LegacyGT.com

Rocker Switch Question

Power mode was offered in the JDM SVXs w/4EAT at the push of a button. The USDM 4EATs have the same programming and maps in their TCUs but we didn't get a button. In our TCU harnesses we have an empty pin. All we need to do is ground that pin.

SVX guys figured it our first: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f8/99075-4eat-diff-lock-switch-handbrake-mod-torquemada-lite-2.html

BBS was next to figure out how to access it in first gens: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f8/99075-4eat-diff-lock-switch-handbrake-mod-torquemada-lite-2.html

It is just like stang70 said. It delays the shifting maps which allows you to get to higher rpms before shifting. It also 'listens' to how much you are depressing the throttle. If you are pressing the pedal a lot you can delay the shift to a lower gear and get a sportier experience, lol.

The 50/50 split that brok referred to can be wired to a separate switch thusly (you will need to wire in some resistors to make it work): http://www.rs25.com/forums/f8/99075-4eat-diff-lock-switch-handbrake-mod-torquemada-lite-2.html This is not the same mod as the power mode mod.

Second gens w/4EAT can also do the power mod. It is a different pin though. Pin #4 in first gens.

Were all three links supposed to be the same?

The 50/50 split thing sounds way cool. Is there any reason it couldn't be wired to a switch that fits in the dash behind the steering wheel (like an extra rear defrost or fog lamp button)?

• I Donated
The 50/50 split thing sounds way cool. Is there any reason it couldn't be wired to a switch that fits in the dash behind the steering wheel (like an extra rear defrost or fog lamp button)?

Sure it can

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I bought a four prong relay at Radio Shack for $6.99. I wired it up to the rocker switch and a 9 volt battery to test it and it works, lol. I'll install it tomorrow! :)

Finally, someone has found a way around this.

I've tried but I would have never thought about the relay idea.

Now, would this very same idea work for the FWD switch mod?

Relays are supposed to lessen the electrical load, right?

I just bought two of those four-prong relays at RadioShack and intend to modify both the Power/Sport Mode Toggle switch and my FWD Mode switch sometime in the near future when I have time and/or when it's not SO ******* COLD outside, and I will report back with the results... though I don't see why it wouldn't work. Two years and I never thought to try a relay *smacks forehead.*

Too bad these relays are HUGE and will make even more of a mess of the wiring between the head unit and the A/C controls since that's where my switch bank is, lol.

Well, I installed the switch and wired it all up and it works! It is also freezing cold out here but I did it anyway. Power mode is pretty awesome. The SS is a lot zippier. It holds the shifts longer and if you are pressing the gas a lot it holds the gears up into the 5k range. I'm really happy with how the car performs when the switch is on. It's the next best thing to swapping in a 5MT.

The rocker switch has three pins: power, accessory power, and ground. The relay has four pins: on/off switch (86), ground (85), 12V in (87), 12V out (30). I used 87 & 30 to complete my ground circuit from the TCU which turns on Power mode.

To power the switch I used a neat little add-a-circuit that plugs into to any of the fuses in the fuse box and has a butt connector(I opted to use the Cigar/Mirror fuse as it will always be on and I never use the cigar lighter). I could have just tapped into the cigar lighter wiring, but this was easier and would be easy to undo. I crimped two wires into the butt connector; one to power the rocker switch, and the other wire to power my boost gauge. Sorry for the fuzzy photo.

I ran the power wire from the add-a-fuse to the power pin on the rocker switch (blue/white). The red/blue wire is the accessory power, and the green is the ground.

Looking at the relay, I ran the accessory power (red/blue) from the rocker switch to pin 86, and the ground (green) from the rocker switch to pin 85. The wire from pin #4 (yellow/red) connects to pin 87, and the ground to the chassis (green) connects to pin 30. Note I bridged the ground from the rocker switch to the chassis ground (I ran my ground to a bolt on on the steering column). This allows running one less ground wire.

I then tucked everything in nicely & zip tied the relay to the tcu wiring harness. :)

addafuse.thumb.jpg.ab9d2057193592d9198d533b490713b9.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.d3fdb1d32fa6bd5dae77e515c6ea07dc.jpg

relaywiring.thumb.jpg.e37b19b0a0a82388266ed22bce59c604.jpg

itworks.thumb.jpg.e81cc2097d24cb043674ca299591481f.jpg

4-pin-automotive-relay.jpg.56a230c2d5d023b7c58d97e675a0f649.jpg

Holy crap, what a HUGE PITA. I had two switches I wanted to light up - one for Power Mode and one for FWD mode. SO MANY WIRES. I started getting confused I actually had to put everything down, go inside and draw out the wiring.

Also, monkey, not sure why you used a jumper, because your photo looks like you have the same "feature" as my car - a blank, unused, but POWERED fuse slot (even on with the key off because the switches stay lit up - which is actually a neat feature reminding me to turn them off, lol.)

Still, LIGHT UP SWITCHES!!!

75325_4228376990973_656673697_n.jpg

Stang, by jumper do you mean the add-a-fuse? And I can see in my above pic of the fuse box there is an empty fuse in the upper left. I didn't really think to use that one. How did you tap into yours? Your switches look awesome BTW! Total pita like you said, lol.

mattmattyxcore, glad we could help!

I bought an add-a-fuse thing from Advanced before looking in the fuse block. When I saw the blank slot, I put it there. I'll probably end up taking it back out a d simply jamming a wire into the slot so that I can close the cover on the fuse block since the add-a-fuse sticks out too far.

Archived