LegacyGT.com

Strange Hesitation

I forgot check out the egr valve and also test the VSV valve for the egr. You can check it buy running the engine and hook up a vacuum line to the top of the egr and suck on the hose, it should die or almost die. Also remove the tube and check for carbon build up.

I will try that. There is an oil like leakage around the intake manifold gaskets.

I read up on the valve guide thing. This is a good possibility this car before me was not well maintained. NOT thrilled about it if thats the case... Its trade in time for this bish. I'll start trying to work the manifold bolts loose.

My car is phase 2 and does not have EGR.

The car was a little better today after all the work I did last night.

Thanks a bunch for the insight!!!

What do you mean your car is a phase 2 and don't have a egr valve? My 99 LGT is a P2 and mine has a egr valve. Oh I see you own a L so I'm guessing it's the 2.2 and they don't have a egr valve?

I used to own a 96 L and before my valve guide dropping I had a very slight misfire and since I work a at shop I used the evap smoke tester and found a intake gasket leak at the #1 cylinder. When I replaced the gaskets I noticed the gasket was a composite type so I thought it was replaced once. Figuring Subaru would use a MLS gasket I ordered a OEM gaskets and when I got them they were the composite gasket. I too had oil leaking right were the intake gasket leak was so the oil probably deteriorated the gasket. It's weird cuz I know Subaru used a MLS gasket on the 2.5's.

Yes I have 2.2. Tonight I will perform the carb spray test and begin soaking the exhaust Mani bolts with penetrating stuff. Are there any sensors inside the intake manifold that might be dirty? My intake was loose before the MAF for a time... might be a contributing factor.

• 3 weeks later...

I did the carb spray test a couple different times with no results all over the engine bay. The hesitation is as intermittent as ever.

Having the AC on seems to make it misfire at idle with the compressor running. Thinking the car has a hard time reacting to changing load.

Have not had time to pull manifold for dropped valve guides.

• 3 weeks later...
Ive been looking into my problem more and more. Car runs so good except where it hesitates so its got to be something stupid. Its either TSB 11-58-99... And I need a new ECM or I over torqued my knock sensor and broke it... Or I have main bearing slop being picked up by the knock sensor... going to pull the knock sensor off and see if I can replicate the stumbles.

So frustrated.

Cleaned the TPS... and MAF ....jacked with knock sensor still stumbles same as ever. Spent hours with scan tool. Nothing jumps out as bad...

Anyone ever get their ECU reflashed at the dealer?

What is the best place to get a quality MAF at?

it sounds like almost the same issue i ran into with a honda. bad ecm was sending very haphazard pulses to the injector on cylinder 2, only sometimes. caused a horrible misfire that would come and go, engine ran perfect when it wasn't misfiring. im not familiar with recalls or tsbs for a 99. the knock sensor is definitely not picking up such a minor bearing knock, how are you certain it is not just piston slap?

quality maf, rockauto.com

possible dirty/sticking injector only sometimes? can you determine whether its a rich or lean misfire? easy way to tell is to see if the cat is glowing after a long run of it misfiring while driving..

call the dealer ask for service and have them run your vin if you're not the original owner, have them check for open recalls and tsbs and whether they were performed

Did you end up replacing ecm?

The knock or piston slap issue doesn't seem to correlate with the hesitation but overall performance does seem to suffer when its being noisy but I am not seeing it in the timing advance ie knock sensor cutting timing. If it is its so fast the scan tool isn't catching it but once in awhile.

Which MAF to get? Huge price difference between cheapest and most expensive. What's the diff?

Injector meh it would show up across all performance I would think not just low rpm.

Dealer wouldn't say what was done. Have appointment Tuesday to have them hook to scan tool regardless $70... Cheaper than guessing with parts.

Last night I put in a new pcv valve to replace the rattling one and reset the ecu... No real change but the ecu doesn't hammer when its stumbling anymore.

Yes tps response is linear. The problem is this is such a split second fault tps MAF knock sensor or other could be jacked up and during that split second the scan tool may not be catching it. It is an obd2 Bluetooth code reader and the torque app.

For in stance Dufek125 and I took a test ride and he watched the reader. On two occasions the timing advance went to -12 degrees. But these instances didn't correlate with hesitation. In fact we couldn't get the driving hesitation to show up. But parked off idle revs still choke and it has hesitated several times since then.

BTW a big thanks to Dufek he's been helping me with this since March.

Dealer techs were as stumped as I was. Their scan tool worked worse than mine and there were no outstanding "files" present in their system to upload to the ecu. If there was a reflash available it would have showed up. The car didn't mess up on the test drive but still hesitated like crazy on off idle revs. They guessed based on the data that the MAF sensor might not be working right but they hadn't seen one fail like this.

They quoted $360 for a MAF but if he ran it through an account $280.

An expensive semi diagnosis... $90...

I guess its MAF shopping for me...

• 4 months later...

Back again boys and girls.

A vid of my hesitation with fuel pressure. (6 months later cold ass day to play outside under the hood of a car)

Again... this is an off-idle stumble that regularly kills the engine in the middle of intersections and makes it a bucking son of a bish coming out of lights unless you rev it high. If its settled down in low idle it just doesnt want to come off it with any speed. Any thoughts?

Hesitation happening during squeaking rattling time.http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/GhettoGothCowboy/th_VID_20131215_105233_784_zps68552b66.jpg

Click on the photo only way I could link to vid

Hello;

I would try a knock sensor off of ebay. For under $12.00 might just be the ticket. Steven.

Are the ebay sensors pretty good quality? I was going to get a new knock sensor before I put my new motor in. I usually like to buy oem parts though.

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is ancient but!!! Hopefully someone learns something from it.

I ran premium gas all the time (helped) changed my driving habits, got mad. I was literally ready to set the car on fire because of this hesitation. Then the gas tank rusted out. And the brakes went to hell.

After a year of searching I scored an ecu for $40. It didn't fix the problem. The guy I got the ecu from was like.. hey man I had problems with spark plug wires.

the spark plug boot on cylinder number 2 had this carbon track in it.

Plug wires, brakes, rims and tires and a repaired gas tank and I'm extremely pleased with it. Smooth quiet plenty of get up and with the bigger rims and low pros it handles great.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/GhettoGothCowboy/IMG_20140506_182819_645_zpsa620092b.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/GhettoGothCowboy/IMG_20140510_174413_445_zps68cf8282.jpg

Thank you everyone, without your support I'd have... well set my car on fire in my yard. Lol

Archived