LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

I didn't like the V720s on our NC. Good grip, but overheated easily and very noisy. They also have the delam issues. In a super 200, I'd pick Rivals... good for autoX, but can survive the track. I really liked ZIIs for a street tire, but they'd be a step back on the track.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pulled the NA out of the trailer and did a 'between trackdays' inspection and oil change.

Also dropped by a local cruise night and hung out with a little different crowd...

32705087147_6a2e4e79a7_c.jpg

The best values right now are NB2s (2001-2005). That's where you're going to get the most Miata for your money. Don't worry about a higher mileage car, but be prepared to catch up some maintenance. Avoid rust and cars that were obviously beat on. You should be able to get a nice example for $4500-5500.

Thanks! I know all about rust. Luckily I believe, half the owners of Miata in the area garage theirs during winter so rust is pretty minimal. I've seen a few NB2's in that range.

Where's a good starting point mod wise? I assume suspension first then tires then exhaust?

Power mods on a Miata have a pretty low ROI until you get a standalone, so I would save them until later.

Start with baselining the maintenance (timing belt/water pump, brakes, hoses, fluids, etc.). The newest NB is approaching 15 years old, so there will be some things that need replacing, whether due to age, mileage or deferred maintenance.

My first upgrade (assuming the tires are good) would be the brakes. I did pads/rotors/ss lines/new MC and fluid on my NA for $400. Just get NAPA or centric rotors (plain), a set of SS lines, pads of your choice and good fluid. New MC if you need it. Stock Miata brakes are pretty good with the right pads for anything short of R comps on a road course.

Next would be suspension/wheels/tires. If the car already has 15s, a good 195/50 tire is a great choice. If you're going to buy wheels, I'd go to 15x8s and 205/50s. Lots of tire choice in that size, and lots of decent 15x8 wheels for Miatas. Wheel weight is important... don't buy cheap 15lb wheels. Goodwin Racing is about the best combo of selection and price for Miata wheels.

Suspension is next... don't cheap out. First, get a good alignment on the stock parts and see how you like it. If you decide to upgrade, I'd go with a good shock/spring set (Flyin Miata) before cheap coilovers.

Frame rails are a good idea, and seam welding around the door openings will make a noticeable improvement in rigidity.

Installed a Miata Roadster shifter today.

40733814823_201eb9dbba_c.jpg

It replaces an eBay shifter I had in the car for several years. The MR shifter has an extended shaft, and angles towards the driver to reduce the distance between the wheel and shifter.

Test drive tomorrow.

I still have mine, haven't put a lot of effort into selling it, mostly because I don't know what I want to do next. I do think I at least want something with a back seat. That way I can put a car seat in it.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Getting older has its drawbacks :spin:

Tell me about it... :p

Took the NA for a quick test drive this morning to try out the shifter, which works great. Honestly, the eBay shifter it replaced was 85% as good for 30% of the price, though it was finally starting to show some wear after 6 years. I was also running with the power steering belt off, just to see how it felt. I've been having issues with the power steering fluid boiling on track, and I was planning to de-power when I installed an NB subframe and rack down the road a bit. Looks like I'm going to do it a little sooner...

Edited by rodan

NA steering is de-powered, the quick and dirty way...

33890312738_468a3843b2_c.jpg

I'll do it properly when I swap an NB subframe and rack into the car down the road.

The NA was surrounded by a pile of Camaro wheels/tires overnight in the garage. :D

33890314788_226be53c4e_c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
yeah I'm sort of torn on the sale. Part of me is happy its gone since it sat so much and I stopped enjoying driving it a year or so ago, but I also know NB2 is one of the better choices for what I think I want to still try to do.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• 2 weeks later...

So, not much going on with the Miata lately. Since we cancelled our last trackday because of the Camaro getting damaged, I haven't done much with it lately. Big projects coming though...

Since we're getting ready for a trip, I've been working on our trailer. When I bought it, it didn't have Camaros in mind, so the tie downs were setup for Miatas. I elected not to have E track installed because of the cost at the time. Well, now I need it...

The good news, is it cost me less to equip the trailer with E track than it would have cost to have it installed when the trailer was built.

Yesterday, I installed two rails from the dovetail angle in the floor forward.

47981920097_362e8c34bf_c.jpg

Today, I started off by washing the trailer. I try to do that at least once a year whether it needs it or not... :p

Next was a run to Home Depot Racing for parts and supplies, followed by finishing up the E track install with another two feet at the rear on each side. Separate pieces were required due to the dovetail angle. I wish I'd thought to order it with the first batch, as of course, the HD E track was a different color than the other stuff I ordered.

