LegacyGT.com

Water pump?

Hi folks, posting from the side of the roadworks apologies for poor grammer.

Had some steam coming from the engine bay earlier, had a look around and felt like it was coming for above the bottom rad hose on the block side. Booked her inat the stealership for them to look at (my suspicion is a bad water pump).

Got 10 miles down the road to dealer and fans started running, so not to risk anything pulled over and am now waiting for a aaa tow.

My question - is it for sure the water pump or do you guys have other ideas? Bottom hose is cold, top hot, overflow tank normal. I would normally say tstat but that wouldn't explain the leak would it?

This gates pump only has 50k on it for those pondering oem or nots information .

• I Donated Too

never mind the grammar. wut?

didn't understand some of what you were saying but water pump is needed to move the hot water around the system, so if bottom is cold and all hot up top... then your guess is probably correct, other than a blockage preventing the water flowing... So you have 155K on the engine?

Some pics of the WP for anyone interested/wondering if they should use OEM or not. I have no idea why the impeller started grinding on the housing, it almost seems there were not enough spacers installed for the correct clearance.

Like I said, lucky that the pulley held out, only just by the looks of it - it is almost unturnable by hand even with the impeller broken off.

604968418_PhotoFeb27100941PM.jpg.21111eb43659cb46dc97b5e4f949b215.jpg

1562947430_PhotoFeb27101006PM.jpg.0fea3cccbad53834d8c371e74968fc53.jpg

1953362965_PhotoFeb27101016PM.jpg.3b8a143e0059fe68c94ad416b02260d6.jpg

Any update from Gates?

I've pretty much given up. Called them and apparently they do not deal with warranty claims from the end user. I would have to contact the firestone service center in VA that did the timing belt for the PO. As I am in Colorado right now Im not sure thats going to work.

• I Donated Too
I am very sorry to hear that. I think a lot of us have Gates parts - I have assumed them to be very good - but good needs to also be backed up with good customer service.

I am very sorry to hear that. I think a lot of us have Gates parts - I have assumed them to be very good - but good needs to also be backed up with good customer service.

Meh, shit happens, just glad it didnt take my engine.

Looking at numerous posts on the forum I get the feeling that its just the water pump that people have had trouble with.

I had a water pump lock up on an outback my wife drives and it snapped the timing belt. Pistons hit every valve!

Nasty! I bet it cost a little more than the $600 Glenwood Springs suba charged me. I actually was very impressed with the service, normally I stay away from the dealers but Alex in the service department was extremely fair, they helped me out a little too - cant say enough kind words about them.

Where in CO are you? I may be able to help you with a warranty claim for Gates.

Every suby shop I know uses Gates TCKWP328 and I rarely hear of problems. Stuff happens though.

Im in Avon, working up at Beaver Creek. The posts I read were probaly old ones regarding the poor fitment of the pumps, I am sure they have improved the issues by now, I just must of had a dud.

If you have the invoice from the shop in VA, you should contact them and see if they will you out.

I thought OEM was Gates also ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived