LegacyGT.com

Another blown turbo 13 months after replacement???

OMG would lovvvvve to do that. But they are what like 60k. I just can't swing that. She would maybe let me go into the 40s but I am sensible too. I just can't justify 30k more then any normal SUV for just some extra HP.

You could try to find a CPO....:lol:

What does she have against a Camaro? Other than lack of useful rear seats, and enough space to cram the vehicle full of shit she doesn't need every time you travel any distance greater than 50 miles.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could try to find a CPO....:lol:

What does she have against a Camaro? Other than lack of useful rear seats, and enough space to cram the vehicle full of shit she doesn't need every time you travel any distance greater than 50 miles.

RWD, and if we started a family its just not the right car. She isn't into cars at all. To her they are A to B only. So its hard to convince her anything but a civic is worth it lol

Buy a Ford F150 Raptor.

I think those are like 50k for a pickup. And I am sort of an anti ford guy lol.

In all honesty with the total of 10 miles I drive a day I would love to find a 24 month lease on something and just make the decision in 2 years when way more cool cars are out.

I just don't know how to research what the best 2 year lease deals on cars are. I could easily do 10k a year if not less. It would be so cheap if the deal was right. I almost don't care what the car is if its only for 2 years

What cool cars are going to be out in 2 more years?

Honestly if you want to wait for the next cool car to come out, you'll always be waiting for the next cool car to come out.

If you want to sandbag for 2 years buy a $500 shit box like my 1995 Ford Ass-Pyre that I keep in Gillette, WY which is my away from home terminal on the RR. You can't have more fun with a car than one you aren't at all afraid to bend. Plus you can buy another one anytime you need to, because hey.... $500 shit box!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/driven-1995-ford-aspire-automotive-greatness-158367.html

Well in the next 2 years...

New WRX

New GTI

New Camaro (maybe)

New Vette (dream car)

Audi S3

New 370z (from what I hear)

New Maxima (from what I hear)

and there are plenty more.

I would probably have bought the new GTI but this subaru (unless it gets fixed this week with no big deal) I won't make it to 2014.

Im not always waiting for the next car, I have just had my eyes set on about 2013/2014 for a new ride and wanted to hold out for some of the above

OK let me break this down for you in the order you listed the cars you are waiting on:

1.) New WRX: Toyota will find some way to screw this up, probably take away the AWD and make it a Corolla trim level. Even if they don't it will be bigger, a bit heavier, and have no more power than the current car.

2.) New GTI: Could be worthwhile, but will cost too much and will be dumbed down for the US market.

3.) New Camaro: Nope. GM doesn't have the money to do it. Might get some mild updates, but no whole new car. Besides your wife is vetoing.

3.) New Vette: You'll know all about that here in a month or two. Same issue with spouse as Camaro. Cost too high for what you reasonably want to spend.

4.) Audi S3: Overpriced VW GTI.

5.) New 370Z: Nissan will make it too heavy, too much $$$, and the brakes won't work. Probably also put a CVT in it just to be stupid.

6.) New Maxima: CVT 'nough said. Rubbish.

OK let me break this down for you in the order you listed the cars you are waiting on:

1.) New WRX: Toyota will find some way to screw this up, probably take away the AWD and make it a Corolla trim level. Even if they don't it will be bigger, a bit heavier, and have no more power than the current car.

2.) New GTI: Could be worthwhile, but will cost too much and will be dumbed down for the US market.

3.) New Camaro: Nope. GM doesn't have the money to do it. Might get some mild updates, but no whole new car. Besides your wife is vetoing.

3.) New Vette: You'll know all about that here in a month or two. Same issue with spouse as Camaro. Cost too high for what you reasonably want to spend.

4.) Audi S3: Overpriced VW GTI.

5.) New 370Z: Nissan will make it too heavy, too much $$$, and the brakes won't work. Probably also put a CVT in it just to be stupid.

6.) New Maxima: CVT 'nough said. Rubbish.

