LegacyGT.com

WRX seat swap trouble

Picked up some wrx front seats the other day, but having issues taking the old seats out. 4 out of the 5 bolts came out no problem, but the lower bolt holding the right rear of the driver seat rail refuses to come out. It spins but won't unscrew and the same bolt on the other seat does the same thing. I tried prying on the bracket but that didn't help. Anyone else have this issue?

Yea its rusted and stripped it seems like (thread wise).

Hit it with some kick ass penetrating oil (aerocroil or oil of wintergreen) and while unthreading it have someone give you positive pressure outward. So wedge a pry bar like you were and keep working it.

Or... drill out the bolt and clean out the remaining metal in the threads, go to the hardware store and grab some taps that size and clean her out and be sure not to damage threads.

GL.

The threads are right in the floorboard. Looking underneath wont do ya good.

Another method if it becomes an absolute female dog, is to actually go under with a pin punch and try wacking them out inward towards the cabin.

But that usually results in having to drill bigger and re tap with a different thread

You could try to have someone with a center punch or screwdriver push up on the other end of the screw under the car (if you can see it) and continue unscrewing it. Word of caution. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL IF YOU OR SOMEONE GETS UNDER THE CAR. WITHOUT THE CORRECT EQUIPMENT, PEOPLE HAVE DIED. just thought I'd share that part.

I am almost positive the threads for the seats are weld nuts. If those nuts break off then you are going to have to cut the bolt to remove the seat. I am also pretty sure you cannot reach the weld nuts from under the car.

I am almost positive the threads for the seats are weld nuts. If those nuts break off then you are going to have to cut the bolt to remove the seat. I am also pretty sure you cannot reach the weld nuts from under the car.

That's right, I checked my parts SUS

if you have access to a welder just run the bolt back into the nut after you get your seats situated and put a couple quick tacks on the nut to weld it back to the body, you don't need a full weld in there metal kind of thin so be careful not to blow through....good luck enigma, glad you got it out bud.

i'm Hispanic, my wife is white, my half brother is black. that being said, i can explain it and not give a good god damn what others have to say on the matter. he meant the bad words jerry/nigger rigging or the peruvian hammer fix. there said it. am i on time out or are the balls still swinging?

Archived