LegacyGT.com

Gearbox oil change

I have a 09 diesal estate manual gearbox, i.m changing the box and rear diff oil at the weekend, am i right in thinking that the front diff is part of the gearbox so i only need to change the one lot of oil. Also is it in obvious for the oil drain as well dont want to undo the wrong plug. Thx Jon

I'll assume you have the 70torx to remove the plug. if it's a 6 speed you may need to remove the drain plug too.

The car will need to have the rear end jacked up the drain all the fluid.

I'm also guessing you need either 5 qt's of Extra-S or Amsoil Severgear 75w-90 or the cocktail of 3qt redline lightweight shockproof and .8 Motul 300 and .8 Motul in the read diff.

Do not over tighten the plugs in the read diff.

BAC5.2 is the expert on this stuff, may be he'll chime in soon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes, should be the same as our 5mt's.

Make sure you only use one of the three fluids I mentioned.

You don't know how picky these tranny's are.

Many have learned the hard way.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated Too
jon450 - Halfords on Weeden Road, Daventry or Kettering have suitable oil... don't buy their home grown brand for these cars, use the good stuff... not comma oil either - they should have Castrol Syntrans 75W-90 - whichever one is nearest to you, just give them a call first to make sure they have enough in stock.

I used regular old valvoline 75w90 for a spell and it was fine...

I know the difference btw extraS and valvoline first hand :p, but it's also what dealerships use in the other 90% of the 5mt Subarus in North America they service.

Archived