LegacyGT.com

how much pain can my rims take?

mmanus88

i live in northern nj so i have the prvelidge of driving on some of the most pristine roads in the country (thats a joke). anyways. just yesterday i ran over a large pothole going fairly fast, i felt it hard, but luckily nothing happened to my rims; visual inspection suggested they were fine. i have 18 inch sport mesh piaa rims, can these things take a fair beating without getting beat up? big potholes just always get me wondering :)

Hi Micheal!

THe PIAAs are pretty strong, but are not invincible.

Only way to see if you slightly bent them would be to put them on a tire balancing machine.... you could also feel slight vibrations at high speed.

Regards,

Eric Wong

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

hi eric, how have you been?

unfortunately my car does vibrate (the steering wheel) at high speeds, but nothing at 40 or 50 mph, after that the steering wheel does start to shimmy. i'd assume that many people with fairly large rims have this problem, especially if you live in NJ or any other state with nortoriously bad roads. is this bad for my car if not "fixed?" i do plan, in the near future, to get my rims repaired by a rim shop, have some unsightly curb rash on the little guys anyways :)

cheers

edit: on another note, if you remember i had to buy another (front driver side) because it got really messed up ona pothole. how am i supposed to know if that rim is not messed upa nd all the others are? do rim repair shops have the ability to see which wheel is slightly demented and which isn't? or do i hvae ot go to another type of shop for that sort of testing?

If it's not bent, you could have knocked a balancing weight loose? This would only show up at higher speeds as well.

I had my new Pzero's installed,and when I went out on the highway, I felt a very slight vibration, and only at 70-80 mph and above. Turns out it was the wheel balancing! I wound up taking it to another shop, because I needed smaller weights to clear my STI Brembo's, and they were able to make it go away.

Michael,

when the shop puts the wheel on the balancing machine, they will be able to tell exactly where a bend is, even if its slight.

I'd also check the stick on weights to make sure they are all still on the car. Finally... it's been quite some time now since you've purchased the wheels... balancing could be off from normal wear of the tires.

Unless the wheel is REALLY bent, it shouldnt effect your other components much. But a large vibration could be bad for a number of things including the suspension components, bushings, and/or wheel bearings. But that is just in the most extreme cases.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

the dealer told me, after rotating/balancing the tires, that they are bent a little in a few places. nothing too major, but my curb rash and these little bends justify a trip toa rim repair shop. i will ask my body shop guy for a reference, whats a reasonable reparation rate ($$) per rim that u guys know of?

Archived