LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ugh that's probably part of the reason I haven't pulled my engine for the clutch, motor mounts, oil seals and radiator install.

I'm going to have to figure out how to get it out and back into the garage without power.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I'm going to have to figure out how to get it out and back into the garage without power.

The Explorer?

Our driveway has just enough slope to make that a PITA. At least it can roll downhill going in. I use our Bronco to pull it back out if I need to get it all the way to the street. Moving it to the back yard is a little more work... :p

Mostly price and availability.

If the car does become a fun driver, it'll eventually get MS3 and maybe turbo, so I might as well have the VVT. For now it just won't be active. Pretty much everything else except the coils is plug/play. Coils just need some wiring.

Yes. Just leave the solenoid unconnected and the intake cam runs in its default position. The VVT solenoid advances the cam under conditions set by the ECU to increase midrange torque, so you just don't have the gain, and maybe a small loss compared to the non VVT cam. Add an MS3 or VVT Tuner and you're back in business.

I'll use the VICS manifold off the '99 engine. It's been proven to be the best overall manifold for general use. The Flattop (EUDM/JDM) manifold makes a little more top end, but loses out in the midrange, so it's the preferred track manifold. The VCTS (stock '01+) is the least desirable...

When I go MS3, I'll have one more setting to play with... the VICS (variable plenum volume) solenoid. :p

Nice thing, is when the header goes on the '92, I'll have the stock '01+ exhaust manifold (superior to the '99 manifold) to put on the NB.

Gotta love that these things are like Legos! :D

Yeah if I end up with a megasquirt I may consider going square top since the VVT should make up for the lost torque. I'd also like to source a complete JDM 2 piece exhaust manifold which should pass CA visual emissions and get a few more hp.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

So, the Miata Motor Mart had a two-for-one sale... :lol:

37997840731_00531395cd_c.jpgDSC_1340 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Actually, it was a CL ad where the guy had two motors, each for a pretty good price. I knew I wanted one for sure, but threw out an offer for both and he went for it, so I got both.

26221928099_4688b520e3_c.jpgDSC_1341 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

$1100 for both, plus $60 in fuel for the 400 mile roundtrip. I figured at that price, it was worth it to have a spare. :D

Just towed the NC home...

Wife called me at work and told me she went to lunch, and when she started it to drive back to her office it made a "really bad noise", and there was a big puddle underneath. Of course, she drove it back to work anyway... I took off work, hooked up the trailer and drove to her office.

Oil all over the underside of the engine, and even inside the driver's front wheel. Maybe a little coolant as well... not good. :(

I'll unload it and take a look in the morning. It's still under powertrain warranty (barely), so hopefully it's something covered. It's completely stock except for a Goodwin muffler, so WTF?? I'm not ready for a swap project on the NC!! :eek: