LegacyGT.com

2.5 dohc timing belt marks?

I'm about to start a timing belt replacement. I see every one and there mother has commented on the crank shaft marks. On how not to use the arrow but use the notch on the back half of the crank. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what marks am I lining up. I know the cam marks to I to the top and match the II marks to the cam above it. Need a little help. 96 DOHC 2.5 Legacy

• 3 years later...
Please excuse if this has been covered, I certainly have read numerous posts. I've had the crank woodruff shear in my 96 ej25 dohc. the crank has spun inside the cog leaving the rest of the cam pulleys in time. I have reassembled it with a new key and do not have compression on the left side. is it possible that I have the crank 360 off? Or is definite valve collision? This motor I believe to be interference valve only. At no time did I have any collision noise or difficult hand turning before or after reassembly. Thoughts?

Please excuse if this has been covered, I certainly have read numerous posts. I've had the crank woodruff shear in my 96 ej25 dohc. the crank has spun inside the cog leaving the rest of the cam pulleys in time. I have reassembled it with a new key and do not have compression on the left side. is it possible that I have the crank 360 off? Or is definite valve collision? This motor I believe to be interference valve only. At no time did I have any collision noise or difficult hand turning before or after reassembly. Thoughts?

The crank spins twice for every 1 rotation of the cams. I always spin the motor over by hand after doing timing belts to make sure everything lines up after 2 rotations. If your valves were contacting, they'd most likely stop the motor from being able to turn over since the valves and pistons are trying to occupy the same space. I'd say pull the timing cover back off and see where the marks are.

I don't know what the firing order is of the 2.5, you'd have to look that up and find the number 1 piston, it should be top dead center when all the marks line up. I doubt the valves are contacting the piston since most likely it would stop you from being to turn the motor over. When you turn it over the marks should be almost exactly on the timing marks, not perfectly on them but if they are off at all, that means it skipped a tooth.

I thought the timing marks have all four pistons about half way in the bore so that valves wouldn't hit when that one cam jumps over from spring pressure while you have the belt off. That is the marks on the timing pulleys, not the mark in the rim of the accessory pulley that you use with a timing light.

• 1 year later...
don't do what i did and try to clamp down the driver side cam sprockets. apparently plastic likes to snap. -.-

the plastic is rather hard and brittle but you can get away with doing what I did...go to harbor freight and pick up two or three or more of the spring loaded welding clamps made from plastic...they are strong enough to hold the belt in place while you get everything lined up like it should be, and wont break your pulleys...cheap and dirty and it works. They also like to pop off with little warning if you accidently bump them but, if you are careful u can make them work.

Archived