LegacyGT.com

my first track day with my 05 lgt limited wagon

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you talking about SA?

We compared my car to a stock 5.0 a Boss302 and my friends 700whp sponsored Mustang (that will destroy me if put head to head with the Stig at the wheel of both cars).

We compared FP's track car to other Mustangs in various state of track prep.

We never compared a track prepped LGT to a Mustang. Lets face it, my car is street/enthusiast class not modified/unlimited with cars that are stripped, caged, have partial interiors or aero packages and I am specifically bolt on only (stock longblock, stock trans)

We compared FP's track car to other Mustangs in various state of track prep.

We never compared a track prepped LGT to a Mustang. Lets face it, my car is street/enthusiast class not modified/unlimited with cars that are stripped, caged, have partial interiors or aero packages and I am specifically bolt on only (stock longblock, stock trans)

Granted there's different levels of track prep, but a sub 3000lb LGT has gone on a serious diet. The Icy/Phoenix Spec Bs weighed 3100lbs with gutted interiors.

Again, I said "most" LGTs vs a stock 2012 Brembo Package 5.0, which still has the factory warranty mind you. If you want to go mod for mod, there's basically NO comparison.

I didn't mean to provoke an argument. BTW. My LGT is my daily driver and is not either caged or gutted. I just figured out tricky ways to reduce weight, and have a nice balance of engine and suspension mods. All wheel drive is the real advantage it has over cars like the Mustang.

You asked me if I have been on the track with a Mustang and accuse my argument of being "GTFO" when I clearly stated in the same post "2 less doors, twice as much displacement and newer tech"? :iam:

If a car doesn't have a cage or aero and is running street tires (particularly 140tw class) its pretty much a street car even if it had 1000hp IMHO. If you really want Im sure I could get together with local mustang track drivers and we could start a whole thread comparing our telemetry but I would wager that I would handle something like that on TrackHQ.com where it would be extrapolated not LGT.com where it would be debated.

If you want to discuss how a new Mustang with a similar a investment in parts as my 4cyl, 4door sedan from nearly a decade ago could in theory smoke me on the track in the my first track day thread we have partially derailed, yes, GTFO.;)

I didn't mean to provoke an argument. BTW. My LGT is my daily driver and is not either caged or gutted. I just figured out tricky ways to reduce weight, and have a nice balance of engine and suspension mods. All wheel drive is the real advantage it has over cars like the Mustang.

No provokation. I'm not mad and I doubt SA is either he just needs his coffee.

In your case FP I would suggest that removal of bumper beams, stitch welding or anything else that dramatically changes both how the car responds in an accident and your survivability in one on the street (particularly a offset front collision) mean your car is more track prepped than a street car, IMHO, cage or no. Street legal yes. Insurance approved? No. Fast on the track? Without a doubt.

Ultimately the point SA was trying to make was that without actual facts and figures, particularly with two owners who can't get the limit out of their cars its a drivers race between me and a Mustang not a race between cars.

• 2 months later...
You get that heel-toe down yet? Mustang guy was a trip, for safety sake I would have slowed down and given him plenty of space. It's just frustrating for you and if he is having a hard time with the line then it's just stressing him out too. That said, he should have let you pass.

In a situation where you want to get away from someone who is holdiing you up, it often makes sense to drive through the pits rather than slowing down on the track or attempting an unsafe pass.

To clarify, the idea is not to drive though the 5mph cold pits. The idea is to slow down, enter the hot pits. Stop at the start finish to one side. Put your hands together in front of you like you are praying and then spread them out all the way to your sides like you are motioning for more space several times.

The trackworker will likely immediately give you the nod, look to the track and instead of just finding a clean spot to put you back in the pack, he will have you go out in the middle of the next large gap.

It helps a LOT with frustration level when following someone really off line.

To clarify, the idea is not to drive though the 5mph cold pits. The idea is to slow down, enter the hot pits. Stop at the start finish to one side. Put your hands together in front of you like you are praying and then spread them out all the way to your sides like you are motioning for more space several times.

The trackworker will likely immediately give you the nod, look to the track and instead of just finding a clean spot to put you back in the pack, he will have you go out in the middle of the next large gap.

It helps a LOT with frustration level when following someone really off line.

Really ?:) I usually advise my students to fly through the pits at undiminished velocity and then give the finger to the black flag station:eek:

Archived