LegacyGT.com

Looking at a 92 and worried its to high milage

http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/3455490803.html

The old gl is getting a bit warn so im looking at something newer and im worried its to high mileage at 222k to be worth the trouble.

ill be going up sunday to give it a look and go for a test drive, any thoughts or help with what to look for would be appreciated, ill be sure to check fluids and brakes and ask for service records.

I'd be looking for something with less mileage.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

My 95 L has the same engine w/264k and it runs great. Add in the cost of a proper alignment ($80), exhaust leak (???), and a new tire (???) and figure out if it is worth it to you. If it needs one tire you can order one tire but you will need the tread cut to match the other four otherwise you will ruin your differentials.

The guy seems desperate so lowaball him. If he doesn't take your offer then who cares. There are lots and lots of subies up in your area rust free that have been well maintained. When you buy a used car you are often buying someone's problem.

Please post a pic of your GL and don't sell it. :)

Many second gens as well as the GC Impreza had the 2.2. The second gen GTs had the 2.5 (Not sure about '96 GTs). The L models had the 2.2. The 2.2 was non-interference until transitioned to the interference 2.2 in 97. There are some minor differences between the first and second gen 2.2, but I think they are limited to the IACV or ERG or something like that.

My 95 L has the same engine w/264k and it runs great. Add in the cost of a proper alignment ($80), exhaust leak (???), and a new tire (???) and figure out if it is worth it to you. If it needs one tire you can order one tire but you will need the tread cut to match the other four otherwise you will ruin your differentials.

The guy seems desperate so lowaball him. If he doesn't take your offer then who cares. There are lots and lots of subies up in your area rust free that have been well maintained. When you buy a used car you are often buying someone's problem.

Please post a pic of your GL and don't sell it. :)

dont worry, gl isnt going anywhere.

I own a '92 wagon w/ the automatic trans. At 161K miles, it's on it's 2nd transmission (previous owner replaced). A knowledgeable Subaru dealer trained mechanic I know says the 2.2 motor will outlast the 1st gen auto tranny 2 to 1.

Definitely check the ATF fluid..unless it's bright red walk away.

One upgrade I did was add an aftermarket transmission cooler($40 at Auto Zone). The stock radiator actually has a circuit along the side for this purpose. Since the fluid lines are already routed it was pretty easy. The larger cooler is more effective and increases total ATF capacity.

I'm well aware of the phase 1 troubles, ask any svx owner why XD I've passed on this car for now but its still on craigslist, i'll wait to see if it gets any lower before i make another offer.

The GL is now at the suby dealership for diagnostics since we tested everything we possibly could on our own.

At that age it's a hit or miss, check for oil leaks and behavior of gearbox. Driveaxle boots shall also be on the list. Also check for oil leaks at rear diff and wheel bearings.

Compression test is a good thing to run - it can tell you if the engine is in good order or not. Also look out for vibrations in driveshaft, find a smooth flat road and keep constant speed at about 45mph.

And see if the ECU indicates any codes, look at the sticky thread in this section about how to read them. Not all codes gives a CEL.

If everything else checks out you should look for rust in bad places. Especially around strut towers - it's highly annoying if a strut tower gives up while you drive.

453747.png

Archived