LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

Hopefully not too OT.. I'm also wanting to try some auto-x (did it once last year) and some HPDE stuff. But, I can't justify a car JUST for that, since I could do that max 10 times a year, and then 1-2 days a week to work and back. Meanwhile, every day I drive kids to school, and drive the family around on weekends. So, I'm looking for a fun sedan that can stretch to do some auto-x/track duty. If I end up doing it a lot, THEN I can look at a beater DD + fun track car..

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Among those choices, I'd definitely go NC.

Our NC was pretty good on track... still easy on consumables, and can fit 255 rubber. With the PRHT, it was a pretty good daily, but still a bit spartan and noisy compared to an actual coupe.

Are the Twins (FRS/BRZ) dropping into your price range yet? Not a very inspiring motor, but still a great low cost track toy.

A C5 'Vette could be had for the same kind of money, but you're looking at more costly repairs, consumables and insurance. Order of magnitude more performance, though...

I'm really aiming to try and stay below $10k, but if I find something I can't resist I'm willing to push it to $15k but really not sure about going that far above budget. FRS/BRZ are usually $13k+

Hopefully not too OT.. I'm also wanting to try some auto-x (did it once last year) and some HPDE stuff. But, I can't justify a car JUST for that, since I could do that max 10 times a year, and then 1-2 days a week to work and back. Meanwhile, every day I drive kids to school, and drive the family around on weekends. So, I'm looking for a fun sedan that can stretch to do some auto-x/track duty. If I end up doing it a lot, THEN I can look at a beater DD + fun track car..

Honestly if you think you'll do 10 events a year you should look at separate cars. Even if you're doing 5 a year I'd still recommend a separate car. Can I interest you in a Miata?:lol:

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

If you want to talk sedans for HPDE/AutoX, best to start a new thread. For a cheap/beater car that you can AutoX/track, it's hard to beat a Miata.

Something to think about is if you are going to track a car, you've got to be prepared to walk away from it if something happens on track... it's really pretty safe, but stuff happens. People have even totalled cars at AutoX.

I'm really aiming to try and stay below $10k, but if I find something I can't resist I'm willing to push it to $15k but really not sure about going that far above budget. FRS/BRZ are usually $13k+

For under $10k, you've already got the best choice...

$10-15k - NC2/3, BRZ/FRS. Push the budget a bit more, and you're into ND1 territory.

For under $10k, you could probably pick up an NC1 with a blown engine and do a 2.5 swap, but that would be a project, and IIRC that was the problem with your NA.

The other possible option is to pick up a complete/finished race car. You could probably pick up something interesting (maybe vintage?) in that price range, but you'd lose street capability, which means towing it to the track.

I can't remember, do you still have the Expedition, or did it get totaled?

For under $10k, you've already got the best choice...

$10-15k - NC2/3, BRZ/FRS. Push the budget a bit more, and you're into ND1 territory.

For under $10k, you could probably pick up an NC1 with a blown engine and do a 2.5 swap, but that would be a project, and IIRC that was the problem with your NA.

The other possible option is to pick up a complete/finished race car. You could probably pick up something interesting (maybe vintage?) in that price range, but you'd lose street capability, which means towing it to the track.

I can't remember, do you still have the Expedition, or did it get totaled?

I'm not opposed to giving up track/autox ability for more street use. Part of why I was looking at the Mazda3.

Yeah I was looking at earlier NCs and even think about an NC3. If I could find a white NC3 Club with cloth top local I'd probably be willing to go to that 15k mark. I'd leave it stock and just run it in the stock autox class.

I had an explorer that was totaled, but I replaced it with a 2007 Sequoia so I can still tow.

2003 Baja 5MT

Yeah I was looking at earlier NCs and even think about an NC3. If I could find a white NC3 Club with cloth top local I'd probably be willing to go to that 15k mark. I'd leave it stock and just run it in the stock autox class.

Even the Club suspension stock is pretty limp. You can go pretty quick though, it just has a lot of body roll... requires a smooth hand on transitions. I'd still take one over one of the Twins.

I had an explorer that was totaled, but I replaced it with a 2007 Sequoia so I can still tow.

OK, I knew it was a Ford Ex...something... :p didn't have time to look up the thread.

So, I think I might be a wheel whore... :p

Advanti S1 Bronze in 15x8. Brings me up to 5 wheel sets for two running cars... Plus the set the parts car is sitting on.

40334829503_cc6d89504c_c.jpg

Ever since I installed the Wilwood brakes on the NA, my 15x8s no longer fit. Which meant the car had to be stored on one of the track wheel/tire sets. Not so good when it's in the trailer and it's 18*F outside. I think this contributed to the death of our NT01s...

These should clear the brakes, so I'll swap my 205/50-15 Conti ECS onto them, so I can use them to store the car, and they can also be a rain set for the track. The good stuff can be stored safely inside when it's chilly out. And they'll go on the NB for summer. I'll most likely put the Konig Flatouts those are currently mounted on up for sale...

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice day yesterday at Arizona Motorsports Park!

Lots of Miatas! Probably another 8-10 Miatas in other parts of the pits.

32461110737_af843ef60e_b.jpg

My wife being chased by an NC...

47350312752_e77355161b_c.jpg

A combination of the Toyo RRs, the new tune, and better driving netted me a 4 second improvement in my personal best. Now that's a good day at the track! :D

40437484933_28627cdf2e_c.jpg

I came 2nd in my TT class again. Beat the guy who beat me last time out, but another guy got me by ~2.5 seconds. Went over and looked at his car, and it was basically a spec Miata with a supercharger... not sure how that makes the power/weight spec for our class...

• 3 weeks later...
It was awhile ago I stopped in here but, trying to pay of the Legacy this year and get a Miata sometime spring next year. I'm looking for something around $4k. What should I be looking for? I kinda want to supercharge at some point but not sure of the reliability. Seems the cost isn't too much to do it.

Given your location I'd watch out for rust. Miatas are tin cans and rust easily. Other than that just look for obvious signs of abuse. They are low cars so some underbody scrapes are normal, but ones that lived a stance life will have demolished undercarriages. The biggest mechanical issue are typically related having been over heated. $4k should get you a decent stock one in need of some minor TLC.

2003 Baja 5MT

The best values right now are NB2s (2001-2005). That's where you're going to get the most Miata for your money. Don't worry about a higher mileage car, but be prepared to catch up some maintenance. Avoid rust and cars that were obviously beat on. You should be able to get a nice example for $4500-5500.

So not on a miata but a 2018 golf r, looking for a good auto-x tire and maybe 1-2 track nights a year. Id like to drive to and from events on them, so no A7 Hoosiers lol. RE71s are the best but wear too fast, so right now im torn btwn rs3, v720, or DZ3. I hear really good things about the V720 and its a great budget tire, but I also hear they can de-laminate under high heat.

Theyll be going on 18x8 Advanti Hybris. Right now im running a 235/35 19 PS4 on HRE 8.5s which are just too heavy and sidewalls are too soft.

The car will not be competitive, STX class is too competitive with the ST siblings, and MS3s and what not, especially with the new exhaust and tune rules, but I'd like to shave a second or 2 and at least run close. Im thinking with just the weight savings alone thats good for a solid second. I do have 235/40 PSS in the garage on my old SSR 5x100s that I was thinking about mounting too.

So long story short, anyone run the V720s? How do they stack up against the others? Bsaically at this point the RE71s are out, hard to justify cost vs. wear.