LegacyGT.com

Rough idle, engine sputter/misfire.

i just picked up a 05 legacy 2.5i sedan, on start up it idles fine and when warmed up it runs at about 4-500rpms and if i rev the engine to 3k and keep it there, theres a loud rattling comimg from the engine, and when i accelorate a little hard theres no noise till i let off the throttle to shift,and when feathering the throttle at 3k the rattle is there, also at idle it sounds like it has a loss of compression, my co worker listened to it and said it could be a stuck rocker, but im assuming its a bent valve, the timing belt was replaced before i had it, maybe it skipped timing? who ever reads this please get back to me, i have a video on my instagram if anyone has one, user name is oh5legacy my profile pic is my car (aspen white) thank you

Thanks for posting the video. It's still hard for me to tell what it is, hopefully someone else might know though

Video:

http://web.stagram.com/p/511761300259872454_49994614

• 1 year later...
I went through this and wish I would have went straight to a compression test so I didn't waste time chasing things. Id recommend a compression test to make sure the engine is healthy then chase it with plugs, coils, injectors, etc. There is a great thread on nasioc that lists the possible issues.

Check your coil and plug wires. They tend to go on these cars around your mileage or before. The NA has a single coil where the plug wires connect to, and they crack with heat. In a fairly dark garage or driveway, start the engine and let it idle. Take a spray bottle of water that can product a fine mist and spray a mist around the coil area and plug wires and look for sparks arcing.

Disconnect the main harness connections and clean the contacts, my problem lied there with bad connections due to bad runner gasket on the connection itself. Check all other plugs for backing out wires from their connections also

• 1 year later...

Ok first I checked the spark plugs and wires and replace them. Also there was oil in the spark plug when I took them out so I went and replace the headgass kit and valve cover gass kit..apparently its still doing the same thing like running idling rough.so I went ahead and replace the coil pack and it's still doing the same thing...so now am stuck don't know what else is causing the rough idling...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Ok first I checked the spark plugs and wires and replace them. Also there was oil in the spark plug when I took them out so I went and replace the headgass kit and valve cover gass kit..apparently its still doing the same thing like running idling rough.so I went ahead and replace the coil pack and it's still doing the same thing...so now am stuck don't know what else is causing the rough idling...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Is the car on the stock tune ? it is known to cause burnt valves. Do a compression test.

Did you replace the head gaskets or just the valve cover gaskets ?

Have you replace the O-rings between the intake manifold and TGV's. that is a normal cause.

OH, any CEL's ?

It appears you have a GT and not a 2.5i, as you mentioned wires ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived