LegacyGT.com

Cylinder 1 & 3 Misfire

While heading up to the mountains this weekend to take advantage of Nemo I stopped at a convenience store. My OBXT was running fine until them. When I started it again it was running rough, shook a ton under load and had a lack of power. The check engine light (and flashing cruise) was on and flashing at times. After talking with the dealer they said to not drive it when the check engine light is flashing so I had it towed home. I checked the codes and its throwing a cylinder 1 and cylinder 3 misfire. The service guy at the subaru dealer said it could of just been a short from all the snow getting up into the engine bay, but its been a couple days now and its still throwing the codes. I'm assuming cylinder 1 and 3 are on the same side of the engine. Anyone have an opinion on this? Where should I start? New plugs and wires? I haven't been able to find anything on here about both cylinder 1 and 3 misfires.

So it is due for plugs in the near future anyways... Worth pulling and having a look. I would do a compression & leakdown check while you are in there.

Do you know if the passenger side banjo bolt filter has ever been checked? Are there any other codes besides the P0301 and P0303? Like a P0011, perhaps?

I do not know if the banjo bolt filter has been checked. Is it worth cleaning/replacing that as well?

Nope, just the two codes.

After clearing them last night I just took it out to see if anything has changed. The check engine light wasn't on until heavier acceleration. Then it would flash. The car is running rough though. Shakes at idle and vibrates while driving.

Yes, at this point you need to assess the overall health of the turbo as well as the integrity of the motor. I would stop driving it immediately since catastrophic failure is a possibility, although it may still be something simple.

If the car was in my shop I would be pulling the turbo to check it's health, checking the banjo bolt filter, and running the compression & leakdown check on bank 1 at a minimum. If you are lucky and catch it before it truly fails, the cost of repair is much less.

The coil in cylinder 3 was completely delaminated. They all looked bad but cylinder 3 was by far the worst. After clearing the codes we could only get cylinder 3 to misfire. So it may have been a false misfire when it threw cyl 1 or all the snow in the engine bay caused both to misfire but cyl 1 wasn't bad enough to misfire again after the bay dried out.

• 3 years later...
I'm having cylinder 1 and 3 misfires I told my 07 lgt to the shop replaced the s.p. ngk of course and a coil pack then swaped them around. Next day c.e.l cylinder 1 n 3 misfire again. I read somewhere it mite be my engine isn't grounded or maybe I need new fuel lines? Anyone have any ideas smart ones lol thank you

• 9 months later...
I am also having cylinders 1 and 3 misfire on my 05 OBXT. Converted to 6MT from 5AT and ROM changed to latest of OBXT manual trans ROM, but I'm guessing that's unrelated. Just changed fuel pump, cleaned MAF, reset idle... all things clearly helped my main issues, but still getting codes for 1 and 3 misfires. Engine stalls at times. Generally when going from 3rd or 4th to neutral and slowing to a light. Spark plugs changed a month ago with no noticeable change. Timing belt and the whole deal done 1.8 years ago. Only thing I'm thinking now is the coil packs. I have an extra set. Perhaps swap the 2 tomorrow. Doesn't seem promising though. Anyone got anything definitive on this issue? I guess FPR could be one to check. Already acquired and on my to do list to install is an aeromobile FPR, bigger injectors rails and lines.

Archived