LegacyGT.com

Looking for apr?? Case and head bolts

Sarcasm?? Even so thanx. I'm aiming for a daily driver. My street racing days are over. I have a kid now and just got my license back in nov after 5 years of suspension

That is what GLWT stands for lol

I am all for people doing custom things. Would I do it on a EJ22E, probably not but I am also the most anal person ever and a bit power hungry lol

Sarcasm?? Even so thanx. I'm aiming for a daily driver. My street racing days are over. I have a kid now and just got my license back in nov after 5 years of suspension

No sarcasm intended at all. Just a sincere good luck.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The 205 heads are 45cc & will drop the compression in the high to mid 8s if you use a thick Phase 2 MLS gasket, so you'll be running well on the safe side of things if you use an early 90's 22E block (I'm running a DOHC EJ22E w/98 25D heads/95 22E block & the CC of the 205 heads & 25D heads are VERY similar. *25D heads are 46cc*).

The only thing you would need to do is to have it tuned a little in order to take full advantage of the extra 20% displacement & keep it from running lean at higher rpms.

The 22E may have an open deck but so does the 205 & Subaru stuck with it for a bit.

It even shares the same crank as the 22T & equally strong rods but if you're going to crack the block, you may as well throw some aftermarket forged units or even STi rods w/ARP bolts (for heads & rods) for that extra strength.

There are guys running old open deck EJ22s in their WRXs & they hold up well once they're tuned & ready to go.

That extra 20% displacement is a step up from any EJ20.

The 205 heads are 45cc & will drop the compression in the high to mid 8s if you use a thick Phase 1 MLS gasket, so you'll be running well on the safe side of things if you use an early 90's 22E block (I'm running a DOHC EJ22E w/98 25D heads/95 22E block & the CC of the 205 heads & 25D heads are VERY similar. *25D heads are 46cc*).

The only thing you would need to do is to have it tuned a little in order to take full advantage of the extra 20% displacement & keep it from running lean at higher rpms.

The 22E may have an open deck but so does the 205 & Subaru stuck with it for a bit.

It even shares the same crank as the 22T & equally strong rods but if you're going to crack the block, you may as well throw some aftermarket forged units or even STi rods w/ARP bolts (for heads & rods) for that extra strength.

There are guys running old open deck EJ22s in their WRXs & they hold up well once they're tuned & ready to go.

That extra 20% displacement is a step up from any EJ20.

205 heads are 51cc's

The 205 block is semi-closed just like the 257 block. The additional support on the 205 vs the 22e is nothing to go crazy about though.

With stock EJ22E headgasket and the 205 head you will have a compression around 7.60:1. Very low and might cause you to have no low end power, but you can run boost without worrying about things blowing up.

What is the program that you used to do that? That looks very useful!

205 heads are 51cc's

The 205 block is semi-closed just like the 257 block. The additional support on the 205 vs the 22e is nothing to go crazy about though.

I know the heads are high in CC but I've helped a fellow tech open a 2002 205 out of a WRX before & it was without a doubt an open decked block. No cylinder supports like the 257 has.

205 heads are 51cc's

the 205 is not semi-closed.

They never have been, I have 205 case halves sitting on my bench at home now.

The 22E isn't going to be an issue because of an open deck. That I can promise you. The 22t closed deck is great but you'll still need to swap all the internals in it before you can even begin to get to a power level where being closed deck matters.

I think 20-35 pounds through it for a bit is likely all it was...for a bit. Open decks don't do well with high boost levels. 35psi is a lot for even a closed-deck Subaru. I don't think it's realistic for an open-deck to take anything >10psi on a regular, daily-driver basis.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I think 20-35 pounds through it for a bit is likely all it was...for a bit. Open decks don't do well with high boost levels. 35psi is a lot for even a closed-deck Subaru. I don't think it's realistic for an open-deck to take anything >10psi on a regular, daily-driver basis.

To put things in perspective, the ej205 came from the factory running more than 10psi and its open deck.

The closed vs. open vs. semi debate is really barely an issue anymore. I've run them all and never seen any shortcomings because of cylidner wall reinforcement.

And the reason for that is the cylinders themself will start shifting around a bit and break the seal of the gaskets. Hence block gaurds or my devcon block gaurd. Wish subaru would just start putting thinker sleeves in there blocks. There only about an eight inch think.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

And the reason for that is the cylinders themself will start shifting around a bit and break the seal of the gaskets. Hence block gaurds or my devcon block gaurd. Wish subaru would just start putting thinker sleeves in there blocks. There only about an eight inch think.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

The sleeves in Subarus are great for the stock motor. Very rarely do you see sleeve crack on a stock motor. Slide some darton sleeves in, pin it and o-ring it and you will have no issues besides an empty wallet lol

If anything, if we want to speak on strength based on just cylinder thickness, the USDM 18E should be the best thing that we should have for boost but there are other factors that make the open decks tough, like casting among others, which made the Phase 2 blocks that much better than Phase 1. There are JDM turbo EJs that put out 280bhp which are open deck & have been run like that for years, well taken care of. If you want to destroy something, all you have to do is reach beyond the limits.

Archived