LegacyGT.com

my first track day with my 05 lgt limited wagon

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

because I play GT5 a lot, my friends had a high expectation of me when I went last time, even though it's my first time...

I beat my other friend who canyon's a lot, I dont canyon, both of us first time to the track, by 10 seconds in HIS Genesis...LOL

my friend who organizes this stuff for us knows some of the event organizers, so I just give him the cash and go. No coupon/online registration...haha

Doesn't everybody know all the turns on the Nurburgring due to racing games? I've never been to Germany, but I can run that track in my sleep. ;)

lol

+1

did a race with some friends last night on the ring starting at 22:00...pitch black, that really showed who knows their way around...lol

why would you run such a high psi?

you'll lose some grip...

Yea, I agree. Like I said before. I started with 22psi cold. Car felt wobbly. Then when I drove it and the tires warmed up to 45psi. It was just not as grippy. But of course I didn't know until my friend checked my tire pressure. My side wall still rolled alittle when I had high ptessure. But when pressure was corrected man, grip was so stable! The target I was set at is 34 psi hot.

But again, maybe the guy who wants 45 psi doesn't care about grip. Just his side walls?

I can totally imagine, high pressure ballooning the tires. I am sure your stopping grip and turning would suffer.

Oh, another thing I learned. For track driving I was told 80+% of the tire heat is generated by the brake rotors. And wow my rims were so hot it was almost untouchable.

I'll try to match that time on Jan 19th!

I'm intermediate group so I will be able to watch you run and take pics for you.

you have better gripping tires. wider tires. more power. you should do much better then i did. i expect you in the 1.35 range. r compound and you can reach 1.32. breaking 1.30 i hear takes aero, front splitter and rear wing.

I would break 1:30 no problem with just rcomps. No wing. No aero. No splitter. In fact, on rcomps my car would likely be mid high 1:20s.

notice i say nothign about power! hahaha... my friend has s2000, stock with aero. can hit 1.25 there on the same day. it is a very short and technical track. i hear it is all about momentum and keeping it. at least that is what my instructor said. and my best advice from the instructor.

All tracks are all about mementum and keeping it. I ran fastest in the beginner group along with consistent 1:35 driving conservative. The trick is to carry a LOT more speed though turn 1 (4th gear) brake deep for turn 2, make 3-4 like one turn a little wide for 3 and tight for 4 setting you up for the esses. Go high for the bowl and dive DEEP in WOT in third and slide out to the outside. Clip the first chicane cone in 4thgear, light maintenance tap over the bump turn in and then brake hard for the back of the track. I go wider than OP on the skidpad but I have a lot of power and want to get a nice line up on full boost.

It also helps to have enough power to take the track in mostly 3rd gear. Yes I said power.

Yea, I was told to touch the white line on the skid pad. All the things you said sounds right. But knowing and doing it is totally different. Turn 1 is just so scary for a beginner. It is like blind until you get to it. So yea. Still getting used to the track. I definatley tried to do all those things you mentioned.

Yea, I was told to touch the white line on the skid pad. All the things you said sounds right. But knowing and doing it is totally different. Turn 1 is just so scary for a beginner. It is like blind until you get to it....

Firstly, you were doing great! You obviously had a really great time (as did I). You tried some minor variations all within your comfort zone and most importantly, YOU DROVE HOME IN THE CAR. Let me preface anything I say with the fact that before my first session Sunday, a 335i ended up wrecked and against the fence.

Its easy to get the beginning right OR the middle OR the end but to put it all together in one lap is MUCH more challenging. Putting it together with consistency would mean you are not a beginner or intermediate but advanced.

Your tires are not gripping as much as mine (245/35 KDW2) and your car is under steering a little more than my suspension setup, which feels pretty neutral and is likely not giving you the confidence you need to push though turn 1.

GOOD. You are safer erring on the side of caution and ramping up the speed 2-3mph every pass, within your comfort zone. At least run 3rd to the top, shift into fourth and get lighter on the throttle, turn in and carry it straight ove the hump to the outside.

I can't stay on it though 1 either BTW. I am approaching it well over 100 and can't get my mind to like going through it faster than ~90. My entire next day at the track will likely be focused on getting though 1 in 4th @100+ and entering the chicane/clipping that first cone at over 100 in 4th. Its just a scary committment level and I totally acknowledge that.

