LegacyGT.com

A few more hitch questions

Edvig

Opie,

What tranny cooler did you put in? How 'bout doing a walkthrough?

Brian

I've got a Hayden Rapid-Cool #676 Transmission Oil Cooler, I've been lazy and haven't gotten it in yet, but I will do a walk through with pics as soon as I get to it.

Yes.

From personal experience, that is incorrect for the subaruparts.com part no. L1010LS100

I had been lurking on this forum trying to gain insight on trailer hitch installation (and also suspension mods), and felt there was reasonable information to proceed. Unfortunately I may have taken out of context which parts work with which cars. I ordered the subaru trailer hitch, part no. L1010LS100 from the subaruparts.com for my sedan, because I thought that having a wiring harness and an OEM part would make things easier. Wrong.

1. Part no. L1010LS100 will not fit the sedan, does not even come close. I ordered mine two weeks ago, got it last week and tried to install it today. The mount points on the trailer hitch are located where the mufflers go (they are spaced too wide). Also the instructions sheet packaged with it describe having to drill two holes and cut away part of the body fascia (bumper) to install it. It is obviously not meant for the 2005 Legacy GT sedan.

2. Incidentally, on the sedan, at least on my sedan, there is no trailer wiring connector taped anywhere in the bodywork. I removed all the trunk carpeting to make sure (left and right side). You will need to splice into the wiring harness (I plan on using a T adapter on the left rear taillight, which has the same six pin connector the subaru wiring harness has). There is, however, a grommet plug in the spare wheel well to route the wiring harness outside to access the hitch.

New plan is to return the trailer hitch, eat the shipping, and order a hidden hitch or draw-tite from etrailer.com, as I have photographic evidence that this can be done on the sedan (thanks 3tones, should have just followed your lead).

Anyways, I registered today just to post this so nobody else goes down this path.

The part number I have is L101SAG000, and the installation directions definitely do not show drilling any where. This is listed for the 2005 Subaru Legacy and makes no mention of a Sedan or Wagon fitment, just 05 Legacy.

Here's a picture of the install cover page. Does your's look like this?

SBT

682827188_05LGTHitchInstallDirectionCover.jpg.0ccb6fce68599a716351cb330c241290.jpg

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

From personal experience, that is incorrect for the subaruparts.com part no. L1010LS100

They sent you the Impreza hitch...the Legacy hitch is P/N: L101SAG000 and fits both the Legacy Wagon and Sedan without any cutting or drilling. And the wiring connector is there on all Legacy's...trust me...

http://www.subaruchallenge.com//Wills/05/2.5i/dolly.jpg

...Works great....600 miles this weekend....

They sent you the Impreza hitch...the Legacy hitch is P/N: L101SAG000 and fits both the Legacy Wagon and Sedan without any cutting or drilling. And the wiring connector is there on all Legacy's...trust me...

Opie,

I tried sending a reply Saturday but it didn't go through. In brief, I ordered the part L1010LS100 from the Homepage of subaruparts.com. Under Legacy GT Limited, the bottom picture , to the right, third item down is listed the trailer hitch for $217.93. When you click "Add to cart", it gives the part number L1010LS100, and for me shipping was $46.15 (Tacoma, Washington to Virginia), for a total of $264.08

After reading Subietonic's post, I went back to the Web site to find the other (correct) part number. Under the menu at the upper left, under model year 2005, and then under the heading Outback Legacy -> Utility and convenience (not under plain Legacy, no hitch is even mentioned in this submenu), the other part number (L101SAG000) comes up when you click "Add to cart", and is listed for $246.61.

How did you know which of the two was correct? I tried calling the website numerous times at 1-877-473-6200, but was put on interminable hold ( I would do this while at work, doing paperwork for up to thirty minutes without ever having a human being respond). I finally gave in and just ordered what I thought was the right part. Someone else had posted the $217 figure as the price, and it all made sense at the time.

The other question (for Opie) is where is the wiring adapter? Admittedly, the instructions I received to install the wiring harness were not for my vehicle, but I still could not trace the wiring on either side of the trunk with all the carpeting removed, unless, as I believe was mentioned in another post, it is within the tailight housing itself (which I did not take apart).

I will try to return and exchange, but will call the number on the invoice for Tacoma Nissan Subaru, where it was shipped from, 1-800-972-6915 (parts and service) which has its own website under www.brucetitus.com.

