LegacyGT.com

5eat trans

It is a 10 out of 10 in difficulty. If you can do that, you can probably do anything. I'm sure someone else will say it's really not that hard. Well... name something harder. That said, most things are bolt-on. Custom wiring and good trouble-shooting ability will be required. It's one of those things where if you even have to ask, you really shouldn't do it. And you'll still have to have a custom trans brace made.

Ohh shit I wouldn't do it :lol:

to rephrase, I was curious in terms of bolt up vs custom concept. Level of difficulty between putting a 5eat back in vs swapping to mt (Assuming relevant tech experience) ... Just one of those things thats nice to know, given the age of the vehicle etc, if it ever comes to that.

I have helped out in a 5EAT swap for an 05, swap the bulkhead harness and you're golden..... along with all the other typical mechanical things. The bulkhead harness is ~$500 from subaru and is a pita to change, but it's all there. I'm taking on a BIG project for an 08-09 5EAT to mt swap and have been doing months of reseach behind it. Since there's no valve body modifications we are left to getting down and dirty. If anyone wants any more info on SI Drive vehicles going from AT to MT let me know. This is why I mentioned getting a salvage car, it's just easier having all the parts there. And of course finding an 08+ 5mt LGT wreck is tough.

Nice! Man, I envy you guys that have the time/resources to get down and dirty with these cars. I miss working on cars... and so much time has passed :rolleyes:

Your perspective is entertaining. And I hear ya on most points.

Ohh yea and regarding the rpm range I totally agree with ya, and thats what drives me up the freaking wall, I can slap a shift dead on 5500 and STILL run the chance of slapping the rev limiter, its just SOOOOO lazy! ha...

And I'm surprised you dislike the manual so much... My roommate had one, and I QUITE liked the feel and performance of it. To each there own I suppose, and I don't run my car like this outside of intermittently, and do understand the reality of it being a spirited sedan :)

Appreciate the dialogue no less

I've not found the Subi manual tranny to be very nice. I'm used to higher performance and better designed tranny's.

Good friend of mine has the STI (2011 with 24k on it), which should have their best tranny. The throws are far too long and the 'feel' is off. Clunky. Reminds me of a GM manual, not a Toyota/Honda/BMW/Merc manual that I've grown to love. That said I realize Honda builds the best 'trannys'.

My biggest complaint is actually the turbo profile, peak power and declining power. However with Stage 1 you can get close to 5s 0-60 times in the auto. Not shabby for a family sedan.

I've found the manual mode best used to help the car select the right gear on a ramp or engine breaking. But in WOT mode, nothing like leaving it in sport mode. :)

Rob-2 is just butthurt because the LGT doesn't have to rev to 10k to build power like a honda. Honestly... How many posts have you made complaining about the same three things?

If he owned a manual, he might be able to complain. Then again, if he owned a manual, he may realize that the LGT steers through the gas pedal. I agree, driving an auto on a track is kinda dumb.

That said, LALGT and Drift Motion are both doing extremely well tracking their cars. YOU have a family sedan. Other people whom have spent some time tweaking their cars have much more than that. You are what is known as a Debbie Downer- your comments continuously detract from every thread.

Seriously, go buy your Acura.

I'm poking fun at people who buy cars and work so hard to make them do something they were never built to. I'm a realist. 99% of people tweaking these cars have never hit the track, don't know how to 'drive" and are driving in a straight line. Than they post how 'amazing' things are without any real reference. They talk HP, boost etc etc. All for what? To pull on someone on the freeway?

BTW I get my auto to drift just fine and had a post recently about driving it from the rear. My understanding is the auto puts 55% of it's power to the rear while the manual is 50/50. So again, I'm confused by some of your comments.

OP - my point was not to be little or discourage, but maybe just to suggest you have X when you thought Y would be better. I think both have their pros/cons. As driving pleasure goes the auto is pretty nice. To get much more 'fun' out of the manual you're going to need to address things like body roll, braking performance and power curve. :)

'Cause once you're able to bring it right to red you'll find there isn't much there and want to fix it. Next, braking distance, brutal for dual piston and suspension roll as I'm sure you're going to throw the car around more. All these things I've come to grips with. It's my winter beater car and a nice FU to the ex-wife :)

If you haven't gone stage 1 I would high suggest you do so. Helped me overcome a lot of what was bothering me about the motor, brought to life more of the lack of top end and braking distance though.

Honestly the "Sport-Auto" mode is better than the manual-auto mode in my opinion. I only use the full manual auto for driving in snowy or slippery conditions for better engine braking and better control of the car.

I agree. Like I mentioned earlier I tend to "Forget" and in my moment of optimism default to the manual-auto mode from time to time and I'm quickly reminded why I like sport :lol:

True story, the ONLY thing I've come to REALLY enjoy about the manual-auto is like you mentioned engine braking from time to time for whatever reason (Rare) but mostly: 2nd gear starts in the thick of Sh*t! :lol: When the snow is just ridiculous I enjoy the way the power is put down in 2nd gear starts then.