Well the GTI info is out its going to be about 230 HP and mid 5's to 60. About 30k. Its just not coming to the states until 2014 now. Which sucks. The S3 is going to be nasty 400 HP AWD for about 50k I think. Yes overpriced.

So the other option that she would go for is the new V6 accord coupe. I think its "ok" but will come to a good 32k as well. So this is why I was thinking about a V6 Equinox for $32k. 6.7 0-60 and its a truck. It just doesn't allow the car guy in me any fun at all.

Well I own a truck now and an Equinox is not a truck. You should go buy a 4X4 1/2 ton pick up of your choice since no one really makes a bad one. Keep it until the wheels fall off, which will take forever if you bother to maintain it, and you'll have a truck around as a winter beater basically forever.

This will free you up to buy those RWD sports cars you want and your wife will have no argument against it (at least not for inclement weather reasons) since you'll have your truck. Plus trucks are very handy to have around.

Well I own a truck now and an Equinox is not a truck. You should go buy a 4X4 1/2 ton pick up of your choice since no one really makes a bad one. Keep it until the wheels fall off, which will take forever if you bother to maintain it, and you'll have a truck around as a winter beater basically forever.

This will free you up to buy those RWD sports cars you want and your wife will have no argument against it (at least not for inclement weather reasons) since you'll have your truck. Plus trucks are very handy to have around.

Well I was contemplating the Chevy Avalanche too. They are offering like 4k cash back on those right now. Basically a Chevy 1500 with a big cab. Problem is they are 45k now too. Unreal how much pickups have gotten

Just buy a quad cab 1/2 ton, the Avalanche is not a very good truck and is an equally compromised SUV. There's a reason there are incentives on them, and it's because they suck.

I myself went the Toyota route in 2007 and picked up a Tundra Double Cab 4X4 with the 5.7L 381hp V8, limited trim. Not the largest cab offered, but still seats adults comfortably with more room in back than the 2005 LGT had. In fact I just paid the truck off this month, since it was financed at 0.0% APR I didn't have any incentive to pay it off early. Currently has around 73K on the ODO, and has been as close to idiot proof as any vehicle I have ever owned. In fact is the best vehicle I have ever owned to be honest. The only thing it needs at the moment is a new windshield, but I'll wait until spring for that.

If you've never had a pick up before you'll be amazed at how useful they are, and you'll never go without one again. This one is my first, and I have to admit I can't believe I waited so long to get one.

I'll be the odd man out here (and I know the others are new vehicles) but... ML500 / ML55. If you haven't driven one they're great and have tons of scoot with pretty decent handling for a mid size SUV. The W163's are body on frame and full time AWD with a low range button. Great vehicles but not well received in the market and consequently are great values if you can find one with low miles from a private party...

Well if you're ditching it after it's fixed then might as well start planning for a replacement now.

What does your wife drive? Just curious because if you already have another reliable family type car in her vehicle there's no real reason not to get a truck. Hell buy a used one in good condition if you want, and in 2 years you can still get the cool car you're waiting for and have a good old dependable truck around for truck type duties.

That is where I'm headed. I have the truck, the wife has a little coupe that will become my commuter at some point (24 miles one way to work for me), and we'll add a nice sport sedan at some point to travel in and for her to drive around town.

Well I just called them and they said they technically can't do anything without seeing it and since it is over the year they probably won't help me. I could call SOA and see if they would cover the part (if) it is in fact the turbo.

Who knows if they will do anything but I don't really have much choice. They are willing to diagnose it for free and give me a free loaner which I will certainly need. So I guess I need to press my luck on this one and go back to the dealer.

More to come...

Well back from the dealer. The turbo is totally toast. They confirmed. They said they wouldn't cover anything due to it being outside of the 12 months. They told me the oil is very dirty and there were metal shavings in it. Not sure when the last time I changed the oil was but I constantly top it off with fresh oil anyway. So probably like 4k miles or so and they are telling me that its so dirty that its probably what caused the failure.