Next time let me know you are going to go and I will meet you there with my car and all my tools, gear, etc and we can make a day of it.

thanks for the kind words! BTW happy new year everyone!

man, my next tires i want to try kdw2. i had them on my last car and i loved the rain traction and dry combo. they dont' chunk on you at the track right?

yea, the instructor told me...

the difference between brave and stupid...

is only 1 thing... if you made it. hahaha...

Not much chunking but I likely wore off 1/16"+. ~1:35. I'll post pics later of the tire surface so you can see/decide for yourself.

If I were you, and wanted to do more track days, I would either get a track set of wheels and tires or I would stick with the current tires, do a few more track days and toast em. The lower your traction threshold, the slower you are going to go and the more time you are going to have to react to the car doing unexpected things. Once you can drive the tits off your current tires, KDW would be good. After that make the jump to something like StarSpec.

Way better to lose traction ~50 than at 70 when learning and getting comfortable. I want stickier tires for faster times too but I want to either max out my times on my current tires or max out my tires. Its a lot to process when going faster.

Also, we can double up on Go-Pro since we are different run groups. I think both of us would benefit from having one on the roof of the car facing forward and one in the car facing our feet, shifter, wheel and dash. Then we can superimpose them and see what we are doing...

Or more importantly, doing WRONG. :lol:

dude, once i want to make a video of me hitting all the apex's and curbs! like switching to right and left video feeds. that would be nice.

but yea... i am going to wear out these. i definitely need to learn how the car reacts and get more seat time in a more slippery setup. personally... i would never get a second wheel setup. my honest main goal is just to make a daily driving setup that i can have some fun with occasional track time. i am perfectly happy with that.

for sure try to post pictures of your abused kdw, i wanna see it. right now there is a deal for kdw2 for 88 bucks! i am thinking it won't last and i am thinking about getting them ahead and stocking them until i am done with the dws.

hahahaha... it will cost you... your gopro! make sure to have it ready next time we meet. with batteries all charged up please. thanks...

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/bfgoodrich/235%252F45-17+bfgoodrich+g-force+t%252Fa+kdw2+94y+bsw.html

do'nt forget. we can pick up to save on shipping and stuff. perfect right?

i called last week. they have 600 instock. in that size. i really like that size. wrx oem sizing.

300 tread with AA/A ratings... perfect daily driving and occasional track tire in my opinion.

*i posted another video. i can't find my 5th run? so weird. may be i didn't press record.

My size is 245/35/18 and they want the stately sum of $183ea.

So annoyed. Hard decision time. Going out to take pics of KDW2 post track day.

225/55/17 = $88ea which seems like a steal.

235/55/17 = $158ea which seems like a lot.

sorry man... i still require payment for the deal access! haha, no cardboard box with a gopro written with a sharpie either.

yea, hard to say... at that price it is just so nice for the type of rubber. i honestly wanted to go 245 40 17. but alas no good deals. i am happy to stay with 235 45 17 though. so no harm no foul.

for like 88 bucks... you can barely get no name branded cheapo tires... if i had the money i would buy like 5 sets and stock up. i would not have to pay for tires for a long time!

on a side note. there was a wrx sti there. running 225 r compound. man so sticky! and those tires were narrow too (compared to 245)! i feel like going down 1 size isn't a big deal especially with nicer rubber.

DM: I am planning to get a second battery for my GoPro. If I have done so by trackday you can use my GoPro and suction mount for all your sessions. I advise bringing your own SD card if you have one or a laptop to dl on site. The files can get rather large to send.

If I don't forget to turn the cam off after a session a battery will last a few hours no problem. If we were careful and only turn it on/off when we get in/out, one battery would work for both of us. I am started to get the feeling that I need to post a weekend of the 19th-20th Streets of Willow Springs thread.

i used 3 batteries! and i still ran out!

i tried to film 5 sessions. only got partial of the 4th one?

i heard the gopro3 has some issues. supposedly the wireless didn't work 100%? i was told by my friends shop that they were holding on selling the 3rd generation? not sure what the details were. which is why i just borrowed my friends hero2 setup.

you know, when you aren't using it and you are cooling down your car, you can just charge it up? with the cig lighter charger.

aren't you supposed to get like 2 hours of recording time with 1 battery? i forget.

Archived