OP - my point was not to be little or discourage, but maybe just to suggest you have X when you thought Y would be better. I think both have their pros/cons. As driving pleasure goes the auto is pretty nice. To get much more 'fun' out of the manual you're going to need to address things like body roll, braking performance and power curve. :)

'Cause once you're able to bring it right to red you'll find there isn't much there and want to fix it. Next, braking distance, brutal for dual piston and suspension roll as I'm sure you're going to throw the car around more. All these things I've come to grips with. It's my winter beater car and a nice FU to the ex-wife :)

If you haven't gone stage 1 I would high suggest you do so. Helped me overcome a lot of what was bothering me about the motor, brought to life more of the lack of top end and braking distance though.

I appreciate the response!

Yea I really enjoy the car... I've had it for 8 years... It's done me well. I wouldn't mind "Waking it up a bit" with some simple mods to POSSIBLY equate to stage 1. All in all, I have a funny feeling I'll be looking at something in the BMW/Audi arena in the next 24 months once we get moved down to AZ. Me and this car have ALREADY spent a LOT of time together, and I think I just want to enjoy whatever times left keeping her healthy.

I'm also a realist like yourself, and where my interests where 8 years ago, are surely evolved at this point so just gonna keep the LGT runnin right as long as I can, and decide whats next down the line :D

I've not found the Subi manual tranny to be very nice. I'm used to higher performance and better designed tranny's.

Good friend of mine has the STI (2011 with 24k on it), which should have their best tranny. The throws are far too long and the 'feel' is off. Clunky. Reminds me of a GM manual, not a Toyota/Honda/BMW/Merc manual that I've grown to love. That said I realize Honda builds the best 'trannys'.

My biggest complaint is actually the turbo profile, peak power and declining power. However with Stage 1 you can get close to 5s 0-60 times in the auto. Not shabby for a family sedan.

I've found the manual mode best used to help the car select the right gear on a ramp or engine breaking. But in WOT mode, nothing like leaving it in sport mode. :)

I'm poking fun at people who buy cars and work so hard to make them do something they were never built to. I'm a realist. 99% of people tweaking these cars have never hit the track, don't know how to 'drive" and are driving in a straight line. Than they post how 'amazing' things are without any real reference. They talk HP, boost etc etc. All for what? To pull on someone on the freeway?

BTW I get my auto to drift just fine and had a post recently about driving it from the rear. My understanding is the auto puts 55% of it's power to the rear while the manual is 50/50. So again, I'm confused by some of your comments.

See, that wasn't so hard, was it? :lol: Go stg2 and you'll really be impressed. This chassis in its stock form leaves a lot to be desired. It does have a lot of potential, however. As you said, if you pick apart the drawbacks piece by piece, you're bound to smile every time you run through the gears, or better yet punch it through some curves.

BTW, the manual is 50:50, but the fact that you can control the attitude of the body roll means it's not hard to flick the car around. I think the auto has more rear bias to compensate for the lack of ability to do that. I've been able to kick the rear out w/o any throttle input- it was one of the best feelings I've had in a car. My fault for always jumping on your case.. I was just getting tired of reading posts about how inferior the LGT is.

See, that wasn't so hard, was it? :lol: Go stg2 and you'll really be impressed. This chassis in its stock form leaves a lot to be desired. It does have a lot of potential, however. As you said, if you pick apart the drawbacks piece by piece, you're bound to smile every time you run through the gears, or better yet punch it through some curves.

BTW, the manual is 50:50, but the fact that you can control the attitude of the body roll means it's not hard to flick the car around. I think the auto has more rear bias to compensate for the lack of ability to do that. I've been able to kick the rear out w/o any throttle input- it was one of the best feelings I've had in a car. My fault for always jumping on your case.. I was just getting tired of reading posts about how inferior the LGT is.

Ha!

I think my willingness to point out it's short comings is mistaken for a general hate of the car - it's not - just a willingness to see them. My other cars have/had short comings too. I'm particularly critical of subi on some of these because they are low cost fixes that would dramatically change the car.

All in all, I have a funny feeling I'll be looking at something in the BMW/Audi arena in the next 24 months once we get moved down to AZ.

Anything in particular you're looking at picking up? I've always wanted a S4:wub:. I grew up with Audi/Porsche (father was a mechanic/service manager/salesman for them) so maybe I am a bit biased in my love for them.

:yeahthat:

Ha!

I think my willingness to point out it's short comings is mistaken for a general hate of the car - it's not - just a willingness to see them. My other cars have/had short comings too. I'm particularly critical of subi on some of these because they are low cost fixes that would dramatically change the car.

While it makes me scratch my head sometimes as to why they didn't do a few things differently in the car, which could be cost effectively accomplished, half the fun of owning the car is in upgrading it the way one wants it to perform.

