LegacyGT.com

Cleaning oil of the trunk "floor mat" carpet

So I had a gallon of T6 in a bag with a funnel in the trunk. I was using it to top off the car between oil changes. I also had to 2 rubber mats to keep the carpet halfway clean. So the oil fell over and some spilled out mostly onto the mats which is what I wanted. But some made its ways to the carpet area and now I have a nice oil spot on the center. How could I clean this oil up so it does not leave an oily residue on everything? The floor mat I speak of is #13 in following link http://parts.subarupartswarehouse.com/parts/2011/SUBARU/LEGACY/2.5GT/?siteid=214327&vehicleid=1446524&diagram=7526755

I just do not want to ruin the mat in the process of trying to clean it.

It may just be ruined. I had some milk leak on mine a couple months after the car was brand new and it left a stain I could never remove. Oil is an even harder project to clean up. Because it is sitting on essentially a piece of cardboard, you can't really use too many of the solutions that I would typically recommend like boiling water and an extractor. But that might still be something you want to try. If it is ruined and it is something that bothers you enough to replace, then I would try anything to get it out. If the solution makes it worse, then you'll have to replace it anyway, so you aren't really out that much. But since trunk carpet isn't like normal carpet, cleaning it is very very difficult.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

So I basically had the exact same thing happen to me last year, spilled a gallon of T6 on that...

The glue came off in the oily areas, and no amount of kitty litter, steam cleaning, Dawn, grease remover, etc. ever got it clean. I got tired of trying to clean it and ripped off the cloth material and ended up using new matting from Pep Boys. I used the adhesive spray, but it sucked, so I went with a staple gun afterwards. The material and color are quite close, doesn't look perfect, but does the job great. At the end of the day, beats the hell out of spending $80 or whatever ridiculous amount they wanted for a new trunk cover...

I just want to be clear ... you plan on putting your oily carpet next to the fire in your house?

Should I just call your insurance agent now?

I was going to clean it first and I did not plan on putting it very close to the wood stove, just near it to help it dry.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...
Ok cleaning with a carpet cleaner didn't do a thing. The oil destroyed the glue underneath and the carpet came loose. SOOO I took my knife and removed all the carpet from the top and what i could from the bottom. Took it downstairs and soaked it in "oops" and let it sit for a few. I then started it at it with a razor blade scraper and got all that i could off of the plastic. Then I took 2 rags and wiped off all the excess "oops" and it left the entire surface SUPER tacky. I did not know this would happen or I would of had replacement carpet on hand, so i will be going to town tomorrow to get some.

I had messed up trunk cover in old car. Here's your solution. While wasting all that time on cleaning something that will never look even close to decent.... quick trip to HD to get a cardboard or whatever material you desire, on the way home 1 more stop at Micheal's or whatever they call a fabric store in your area, picking right color shouldn't be an issue. I think they had pretty much exact material when I was looking for one. Cut to shape, spray adhesive and you are set for $20?

I had messed up trunk cover in old car. Here's your solution. While wasting all that time on cleaning something that will never look even close to decent.... quick trip to HD to get a cardboard or whatever material you desire, on the way home 1 more stop at Micheal's or whatever they call a fabric store in your area, picking right color shouldn't be an issue. I think they had pretty much exact material when I was looking for one. Cut to shape, spray adhesive and you are set for $20?

I'm just going to be re-carpeting the original trunk piece though. So it will be an exact fit and it will fold. Also stronger than cardboard.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the carpet cut off, soak it in Coleman fuel and it will dissolve the oil. Let it dry outside and then wash the carpet in the washing machine (at the laundromat, no sense in destroying YOUR machine...LOL) and use Oxyclean. The Coleman fuel (Naptha) will surround and dissolve the oil particles and lift them out of the carpet. Rinse it with clean naptha again, and let it dry. Naptha is incredibly good for removing grease and oil stains because of it's very light composition and solvent qualities.

Hope this helps.

Archived