Thanks for the help, will try for the refund/exchange right now.

Subaru only "officially" lists a hitch for the '05 Outbacks, but it is the same hitch needed for the Legacy's. P/N: L101SAG000 is the correct number...I have this installed on my wife's car.

The wiring harness for the trailer lights will be in the rear drivers side corner, it's taped to the taillight wiring harness with blue tape, it may take a little searching, but it will be there.

• 3 weeks later...
Subaru only "officially" lists a hitch for the '05 Outbacks, but it is the same hitch needed for the Legacy's. P/N: L101SAG000 is the correct number...I have this installed on my wife's car.

The wiring harness for the trailer lights will be in the rear drivers side corner, it's taped to the taillight wiring harness with blue tape, it may take a little searching, but it will be there.

Just installed a hidden hitch on my sedan, took about half hour, not too hard at all.

The wiring you speak of is from another land, I used to do wiring for a living and it does not exist on the sedan. I had the whole trunk apart and it is nowhere, not attached to the lights, not attached to anything in the trunk, maybe it is under the rear seat.

:confused:

Have to agree with littlesilvermax on this one. Maybe on the wagons or older Legacy GT models.

On the other hand, the subaru hitch fits great, uses six bolts (not four), torqued to 69 +/- 2 ft-lbs. (Perhaps 50% increase in towing capacity? Just speculating). No spacers needed. Does not fit above or below tow bracket, but extends just past, and seems to be close enough to the body for me, about the same height as the bottom of the mufflers.

Pictures show:

1. Tailight housing (nothing on the other side but the bulbs)

2. The wiring as it goes into the trunk, the little box is NOT the accessory adapter, but some type of transformer (I opened it up and looked)

3. Rear profile, taken from a squatting position, camera height about 30" off the ground, about 10' away.

The connector on the tailight housing will fit the wiring harness, but to have both working (tailight and trailer lights), will need a T adapter IMHO.

Re: Earlier post: Subaruparts.com was very helpful through whole situation, has only one person to answer the phone, exchanged my other hitch and gave a good deal on shipping, still states for the record "Subaru does not provide a trailer hitch for the 2005 Legacy GT sedan". If you really need to speak to someone in person call the Tacoma Nissan Subaru number

My two cents

1275769454_tailighthousing(1024x768).thumb.jpg.cba6276151aa520421f657fd8a1c8614.jpg

1171544210_Wiringintrunk(1024x768).thumb.jpg.94666b5d4ca1b8c16d2b4551ce89353a.jpg

956328594_Rearview(1024x768).thumb.jpg.86d5e52e30b9dbbb9930a36a282eaa3a.jpg

I am happy with my Hidden Hitch, maybe it is not as strong buit good enough for my purposes. It easily fit above the tow hook.

I looked at the hitch from the dealership and it protruded just a bit more then the hidden hitch, hence the reason I went with the Hidden Hitch.

The Hitch looks OK, but it is still definitely noticable. My Hiden Hitch on my Maxima has almost invisible, people didn't believe I had one!

• 6 years later...
The part number I have is L101SAG000, and the installation directions definitely do not show drilling any where. This is listed for the 2005 Subaru Legacy and makes no mention of a Sedan or Wagon fitment, just 05 Legacy.

Here's a picture of the install cover page. Does your's look like this?

SBT

Hey SBT, did you kit come with the bolts ? I just opened L101SAG000 box that I bought few years back and there are no bolts included. :mad: Do you know what size those are ? No instruction about the hitch itself either, only about wiring harness.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

It came with everything I needed to install mine - all bolts, hitch bits and electric 4-prong connector with the electronic converter and OEM connector plug.

That said, there's a couple extra brace parts and bolts that seem to be part of the Outback (same platform) hitch installation that didn't come with mine. I think, IIRC, that Opie may have mentioned that in one of his posts.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

So sine my box for L101SAG000 came without bolts, I needed to figure out what kind I needed. The bolts I went with were M10x1.25 40mm from HD. I used all six bolting locations , the two ones closest to the bumper required 3 flat washers to work as spacers between the frame and hitch.

Sprayed everything down under with rust inhibitor as well.

Still have no clue what the two bars (part B on SBT's diagram) are for and how they get mounted.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Archived