LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I managed to snag this track day for $99, and because of the high temperatures I had only plan on running the morning 3 sessions. When I came off track at 11:30ish at the end of the 3rd session it was already 90ish. The heat and some excessive tire pressure led to the tires getting pretty well cooked. I was getting lots of rubber build up and then it would launch it off the tires.

29666178048_f991883dd6_b.jpg

41729493300_1c1c323753_b.jpg

29666174208_c5d4f16ac4_b.jpg

41729494010_656f6b1d63_b.jpg

29666176918_6d92a4c4a1_b.jpg

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Pro pics from FM Summer Camp are in, and I finally got time to sit down and go through everything...

Most of these pics are by the pro photog for the event, Travis Ingram. All credit to him for the great shots, and apologies for some of the crops. You can check out his work here: https://www.travisingramphotography.com/

41868849790_82938efbb0_c.jpg

43630407162_7380701ee9_c.jpg

29807118808_b34f4ca31c_c.jpg

41868847050_5bae471282_c.jpg

Lots of other cool cars there as well... how 'bout an LS3 NB on 275 Hoosiers?

42961723754_d0060b8b08_c.jpgTRJolly1 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Turbo Exocet?

42961724034_8433923a05_c.jpg

Or a handbuilt (as in the guy made every part of the chassis!) Seven rep with Miata drivetrain...

42961724124_9ce0e8a3c0_c.jpg

Lots of great stuff... can't wait 'till next year! :D

So which cars do the girls go for? I'm betting the homebuilt Seven becz they think the owner can fix everything at home himself.

Nope, they're smart enough to know that a guy that builds cars from scratch probably hasn't got time for their shit! :lol:

Besides, everyone knows the girls go for the Mustangs...

41868849030_b32590f818_c.jpg

:hide:

Muscle car girls just make me sad. :(

I told a cute 50ish woman she was hot today when I went to get a bagel. She was driving a Volvo V70R. She immediately told me she hated it and she would give me her husband's phone number if I wanted to buy it. She was pretty funny, but I told her that her sales pitch should not include the statements that "it's a beater" and "I hate it." She also thought it was too loud and laughed when we left together, and I started my aftermarket exhaust 350Z parked next to her.

Too bad she was married. And the Volvo was a 6 speed manual! Of such transmissions, dream women are made of!

• 2 months later...

Wow, can't believe this thread has been idle since July...

My Miata has been sitting in the trailer since June, because of other shit going on. Like a little road trip in the camper last month...

44405974184_3d3db337d9_b.jpg

Last week I brought it home and stuck it in the garage to work on a couple issues so we could make a track day in a couple weeks (I hope).

Wilwood brake reservoir split on the joining line, spewing brake fluid around...

43374142530_2d839b2417_c.jpg

I've got the m/c out, and a new reservoir, and I'm also going to make some new lines because the mess of adapters and lines to hook up the m/c and prop valve were driving me crazy. Hoping to get it done this weekend if all my parts show up....

Yeah, we had a good time. We both enjoy getting out on the road and seeing the countryside. Tolls through IL, IN and OH were a bitch, though. It wasn't a lot of $$ but it kills me to pay a toll to drive on a federal Interstate... :mad:

I never had to retreat to the camper... though I thought about it a couple of times... :lol:

I used to really enjoy touring on my motorcycle, but sleeping on the ground just doesn't cut it anymore. Guess I'm getting old. :p

At least in IN, not a federal interstate. Our Bitch Mitch Daniels (ex-gov) sold that interstate to a private consortium out of Australia years back. It is now a for profit toll road. You know, cause privatization solves all problems. I waiting for the Presidency to be privatized some time soon. Trump, ya know. ;)

So, I've been working on the brakes and a couple other things. Trying to be ready for a trackday next weekend.

I fabbed up a bracket for the brake prop valve and 'T' fitting for the front lines that will bolt onto the booster with the m/c to keep everything stable and satisfy my OCD.

30318331897_61ebe9581e_c.jpg

I've also been working on the coolant routing. After doing the re-route and eliminating the heater core, I ended up with a big loop of hose in the system. The hose is unhooked, but you can see it in this photo:

44534706594_936ce030b0_c.jpg

The problem is that the stock hard line orientation is the same as the outlet on the back of the head, requiring a 180* turn from the hose. Among the parts I brought home from FM this Summer were a few different coolant pipes that I picked up with the intention of fixing the problem. I sectioned some of the pipes, and welded them on to an extra stock pipe, and came up with this (on top, stock pipe on bottom):

43462906470_872c098486_c.jpg

Installed:

45228071712_6873d44b2f_c.jpg

Now it just has to turn a 90*, and I already found an appropriate hose at the local parts store.

On to some brake line bending...

Master cylinder is back in, with a new, one-piece reservoir and the bracket for the prop valve and 'T' fitting.

45282439501_f540c79884_c.jpg

I managed to re-use the original line to the left front, with some creative bending, saving some time and effort. Everything is still a lot cleaner than the previous mess.

I used an Eastwood flaring tool to make the lines. Worked like a champ!

25304infoimage640.jpg

Fortunately, I didn't have to uncover the m/c port for the front circuit when I replaced the reservoir, so I should just have to bleed the lines tomorrow.

Edited by rodan

Great day at the track today!

ProAutosports at Arizona Motorsports park.

30519381607_be19609177_c.jpg

No more leaks in the NA, and took a second out of my best lap time.

First time for the Mustang on track. My wife kinda likes it...

30519380927_793c77ffa7_c.jpg

Considering it's on all-season Michelins, it did really well. I was able to get within 2 seconds of my time in the NA, which says something about power v. grip on this track. The Mustang had a 10+ mph advantage at the end of the straights, but was falling behind in the corners. Oooh, that power, though... :D

It felt really composed, but the stability control doesn't deal all that well with sliding tires. It does have quite a bit of body movement, but as long I was smooth with the inputs it didn't feel out of sorts. Definitely going to need more spring with stickier tires.

What really impressed me was my wife got within 2 seconds of my best in the Mustang! I think I'm going to end up building her a car sooner than I planned... :p

45459618921_fc8b1ddec6_c.jpg