LegacyGT.com

Gauging Interest: Track Pipe/High Flow Cat/Resonated Pipe

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
can I ask why 2.25 vs. 2.5 in pipe? do these engines really need that much back pressure?

Yes the 2.25" has been dyno proven on the rs's to be the best diameter. It is only a 2.5/2.2L 4 cylinder motor lol, it is no V8. ;)

Yep, I am no longer in need of one. All my Subies are pretty much gone. My buddy might want one for the car I sold him. I'll keep you up to date with that.

Sounds good let me know!

Well, I'm back in! I am officially keeping the 99 OBL. So, I will want one of the catted mid pipes. I will be able to put down a deposit but I don't know when I'll be able to come up with the rest because I am buying a new car tomorrow and that's going to be a rather large hit for the next 2 months.

I am going to ask my buddy about this tomorrow and see what he says. I'll keep you posted.

can I ask why 2.25 vs. 2.5 in pipe? do these engines really need that much back pressure?

The 2.5" is actually enough to change the exhaust flow quite a bit. When it comes to physics, the smallest of changes can make the largest of differences.

2.5" will create a much more responsive power, but power will be down on the low end. Any (if any) top end gain would be pointlessly minimal, but the low end loss is very noticeable.

I would totally take a track pipe depending on the price! I'm throwing a P0420 as it is right now, and looking underneath my car it looks like it's about time to replace my exhaust...I'm pretty sure someone used a wire clothes hanger to secure the cat portion of the exhaust...

I'm assuming this portion would be useless if I swapped in an EJ20R or another turbo swap, right? I'm new to the legacy world, but typically turbo setups have a 2.5" or larger diameter, plus I'm assuming the route for the swapped subframe would require different angles...?

On another note, I am definitely interested in a cat-back as well to finish off the exhaust, I was planning on putting in a Vibrant muffler at some point. I have no emissions where I live, but the cops do get picky about hearing your car 3 blocks away...If you did do the cat-back with a vibrant exhaust, any chance on getting a flat-black muffler by chance? Still undecided about SS vs Flat Black in that department...

The flatblack muffler they offer is stainless, it is just coated. It is the only muffler they offer in 2.25" piping but they will make a custom size for a little bit more in any style for me. So I could offer both types if people get picky.

any more word on this?

Kind of...The company doing the mandrel bent tube is being very slow right now. I was told one the sales people quit and one of the benders is down for repairs. Unfortunately they are the only ones in town who are reasonably priced, $75 vs. $200 :lol:

Worst case I am hoping it sets us back 1 week.

awesome, so end of march basically right now or..?

It all depends on the supplier for the piping. If I do not hear back by Tuesday I am going to raise hell lol. I want the prototype for the HFC completely tested before I start selling them.

• 2 weeks later...

And just to keep this going here is the prototype I have been testing for a few weeks now. It is a pie cut version, which will not be what the ones being sold will be.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff139/ptownhawky15/2013-03-17_14-22-44_436_zpsbe338a94.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to find someone who can do the bends, since the other company I had local had horrible communication. I have tested the pipe and it works awesome!

I want to make these reasonably priced for you guys.

I bought the tsudo headers and resonated pipe and I'd strongly recommended not getting either. I had to take my 3lb rock hammer to the headers just to be able to get them on (they don't clear the oil filter so they have to come off to do an oil change). The pipe kinda fits but I had to bend it and the headers to get them to line up. Really not fun and I'll be surprised if they last cause I had to trim the undercover for it to fit and I can hear the snow getting stuck to the headers and melting. They gonna crack real soon after all these hot cold cycles. Just my two cents

Archived