LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have to feel great about getting it in the car. That wrinkle black valve cover looks awesome in the engine bay.

I got to see my new clutch today...

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag459/christobal65/Miata%20Stuff/IMG_20161118_121455_zpsi8wgtvkp.jpg

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

dangit...I can't see these pics on the work computer.

I can see post 903, but 905 and 906 are missing...aaaargh!!!!

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

dangit...I can't see these pics on the work computer.

I can see post 903, but 905 and 906 are missing...aaaargh!!!!

Does your work block photobucket?

Not sure, but I see the pics now at home.

It's not like I'm looking at prawn or something terrible that it needs to be blocked.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Free oil change today! Apparently the county waste management is still running their return a used filter for a free new filter up to $15. The oil was 'free' since I had 4+qts of partials of the same oil from other oil changes.

I also bled the brakes to hold me over until I'm ready for new front pads and rotors. Three track days, one autox and some rather hard driving has burned my Stoptech street pads up. I think it's time to step up to higher temperature pad.

Edited by Chris GTO TT

2003 Baja 5MT

Day was a success! Although I think my right front wheel bearing is on its way out. I have to sort through the gopro videos and I also prepaid for some track day photos, so those will be up later.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag459/christobal65/Miata%20Stuff/IMG_20161112_144052_zpsizejcati.jpg

I love this picture. Black with bronze rims is awesome.

Looks like a reasonable ask for the car... GLWS.

Playing with wiring again...

When I bought the MS3, my plan was to use a DiYBOB (breakout box) to adapt the universal MS3 harness to the 1.6 harness. As such, I ordered the MS3 with a 24" harness. I later decided to prune the factory chassis harness, and run a bespoke engine harness from the MS3. Of course, now 24" was too short...

Fortunately, DiYAutotune sells wire bundles that match their harnesses, so it was just a matter of extending the wires.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/VVT%20swap/DSC_0073_zps3k6xtmcy.jpg

Unfortunately, extending almost 80 wires is a little tedious! :lol:

I used a "NASA" style splice, which is then soldered...

Western_Union_splice.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/VVT%20swap/DSC_0075_zpsvoobwu4x.jpg

Several hours of work, but all done... except for shrink wrapping each splice.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/VVT%20swap/DSC_0076_zps2kc4gkwh.jpg

Once it's all shrink wrapped, I can start working on positioning the MS3 and laying out the harness.

At 6'1" and slim, will I fit comfortably in one of these?

I'm 5'10" 185 and I'm fine in mine, with a helmet on I don't fully pass the broomstick test though. It really depends on where you carry your height. I'm not sure I'd really consider a NA/NB Miata comfortable though lol. They are rough, and raw, they make lots of bad noises, but so much fun to drive.

2003 Baja 5MT

At 6'1" and slim, will I fit comfortably in one of these?

There are plenty of people driving and racing these at 6'1", but you may have to make some modifications. As Chris said, it can depend on your build, and where you carry your height.

A lot of folks do what's called a 'foamectomy' where foam is removed from the stock seat, or there are aftermarket seats to get you lower. A removeable steering wheel makes getting in and out much easier for longer legged folk, and a smaller aftermarket wheel will give more knee room.

One of the first things I did on mine was to remove the arm rests, easy on an NA, not so much on an NB, but it makes the car a lot roomier. My wife and I have done week long, 2500+ mile road trips in both our NA and NC. They're certainly not in the "Lexus" category of comfortable, but it can be done.

Also as Chris said, an NA is a raw, simple and noisy experience. Which is one of the reasons I like it so much! :D

Go drive one... that's the best way to figure out if it's for you or not.

Thanks for chiming in fellas.

'Comfort' defined as - will I physically fit in these cars. A noisy and raw road feel is fine with me, I do drive a LGT ;)

I'm pretty equally proportioned, which makes it tricky. Many cars leave me needing leg and head room. I've read about some modifications you ^ mentioned, and I agree I need to find one to sit in and get a real feel. I'm skeptical though.

This little guy isn't far from me and has a couple modifications for room:

http://morgantown.craigslist.org/cto/5882878046.html

Edited by BoozeRS05