LegacyGT.com

cargo dimensions, 3rd & 4th gen

my96brighton

I'm looking to fit a cello in the back of a Subaru. The cello case is 53" tall, 19" wide and 11.5" thick. It would have fit in my old 1996 Legacy just laying on its side, diagonally on the floor of the cargo area. It won't lie flat in a 2012 Outback -- it doesn't have the diagonal length my old 1996 had. But what about a 3rd or 4th gen? What changes were made to the cargo area in those years?

I checked cars101.com before I posted and didn't find enough info. Great site, tho. I also checked his cargo measurements before we went to the dealer to look at the 2012 Outback and was shocked that the cello didn't fit on the floor. I think what they did with the 5th gen is lengthened the passenger space, shortened the cargo space, but made the car wider and higher so the cargo volume is still the same. That got me to wondering about pre-2010 wagons, if maybe they still have the length of my old 1996 Legacy wagon (totaled in 2011). And it's really the diagonal distance of the cargo floor that I need, and that measurement is hard to find.

I do know someone with a 2006 Outback and someone else with a 2003 Legacy wagon, so yeah I'll just try to meet up with them and see if the cello fits. If it doesn't, I might have to get a Prius v. Plenty of floor space there.

Cars101 doesn't have the diagonal length but it does have most floor dimensions. It does look like the trunk depth shrunk about 2.75" on the 5th gens to my surprise. It's a little bit wider at the wheel wells 3/4" on the 5th gen as well. How much room were you short in laying it flat in a new style outback?

I don't know, hard to tell how much more would have worked. We did fit the cello in the 2012 OB sideways with the neck resting on the base of the window, not very secure. It also seemed like there was no room for anything else like folding chairs or a guitar. Never had these problems with my 1996 wagon!

Invest in a really nice hard cello case w/suspension. There is plenty of room in a Subie. I fit a cello, three violins, my wife, dog, and a viola in my old nissan with no problems.

What's the big deal? How many instruments do you need to haul at once? Put a blanket or a towel to support the head of the case on the window.

Maybe you should switch to playing a piccolo so you can get a Smartcar, lol.

Archived