LegacyGT.com

Intake anyone?

BigT

After reading up a bit i think that I would like to install intake on my car. Would anybody be able to tell me if this is a difficult task? I am pretty handy, but I don't really know anything about cars, except the very basics. Anyone got any ideas? I was also toying with the idea of constantly switching it with the original part so as to avoid warranty problems. Any opinions?

An intake is typically a very easy mod - like rclark0032 cited, the "Intake Silencer Removal" thread is a great walk-through.

Most aftermarket intake kits will provide explicit instructions, making them *very* beginner-friendly, and easily suitable for anyone who is decently handy mechanically.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Rclark0032: Are you going to reply to all my posts in a Silky Johnsonish way? Hate! Hate! Hate!

Everyone: I was really talking about the Perrin preformance short ram intake found here

http://legacygt.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=16&sort=7&cat=44&page=1

This is obviously not the same as just removing something. Also, will this violate warranty?

-T

if u r looking for bigger sound,, then get an intake,, if u r lookin to increase the power get an upipe instead... the stock airbox is good to about 350whp sp need need to upgrade unless u like the sound

I stand by what I said. Don't try to hid mods from your dealer dm.gif

Out of curiosity, why ?

Are they upfront and honest to all the punters who buy cars from them ?

How many AP owners here "divorce" it from their cars at each service, I know I will when I receive mine. Not that I'm a dishonest person, just that it would complicate a normally uncomplicated event.

Out of curiosity, why ?

Are they upfront and honest to all the punters who buy cars from them ?

How many AP owners here "divorce" it from their cars at each service, I know I will when I receive mine. Not that I'm a dishonest person, just that it would complicate a normally uncomplicated event.

Of course not if you have major engine damage which could have been caused by the modification.

Some of the dealerships I've been to would deserve such.

I don't know how many times I've been given the run around for simple tasks.

You come in for a recall....which is supposed to be FREE....and they some-how come up with a dozen other items that are "important." Then they try to tell you that a replacement of tires through somebody other than them voids the warranty. What's that garbage all about!?

[/RANT]

I've read the LGT intake is fairly free flowing as it is. Why would you wanna spend almost 200$ to replace something that's working just fine?

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

I must disagree that there is no need to make an intake change. On my stock tuning car with an upipe downpipe and boost controller it made a noticeable difference. About a car and a half in the quarter. This was from me beating a LT1 Firebird (that is modified C5 Vette type fast) by 2 cars for about three runs consistantly, that changed to about 3 cars five minutes later when it was installed four runs. Now about 3 weeks later about 3.5-4 cars consistantly after the computer learned it. Judgeing by that I would say it did about 10-15hp.

How many AP owners here "divorce" it from their cars at each service,

I never have :D

The dealer loves my car, I give them new info when I come in everyday...they learn more from me then their subaru training crap....

Car has only been to the dealer 1 time;) Perrin intake was installed about 2 weeks ago, no Bog...maybe helped a little up top! Much better mod than a BOV in my opinion, basically gives you a audible mod & a minor performance mod:)
Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

93formula, BigT, and All -

I'm definitely not going to get into the ethics of modding a "new" car, under warranty or not, leased/purchased. :) That should be saved for another thread, All, as it would truly bridge in to a much deeper discussion, IMHO.

BigT, without discussing ethics, yes, *any* modification to your vehicle will specifically void your warranty on that particular stock component and directly related components. While that's clear-cut, the less-so is that any more extensive damage must be proved by the dealer to have been directly caused by the mod in-question. The latter concern, of course, is one which will most likely need to be solved by litigation - at which point your out-of-pocket expenses for a retainer would likely equal or exceed that of the repair.

In other words, the tried-and-true old saying in the tuner and hot-rod world of "you've gotta pay to play" always applies. Cars are big boy/girl toys. Cowboy up. :) I'm not trying to be unkind - this is just the way it is.

---

BigT, with the Perrin Short Ram, it does delete the stock airbox - which also thus deletes the stock airbox resonnator. Give a search for that product, or even just read through the "Silencer Removal" thread cited previously, and you'll see that this particular product is mentioned several times just in that thread alone.

Further technical and not-so-technical (i.e. aural) info. is available in this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15782&highlight=perrin+short+ram

As for the intake actually making much power.....

93formula's rather qualitative testing/comparison and butt-dyno aside, there's "proof" from at least one fellow LGTer that an intake, in and of itself, with a proper tune, should be able to extract between 5 to 15 whp. However, this figure and the dyno proof itself is under debate between many members, and so far, the verdict is still out.