I find that hard to believe though there are cars that can go like 7500 miles between oil changes nowadays and since the repair I have only driven 8500 or so. So even if it was never changed it should still have been ok, technically.

So I called SOA and told the rep who is going to look into it and call the dealer now and get their side of the story. Then call me back with an offer on it they might have. I am hopeful they are going to come back with at least 50% coverage which would be about an $1100 bill to me.

Fingers crossed - at least they gave me a free 2013 forester loaner until the car is fixed.

Sorry to hear about the troubles. I hope it all works out for you. Look into an 08 or 09 Legacy GT spec.B for around 23k (mine had 47,500 miles). If you are patient you can find good ones that have been traded in at dealers, and make sure you get one that's been certified and will include at least a 1 year, 100k power train warranty.

This is my first Legacy GT (spec.B), but I have owned an 03 WRX (that I modded) and also a 98 Forester. Doesn't the oil feed line need to be replaced on these cars? I know that on mine there was a recall with the turbo oil feed line and that it was replaced. But, if you're getting metal particles in the engine that aren't being filtered out, and these are larger than 5 microns, you'll potentially have a problem with the screen getting clogged and that will kill the turbo.

If you're inclined, you can buy an aftermarket turbo that's better than a stock VF40 (like BNR) for less than half the cost of the 2100 you paid last time. Get a forum friend or someone who is local to help you remove and install it, and you'll save yourself some money (you can pay the helper some money or treat them to lunch and dinner) and learn how to do the turbo R&R. You can do this in one day if you have all the needed parts and gaskets.

Hate to say, but if there are metal shavings then you're looking at more than a turbo...

Maybe you can bargain for them to pick up a share of the rebuild? They're going to hang their hat on the condition of the oil and fault lack of maintenance. The extended OCI you speak of does not apply to theses cars. If only you'd changed the oil before dropping it off you'd be in much better position to argue. The only angle I can think of for you is to claim that they should have pulled/replaced the banjo filters with the prior work and by not they contributed to the failure.

Yeah I thought about changing the oil before I dropped it off but it was just coming up on due now. So it shouldn't be as dirty as they say it is period. And I didn't see for myself that there were or weren't metal shavings in the oil. That is just what they are saying.

I know I could have a larger problem on my hands if something got into the engine but I am never going to know that am I until it blows.

My plan is to see what subaru says, hoping they maybe at least pick up half. I know they didn't pull the banjo filters on the last install when I specifically asked too. They said "they didn't know what I was referring to and it didn't need that". And that flushing the oil would get rid of anything anyway.

The fact is there wasn't a lack of maintenance so thats kinda unfair. What I want to do is just get it back and go get a new car. I don't want to deal with anymore trouble.

Did they install new oil lines & banjo filter bolts? IIRC Subaru requires that to keep valid warranty for new replacement turbo. Something to check out.

New oil lines & banjo filter bolts & Turbo install kit.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-legacy-gt-turbo-install-kit.html

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-legacy-gt-vf-series-replacement-turbocharger.html

Important Note's Regarding Warranty Info:

When you purchase an OEM Replacement Turbo from Fred Beans Parts - it comes with a 12 month / unlimited mileage warranty. In order for your warranty to be valid & honored with Fred Beans Parts, you must also purchase & install the two oil feed lines & screen bolts on the same invoice. If you do not order & install these parts, we have no recourse with Subaru to honor the warranty.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

My plan is to see what subaru says, hoping they maybe at least pick up half. I know they didn't pull the banjo filters on the last install when I specifically asked too. They said "they didn't know what I was referring to and it didn't need that". And that flushing the oil would get rid of anything anyway.

Flushing the oil won't get rid of particles that are trapped in a filter screen, unless you flow oil through the system backwards.

The turbo's in these cars just wreck normal dino oil. My normal drive is about 10 miles each way, which is easier than your short drive, and my oil is dark by 3.5k miles.

Hopefully, they'll pick up half, but you should probably get the compression checked ASAP, since particles frequently means engine damage.

Archived