get him some, he cries and says he wants a fruit pouch. I tried to get him to eat the sausage he asked for but he refuses and continues to cry. Finally I relent and get him a pouch of which he takes two sips and then throws it on the floor and says he doesn't like that one and wants chocolate. Being morning...and not having eaten anything else I said no and he proceeds to throw a fit, to the point of hyperventilating on the floor. Eventually he calmed down and asked if he could have some milk. I give him milk he throws the bottle and says he wants juice...

So...frustrated...and tired... :p