LegacyGT.com

Burnt Oil Smell in Cabin

I have the same issue on the passenger side and it is getting worse lately. I've done a search but didn't locate a walkthrough on replacing the passenger side valve cover gasket. It is difficult to do? I've done a lot of my own maintenance including spark plug replacement and up pipe installation, but this is new ground.

Please don't flame me, I did search and would just like to get some information on changing this out and any tips, tricks and tools to make it easier.

thanks,

• I Donated Too

Not a flame... but.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/valve-cover-gasket-81725.html

So it's not a walkthrough but there's some key things in that thread - it is claimed to be easy to do and can be done when the engine is still in the car. The valve covers are held on with bolts, you need a gasket kit, couple of hours time...

maybe there's not a walkthrough because it is regarded as not needing one and still not flaming - if perhaps you aren't sure you can do this without one, perhaps you shouldn't be attempting to do this kind of work? You will need to be handy and have a clue, move a few things out the way but this job is not a difficult one.

Tips and tricks and tools to make it easier?

Don't drop the bolts into odd places of the engine bay as the trick will be trying to find them again later. Tools? A 10mm socket.

We're happy to help here but are you sure this is a job you want to tackle - what's got you concerned about the next step on from spark plug replacement? You already learned there about the clearance for that... possible but tight.

I've done an easy experiment on my own, and it seems to have greatly reduced the burnt oil smell in the cabin after longer drives. I used to top off my oil to the small hole above the "F" on the dipstick. In the past few weeks I've tried to keep it at the "F" instead. Using Rotella T6 fwiw.

Found a walkthough for you here:

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=12784

Hopefully it will allay some of your fears.

Thanks for the information-- I'll get more familiar with the the site and be better able to find things. Thanks for your help!

I have done a lot of work to the car myself. I have an excellent workspace and all the tools that I'll need. I know from experience that there are always little tricks that help make the job go easier. There are also the 'gotchas' that you want to be aware of. I have some great information from my last vacation as well.

Now all I need is the time and peace to get it done.

Thanks again.

• 2 months later...
I've done an easy experiment on my own, and it seems to have greatly reduced the burnt oil smell in the cabin after longer drives. I used to top off my oil to the small hole above the "F" on the dipstick. In the past few weeks I've tried to keep it at the "F" instead. Using Rotella T6 fwiw.

I drained my oil yesterday after consistently dry dipstick during readings. I ended up with approx. 3.5 quarts- this after topping up with about 2 quartz for the past month. Where the hell is my oil going? Getting faint burning scent, after spirited driving. Boot has long been replaced, Coolant also swishing around in heater core ( all hoses and radiator caps replaced)..This is really beyond vexing me right now.:mad:. And FWIW, I religiously use Rotella T6. Question I have is, Could possible head gasket change be needed?

I replaced mine and my oil consumption dropped from 1qt per 900 miles to somewhere in the area of 1qt per 5k.

rob-2,

Do you recall what condition the pvc that you removed was in? Does it have a spring loaded check valve or does it just have a small diameter tube? Thanks.

rob-2,

Do you recall what condition the pvc that you removed was in? Does it have a spring loaded check valve or does it just have a small diameter tube? Thanks.

I replaced an entire black part and didn't see the valve itself. It's a ball bearing setup and the new one rattled just by looking at it. The old one was gummed up and didn't rattle much.

I found a part number for a Subaru OEM PCV that is 11819AA001. I did a compatibility check for one of these listed on eBay but LGT's are not listed. Anyone know if this is the correct part for a 2005 LGT?

Archived