47988839688_6c42555bf4_c.jpg

Next was the worktops for the bench I built last year. I decided I should finally finish it. I used some 3/4" white melamine board, cut it to shape and then screwed it to the bench frame.

47988832543_72533a2e32_c.jpg

47988882466_ef417da528_c.jpg

I used some 1" aluminum strip on the front, which leaves a lip to keep things from rolling off the bench, and 3/4" on the sides. I also added some delrin furniture slides to act as 'bumpers' for the roll out tool cart.

With the cart in place:

47988882566_e2cb38a330_c.jpg

Looks like I must have done OK with the original measurements when I planned this out over a year ago, 'cause everything fit!

47988833132_21e45c26ed_c.jpg

Now I can tie down the Camaro, and it will be nice to finally have a place to set stuff... :D

A set of over the tire tie downs should be arriving tomorrow, and hopefully the Camaro will be back from the body shop tomorrow as well. Then I can figure out where to position it to get the proper tongue weight. I'm interested to see if I can still get my motorcycle in the front of the trailer with the Camaro... it'll be tight.

• 2 months later...

Long time with no updates...

I had originally intended to cage the car this summer, but that just didn't happen so not much went on with it.

My wife and I are getting ready to return to AROSC's driver school at Willow Springs in a few weeks. The Miata was mostly prepped, but since I didn't get around to building a cage, I didn't get to the fire suppression system, either.

I decided to add a fire extinguisher, something I should have done a long time ago. Today I fabbed up a quick mount that bolts under the seat bracket bolts. As long as I undo my shoulder harness, I can reach it from the driver's seat.

48587819042_8ed4fce8aa_c.jpg

48587678751_4f2c5a9728_c.jpg

The extinguisher is Purple K... I plan to use aqueous foam when I upgrade to a real fire suppression system.

• 1 month later...

Time for another thread bump...

So, our Willow Springs trip ended up cancelled... I injured my leg in early September... docs originally thought IT band, but it looks like there's some nerve problems, becuase they can't find anything structural. Anyway, I could barely walk the week before our track weekend, so I cancelled while we could still get most of our money back.

It's been a frustrating year. Missed an event in January because our truck got hit, had to cancel another because the Camaro got hit, and now this one. :mad:

So, we're signed up for a local track day next weekend. We're just going to take the Camaro to keep things simple. I really need to get that car on the track! I'm moving around better, though I still have pain in my leg. A local one-day event should be doable.

Today, I got the NA unloaded from the trailer. Also unloaded most of the stuff that was going to Willow Springs before we had to cancel.

Pulled the Conti ECS tires off the NB, and swapped on its winter shoes...

48816828662_e673670b79_c.jpg

Put that set on the NA...

48816827192_a5ecce5593_c.jpg

The Rivals that were on the NA are in the garage. I don't expect freezing temps for a few more weeks, but it's getting down into the 40s so I might as well get ahead of the curve.

Over the summer, I extended a shared fence with the neighbor, so we now have a 6' fence all the way around the yard. I then put up a cheapo Harbor Freight 10x20 canopy... The NA is moved in under the shelter for now. It may spend the winter there... not sure yet. If I end up liking the setup, I may end up doing some kind of pavers and a more permanent 'carport'.

48816827972_4166090b0f_c.jpg

We may be doing a PCA event with both cars in November... working on the logistics for that...

• 5 weeks later...

Monthly bump...

We're signed up for a two-day PCA event in November... PCA rules require HNRS if you have 5/6pt. harnesses, so I ordered up a couple. In order to see traffic with the resultant restriction on head movement, I mounted a wideview mirror in the NA.

48925529621_3b204d83a3_c.jpg

Otherwise, I ran through my pre-event inspection, and the car is ready to rock.

I had some spare time on my hands, so I decided to do custom paint jobs on our helmets. My wife and I are both Star Wars fans, so I went to a galaxy far, far away for inspiration... :p

48976413018_e54b277f74_c.jpg

48970538002_f2b9103e8c_c.jpg

48977148812_c492fee659_c.jpg

Bonus points if you can ID the characters that inspired them. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a 6sp trans for the NA, from England, no less...

Shipped to my door for less than anything I could find in the US on eBay or locally on CL.

49061111632_e3ddf9f075_c.jpg

49061111682_b7a6fc93af_c.jpg

Better ratios should help around the track while the car is still n/a, and it's stronger for when I get around to boost.