LegacyGT.com

Having trouble deciding on UHPAS Tire...

MaStaMooN

Potenza RE970AS or Pilot Sport A/S Plus  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Potenza RE970AS or Pilot Sport A/S Plus

• Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS
    • Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Why's your screenshot show only $142 but you say it costs so much more out the door? Road hazard and mount and balance or something?

Sorry, no input for you. I'd look at Tirerack's customer survey and see which ranks better.

Why's your screenshot show only $142 but you say it costs so much more out the door? Road hazard and mount and balance or something?

Sorry, no input for you. I'd look at Tirerack's customer survey and see which ranks better.

Yeah that's a screenshot of tirerack, not the prices from costco. Costco prices are higher, but include road hazard, disposal, valve etc..

So far everybody I have talked to says go with the Michelins even if they are "rated lower". Especially for the price.

Haven't tested either of the tires you're considering, but to make your decision even harder, check out the pirelli pzero nero a/s. I have used two sets now and they're great all around tires, even did a track day on them!

You can't go wrong with either choice. Try one set now, and the other for your next set, they're both great tires.

I think you should also check out the Nitto Motivo's. I have them and absolutely love them.

http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/motivo

Haven't tested either of the tires you're considering, but to make your decision even harder, check out the pirelli pzero nero a/s. I have used two sets now and they're great all around tires, even did a track day on them!

Unfortunately Costco doesn't carry either brand. Or fortunately cuz I dont have to add them to the list of choices! :p

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+4X&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=245WR7E4XXL&tab=Sizes

$428 + $60 to ship and + $60 to mount and balance at any local tire shop. $550 out the door. Great tire and $200 in your pocket.

Not sure if you work for Costco or have a hookup there but this is a better deal (probably save $100 on either of the options above going the same route). I have a 4X UHPAS's on my '06 Spec B and I've been very happy with them. I usually ran max performance summer tires but I'd only get a year/15k miles out a set. Hoping I get two year out of these and I haven't switched over to a winter set yet this year. There not as good as dedicated snow tires but they're not absolutely worthless (like the max performance stuff) when the ground is white.

I don't autox or track my car (I have my nissan for that) and the tires offer more than enough grip for an offramp or background sprint.

No affiliation with Costco other than have used them almost exclusively for tires over the past decade. What happens to that price when you add road hazard, free rotation and all the other stuff that Costco includes in their price?

I think in the end, I might spend only a few dollars more than going with the Kumhos. I dont doubt their ability and if Costco stocked such a tire, I would probably go with something like that myself.

Thanks for the input though. I think I'm going with the Pilot Sports.

You actually get your tires rotated at costco? Around here that involves waiting around for 4 hours or taking time off of work to go when they're not stupid busy--no thanks.

Haha.. well no, I guess I haven't. :lol:

But as busy as my costco is in general, I could probably get them to do it before Im done shopping and get through the mobbed lines to checkout. Feels like an eternity when I step into that place.

Well I got the Pilot Sports installed. Nice to see some tread on my car for a change! LOL

Wont put a full review on here as I have only put 100 miles or so on them so far. First impressions are mixed. At the cars recommended pressure, they are a bit wobbly around hard turns.. but they are grippy.

I am going to bump the pressure up a notch or 2 and see what they feel like then. I ran like 38/36 in my previous tires and liked the ride so we will see.

Another thing is they are pretty loud at speed.. 60mph + you hear them which is a bit annoying if you don't have the radio up. Is there any need to get an alignment due to only mileage of a car.. car tracks straight.. doesn't pull, but thought maybe after 90k an alignment might be in order JIC.

Archived