What is of concern to many is whether or not if such aftermarket intakes will further lean-out the A/F mixture, and if it will do so to dangerous levels. Speculation about this particular characteristic ranges from "this is why such an intake can net appreciable performance gains" all the way to "this is why (insert your tuner's name of choice here) is hesitant or even refuses to put an off-the-shelf map with an aftermarket intake." So far, to the best of my knowledge, no one has logged any aftermarket intake to see exactly what it does in this respect.

I, myself, with plans to be Cobb Stage II (in that I need the Cobb AccessPort itself, which is currently a budget-constrained purchase) by this late fall, am pursuing why it seems that the Cobb AP FAQ on-line specifically mentions/addresses the concern of aftermarket intakes, specifically in that they have maps for most of the popular aftermarket "short rams" and deem them to be predictable enough to load for specific customers who desire such units to be used in conjunction with their AP - but that no-one in our community seem to be taking advantage of this service. Should my current Forum inquiries go unanswered until the time when I make my AP purchase, I will then at that point approach Cobb directly...but at this particular time, I'd rather not press them with questions from an as yet "vapor" customer ("Uh, yes, my name is Allen, and I don't own your product, but I'd like you to spend an hour on the phone with me anyway to answer some questions...." :rolleyes: ), if y'all get my drift. ;)

Net, by current popular agreement, is that any intake for the LGT is more an aural mod, but neither party -those who insist that an intake, be it alone or with an aftermarket tune will make appreciable power versus those who insist that the mod will not net such improvements and may actually be very unsafe for the car's engine- have been able to produce, IMveryHO, satisfactory qantitative data, with proof, to entirely validate their case.

I'm not bashing anyone here - as a LGT-enthusiast, I would love to know, for certain, what the story is here via some serious proof, and am currently "just stating the facts." :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Right.... Well I appreciate all of the time that you guys spent in replying to my concerns. Basically I'm walking away with 1. Intake may, or may not have improved power performance, and 2. it will most definetely void my warranty. As for the ethical issues regarding the matter I have to point out that ethically the company is probably lacking somewhere, which doesn't make it right for me to do the same, but I think that I'll make my own judgement call on that. For your information I also spit in the street sometime, so if you want to alert your congressman that I am hiking taxes for street cleaning expenses I'll be more than happy to send you a picture of me in the act.

On another subject perhaps you guys can help me with some other questions. I am basically looking for a mod that will improve performance, and not make my car sound like the ultimate lawnmower. I would also like something that I can do myself, and learn from. I was told that intake is the easiest mod to do with the best price and power attached. I was told this by people with a maxima and a toyota. Perhaps intake is different on each car. Thanks for all your help.

-Tom

PS What do IMHO, and lean-out the A/F mixture mean, and can you guys explain terms as you use them? Thanks a bunch.

Maxima's and most Toyota's are NA, while our cars are FI. That could be where they're getting the "butt-dyno" feel of improved throttle from an aftermarket intake.

Ethics? I don't even wanna know where that came from.

IMHO ~ In My Honest Opinion.

A/F ~ Air Fuel ratio. It's important on FI cars to maintain a certain mixture of Air & Fuel. To lean means not enough fuel, running too rich means too much fuel in the mixture. A good rule of thumb in tuning (from my very basic knowledge of it) is that it's better to run rich, then to run lean.

As for doing mods yourself for learning purpouses.....go for the AP. Add in an UP & DP yourself. Switch the OEM air filter for a drop in Blitz or similar. Then....as time goes on and you want more power....you can swap the BOV (no gain), the TMIC for a larger one and then onto a larger turbo!

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

Easiest mod, best gains......AP 100% hands down. It won't change the sound of your engine at all.....also gives you more felxiblity for more mods down the road, say a DP and flash to stage 2.......then no more real need for more power :dm:

Oh, and FI = "Forced Induction" - i.e. turbocharger, supercharger, etc. ;)

And definitely, +1 on going Cobb AccessPort (typically abbreviated "AP"), Stage I.

Won't get your hands dirty, but you'll get some nice gains. If you do want to get your hands dirty, a catless (read: without catalytic converter, aka "cat-delete") UP (Up-Pipe: for this, check the Cobb website FAQ, they've got a good diagram to explain to you what all the various "pipes" we Scooby owners talk about all the time are, and of their relation to the most common power mods to these rides) and either a "shorty" (which allows you to either retain your stock third cat -yes, we've got three cats from the factory)-or install a high-flow aftermarket cat, or even run a "test pipe" - another form of cat-delete) or just totally catless DP (Down-Pipe) will get you some small gains, too, including faster turbo spool-up (by a few hundred RPM), and will make your car sound a little meaner (depending on precise choice of mods, but usually is associated most with a catless DP).

Still, whatever you do, it'll still void your warranty to the extents described previously.

..but his post was asking about intakes;)

Tru dat, tru dat.... :)

Hum....K&N/Perrin, AVO, or Blitz panel?

Archived