LegacyGT.com

The Parenthood Thread

laff79

If there's one topic of knowledge that I hope to impart onto my daughter (and future children), I hope it's science. The wife is an English major, so things could go either way.

I'm not even shooting that high. I intend to measure my success as a parent by how well I manage to preserve my kid's basic curiosity. Introducing him to as much mind-blowing, wonder-inducing stuff as I can is pretty much the game plan. Science provides a convenient repository of both mind-blowing ideas and an endless treasure trove of possibilities to pursue curiosity. win/win.

Plus I just like screwing with him and watching him get knocked on his ass by massive perspective shifts in real time.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We took our 22 month old on our first family vacation last week. 7 days, 1200 miles from Charlotte to Destin, FL on the gulf coast.

Her reaction to the beach varied based on the day but all in all, she had a great time. One day she loved it, the next, she wouldn't touch the sand or go in the water. And one day, all she wanted to do was walk around the beach. Of course she was too independent to want to hold hands, so she would try and walk up to people, say "hai" and grab their stuff :lol: Taking her hand resulted in a meltdown, so we ended up at the pool.

One of her big highlights seemed to be drinking a virgin pina colada. At the least, it occupied her for almost an hour :)

TinDestin.thumb.jpg.a76fbf35d9c58930a6d2a7cb6a65e347.jpg

I swatted mine once when he was still in diapers. Indescribably acute feelings of horror, shame and failure immediately followed.

Did the same thing and felt horrible. It was the scared response that killed me. It actually prompted me to really develop a strategy and method for discipline and not just in heat of the moment.

Can't believe she actually graduates tomorrow. I am going to be a HOT MESS. To make it more interesting, my father gets in at 12:40 tonight. It's going to be a long, interesting, tear-filled, hopefully cheery weekend!!!

I am a huge sucker, however, it was a lovely text. I sure as hell, 18 years in, don't know how to do this right. I'm hanging on for the ride tomorrow and bringing a shit-ton of tissue.

I am a huge sucker, however, it was a lovely text. I sure as hell, 18 years in, don't know how to do this right. I'm hanging on for the ride tomorrow and bringing a shit-ton of tissue.

Wear a lot of mascara tomorrow :)

She got it back with a TEXT? You are a sucker... :)

Considering what she did and today's dependence on technology, a text message apology is somehow unsurprising.

Edited by Ellesedil

I remember when kids (like me) mouthed off about their parents using speech and sometimes to the parents face. Ahhhh, those were the good old days.

Damn dude, how long ago was that????? ;)

We took our 22 month old on our first family vacation last week. 7 days, 1200 miles from Charlotte to Destin, FL on the gulf coast.

Her reaction to the beach varied based on the day but all in all, she had a great time. One day she loved it, the next, she wouldn't touch the sand or go in the water. And one day, all she wanted to do was walk around the beach. Of course she was too independent to want to hold hands, so she would try and walk up to people, say "hai" and grab their stuff :lol: Taking her hand resulted in a meltdown, so we ended up at the pool.

One of her big highlights seemed to be drinking a virgin pina colada. At the least, it occupied her for almost an hour :)

Where were you in Destin? My in-laws own a condo in the Tops'l resort, and we go there every year for 10 days or so.

Where were you in Destin? My in-laws own a condo in the Tops'l resort, and we go there every year for 10 days or so.

We were in a rental house on old highway 98, right across from Pompano Joe's.

We got married about 2 miles down the road at the Henderson Park Inn 3 years ago. It was nice to be back, I can definitely see making it a yearly vacation. The white sand and gulf water is gorgeous.