:yeahthat:

Anything in particular you're looking at picking up? I've always wanted a S4:wub:. I grew up with Audi/Porsche (father was a mechanic/service manager/salesman for them) so maybe I am a bit biased in my love for them.

ha, yea I've always had a bit of a love for the S4 as well.

And you know what, I'm like almost torn... I love the way the car looks now, but I'm also really able to appreciate the I6/twin turbo 335i... I really like that car, and while I don't HATE the interior, the audi's interior is superior to the BMW :(

And I'm a sucker for creature comforts inside... In all honesty, I really enjoy the legacy's interior, I think they did an EXCELLENT job on the LGT's interiors

Meh I don't know yet... Getting married in about 7 months, moving shortly after, don't plan to have kids for a while but that I'm sure will be next, and shit I'd LOVE a freaking corvette or mustang or something just to appeal to that performance side of things I love... But I doubt I'll do it, just not as practical as I probably need to be

It's funny-- I just picked up my '08 LGT two weeks ago, and I've found it to be one of the best cars I've driven. Not in every aspect, but overall it trumps my other vehicles. I've had BMWs-- 88 M6 (euro), 89 M5 (euro), and shit-poor '90 850i (Holy crap that car sucked). A few Saabs. A Toyota, a Ford, and most recently, an Infinti G35 6MT. Aside from the Ford, they have all been manuals. This was the first car I actually bought that had an AT, albeit a little more interactive. What's my point? This is not a sports car. It is a sporty sedan. Fun to drive, safe, and can go a lot of places that other vehicles cannot. I managed to get stuck in all my M-series cars, and specifically, in my Infiniti due to rear-wheel drive, and big HP. Even with a manual, snow and ice do not look kindly on those who choose fun over FUNction. If I lived in a place with no weather, well, that's another story. But I live in real weather most of the time, and this Subie is fast becoming a good friend. Fast (context is everything), fun, and safe. If I want to go to the track, I'll buy a track day car. But I wouldn't want to drive that thing as a DD, and my Subie bridges the gap between my need for a good driving experience, and knowing I am in a vehicle that will go from A to B...For a long time to come...In quirky style and comfort. Don't get me wrong- I miss the pedal. My dead pedal is taking a beating as a result of phantom clutch syndrome, but I will survive. One of the reasons I have always had manuals is that I feel it connects you to the driving experience in ways that an AT does not. I ride a motorcycle, so I connect my machine with my experience, and by extension, my survival. ATs can make it seem like you're driving your couch around. But if you engage in the silly little Man/Auto shifter, or the flappy paddles, you will at least be more engaged in the process. And you might learn something about how to drive cars that aren't optimal for the task you've asked of them. Drive. Have fun.

/\ /\ /\

Don't get me wrong here... No where will you ever see me say I don't "LIKE" my subaru... I FREAKING LOVE my LGT! :lol:

And plan to have her for many years to come... But I HAVE already had her for 8 years since new, miles are creeping, age etc and I AM moving to AZ in about a year, so my desires in a car will have the option of changing a bit, swaying a bit farther towards performance then practical function (ie: the BEAUTIFUL AWD system in our cars which I absolutely love and SWEAR BY! ha) So it's all just talk and theory at the moment, but me and the legacy aren't parting ways anytime soon, and I love my car! :wub:

I dont usually upshift, only downshift, which I love. In manual... Wot and let it shift itself. Bought my 5eat before I could drive manual, but now I can, and do kick myself every now and then for not waiting to buy a MT. Still love my 5eat and the potential it has. Its a part of me now. Also be nice when I start towing a boat.

Yea the future BOAT will be getting towed by something else we (Me and the fiance') are planning :cool:

Hmmmm ya know what for shits... I'll add another little "VARIABLE" to this generations tranny.

So something else that ABSOLUTELY ANNOYS THE HELL out of me from time to time :lol: is this ridiculous function of the trans that will hold a gear FOREVER if you happen to snap the throttle even a 1/8 of an inch but to fast, the car thinks you wanna race and gives you the entire band of the freaking gear to practically 5k to shift! :spin:

Done it since day one, I literally yell at her sometimes, like CALM THE F' DOWN I don't need all that! :lol:

While it makes me scratch my head sometimes as to why they didn't do a few things differently in the car, which could be cost effectively accomplished, half the fun of owning the car is in upgrading it the way one wants it to perform.

Low cost from a manufacturing side. Cost to go from an open diff to LSD is low up front. As would be better specing the rising power to redline. 6SP auto/manual. Reduced body roll. Reasonable stopping distance. These things cost thousands to do after market but very little on the manufacturing side. I guess I just dont enjoy dropping the money into a car like that anymore. Rather putit towards tires and chew them up on the track car.

OP - While I love german cars look into leasing and dumping after the lease. Sad reality is they dont stand up well over time. They'll need some TLC. If you do all on your own work less of an issue.

• 8 months later...

Archived