LegacyGT.com

Serious loss of power

What might happen when the turbo goes is that some metal shavings ends up in the oil causing secondary damage to the engine.

And that too is correct which is why I took the intake off to check the TGV's and insure nothing insight had been damaged. The intake impeller blades were rounded over at the tips but no real "loss" of material to speak of. On the exhaust side, that is different, obviously I can't tell if anything is resting on the catalytic converter so I am assuming based on the damage I see to the exhaust blades and the fact that the shaft is broke and the blade assembly is loose and bouncing around, that there has to be some metal down there but at a minimum. So in the near future is a new catted down pipe and up pipe since all this crap is rusty and off anyway. That is based on the recommendations of many people in this forum. So my philosophy is, if its broke, then upgrade, but in this case, small bites as budget allows and time.

Keeping in mind, the transmission is borked, no first gear. Was just preparing to replace it. And then this, so double whammy. Add to that, my grandmother just passed away and an unexpected trip to Cincinnati, four hours each way, on Monday while trying to pack and move my entire family to Houston Texas as I am being promoted and transferred for my company. Dude, they say that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, I am in beast mode right now and trying to move it all forward at the same time. Anyway, just a glimpse of my life at this moment, so if I was unclear before, my apologies to all. Thank you all for the always helpful advice when I have a bonehead thing going on. I think my new name will be Brandon, the LGT Slayer

turbo installed and working, bought used one from Cincy05LGT and put it on today, so far so good until I can get the 16G. Now onto the transmission, then moving the family to Texas, then, and then and then...............

Thank you all for your help again, as always!

Glad to hear you got the car running again.

When the intake was off did you replace the o-rings with the new orange ones ? They are much bigger and fix a common problem with these cars.

When the tranny is out being fixed, you should replace the clutch and FW and do the TSK3 TOB kit.

Also grease the starter shaft.

You also need a catless up pipe. May want to replace the oil return line from the turbo tot he block too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Glad to hear you got the car running again.

When the intake was off did you replace the o-rings with the new orange ones ? They are much bigger and fix a common problem with these cars.

When the tranny is out being fixed, you should replace the clutch and FW and do the TSK3 TOB kit.

Also grease the starter shaft.

You also need a catless up pipe. May want to replace the oil return line from the turbo tot he block too.

I did not replace the orings wen the intake was off, at this point, it has to come off again, all I did was replace the turbo, no head gaskets or timing belt, I needed my car back asap. I have been driving my wifes Yukon XL Denali for work (about 500 miles a week) and funds are tight already so this hit me at a real bad time, so her truck is not as economical to drive and with everything else going on, well, I needed my car back. However, the turbo I installed lasted maybe 75 miles with no heavy throttle, just basically driving to work today, it started making a noise like the starter was engaged, but lost power, then would go back and cycle this for a while, then it just stopped and back to a serious loss of power. Turbo #2=borked! It was suggested to me that I must have a serious oil starvation problem for the shaft bearing and i did not clean or check bajo fitting filters or tcvas? I think he said without looking, but either way, I am at home again, hood up on the Sube and getting ready to tear it apart once more! This is not the fault of the seller, it is mine for not researching more thoroughly about these known common problems. I just don't have time to surf the forum for these things much less even know what I am looking for to know that I should be looking for it! So the car had to take a back seat for a minute and I have to tinker with it when I have time.

As far as the TSK3 TOB kit, I saw that on Fred Bean, but what exactly does it do? I will check the clutch and flywheel when it is out, but didn't plan on changing it as it offers zero problems for me.

Archived