LegacyGT.com

Door switch issue

I'm a new owner of a 09 Legacy ltd and have a small issue with the driver door switch which thinks it's always close.

All other doors are working, interior lights on and dash tells me the doors are open exept the driver door.

I'm trying to check on the switch itself but I can't figure out how to remove it. I found a service manual over the web for the 09 Legacy:

37.Door Switch

A: REMOVAL

1) Disconnect the ground cable from the battery.

2) Remove the screw, and pull out the door switch.

3) Disconnect the harness connector.

B: INSTALLATION

Install in the reverse order of removal.

Thing is, there's no screw... can someone help me out?

I figured there's latches on each side of the switch, but still can't get it out unless I need to put more love on it but I don't want to break it.

It's annoying to get inside the car at night without lights going on automatically lol

Interesting, mine doesn't have a screw either. I gently tried to pry mine out with no luck, and I didn't want to break it as you said. I'm gonna look into this more, I'm curious to see how you get this thing out.

**Heres some more info as well

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/51113-how-do-i-replace-plunger-switch-dor-jamb.html#post495748

covered.jpg.22581731b2aa96e32406b2e69966c3ca.jpg

uncovered.thumb.jpg.dbbeaac68e331cddc63f5c5a5829873b.jpg

So I managed to get mine out, and what you will need are two small flathead screwdrivers.

-Insert one small flathead screwdriver into the small rectangular opening in the front of the switch, above the white plunger. I inserted the screwdriver at an upward angle, to ensure the tip of the screwdriver was above those two notches at the top of the switch, then I lowered the screwdriver and depressed the two notches. If your screwdriver isn't wide enough, you might have to do one notch at a time.

-Then with the second screwdriver (or other prying tool), gently pry the top of the switch away from the door frame until you can see those two notches, and the switch doesn't pop back into the door frame. It took me a few minutes to do this since I had never done it before, but it eventually comes out if you're having trouble.

-It's kinda hard to see in the picture, but the bottom of the switch hooks into the door frame metal, so you can't pull the switch straight out, you have to lift the switch upward and out.

As others have mentioned in the link I posted above, you have virtually no cable slack to work with, what you see in the picture is as much slack as you get. Therefore, I think you do have to remove the interior trim piece behind the switch to disconnect the harness, as mentioned in the link above.

switchout1.jpg.5cbc9e21a662eae80b61a72369a2fa0a.jpg

switchout2.thumb.jpg.bef1d8e636cb7e5b29e49a31cc2f261a.jpg

Wow apexi!! you're the best!

Too bad we can't inspect the switch assembly that way, I'll check the whole circuit up to the body integrated unit under the steering wheel but since there are some trims and plastic covers to be removed and it's Siberian cold outside, I'll wait until I find a garage or get hotter to inspect...

Thanks a lot apexi , this is much appreciated!

• 2 years later...

Archived