LegacyGT.com

Cheap(ish) K&N 33-2304 High Performance Replacement Air Filter

Not sure if this is the right section to post this under (I posted under 4th gen because I know this filter fits the car; I'm not sure if it fits the other generations). A mod can move as s/he sees fit.

I thought I'd give a heads up for anybody who may be due for an air filter in the near future.

Locally, the cheapest I can find this particular K&N filter is around $45ish + tax.

Advance Auto Parts (if you have them around where you live) has them for $49.99. Using coupon code "ES123" you can get $20 off $50. Because it's $0.01 under, you have to add a filler item to use the discount so go with something like this for 29 cents. After discounts and tax the filter came to just under $32, which is pretty good considering the STP and Fram are about $15.

Great info.

Just make sure you do not over oil the filter. Seems many people do.

FWIW, I have had a Perrin panel filter since my wagon had about 3000 miles on it. I use the K&N cleaning kit once a year. I'm still using the same kit I bought back in 2005.

I should order one of these filter for my Spec B.

Just ordered a filter and a bottle of Permater Anti-Seize lubricant. I'll use that anyway's.

Total order was $39.86

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Correct should not need a tune. I put the Perrin Panel filter in the wagon with about 3000 miles on it, and did not get Cobb AP until it was released Dec 04.

I had no issues with the car.

Not that getting a custom tune is a bad thing, I think most of us know the factory tune sucks.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Seriously? A tune for a filter, please elaborate. Thx

Well, it's been a debate where some people feel it's just fine to use such a filter while others believe it may cause your engine to run lean. I created that thread a while ago exactly about that issue. You'll see that lots of people say it's OK. But there are some that do swear it's a no no. Search over on NASIOC.

Here is a post from Seabass: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/446340-post6.html

Correct should not need a tune. I put the Perrin Panel filter in the wagon with about 3000 miles on it, and did not get Cobb AP until it was released Dec 04.

I had no issues with the car.

Not that getting a custom tune is a bad thing, I think most of us know the factory tune sucks.

I noticed that the Stage 2 93 tune on my AP says that i need to use stock air box, and stock filter. I put the stock intake back in but am using a the K&N drop in. I havent noticed any issues yet... but is it okay to use it with the AP?

Archived