LegacyGT.com

Engine is almost done!

Literrally it knocks, missfires and burns tons of oil with a permanent check engine light lol... anyways I have been reading the sticky thread http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/misc/navbits_finallink.gif 2nd Gen Engine FAQ - Turbos - MPG - Engine Builds - Engine Swaps - Engine Management and have been getting ideas about a refreshment plan.

Problem is I live in california with strict smog standards..

So,

I want to do a totally stock wrx setup that is smog legit, and I was curious if anyone has done a setup like this? I dont want to modify with bigger turbos or any of that, just good ol stock turbo power to have a clean good running car.

Any pointers?:cool:

Swaps are cool. That's about it. They are impractical, generally finicky, and cost you way more in time and money than they are typically worth. Seriously DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SWAP YOUR CAR! Take monkey's advice and just buy a wrx. You will be soooo much happier.

That being said, if you're still hot and bothered about swapping your beloved ob; there are several people who have done straight up wrx swaps. Easiest way it seems to accomplish this is by buying a salvaged wrx at auction, swap everything. Send the harnesses off to be merged properly. And be prepared for a whole host of complications and set backs. Best of luck.

I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

whats your backround knowledge on the topic? smog legal swaps involve complete harness merges, good luck

Well im from back east in florida where smog isnt a problem. Im pretty familiar with swapping but this will be my first Subaru. I havnt had to play with harnesses too much, but I am experienced with wire diagrams and soldering lol. I have been a automotive tech for 8 years, mostly japanese cars but for the past 2 I have been turning wrenches at Ferrari Maserati.... thats a whole diff animal all together. Are you familiar with the sort of harness merge I will have to do?

Buy a WRX, sell your OB, and laugh all the way to the bank! :p

Or, do tons of research and spend a lot of money. :cool:

Ill stick with the research, everybody has a WRX, its a me too car... hey you have a WRX me too lol... Still a cool car, just like the mustang but ill never own one.

Thanks for the input guys, I think the trickyest part here will be the harness, ive done many swaps in the past on different cars but they all seem pretty much the same to me, this car actually seems easier since everythins is soo interchangable. I will just have to look more into the harness and a salvaged WRX might be the way to go for the smog legit swap

I wouldn't say it's anywhere near as popular as the mustang. I'll probably see about 25ish driving across my little town, compared to maybe one or two wrx's. Seriously think about just getting a wrx, or a newer turbo legacy gt. Probably cheaper all around, without the headache.

I appreciate all of the feedback but I am determined, its something I have always wanted to do with my OB, it will be fun, and different. I have the know how to get it done, basically I just needed to know certain details before I dove into it so I can get everything lined up and ready to go. I am looking for a wrecked USDM WRX now that I can pull everything out of, and there is a company out east called East Coast Swappers that pre makes the merged harnesses. It should be a pretty straight up swap, but of course there will always be some snags along the way... but thats all in the fun of it. I will keep you guys posted once the project begins!

Right on, go for the swap! I'm working on a swap as well. It is expensive, a lot of work, a pain in the ass, but I am learning something which is an invaluable experience. I bought my SS and the HGs blew instantly, lol. For what I spent on buying the car, shipping it to my house, doing the rebuild, I could have had a wrb WRX :). For all the time and money I spent restoring and upgrading my humble '95 L wagon I could have had another WRX. Building your car with your own two hands feels good. I can't wait when I finally plop in my 22T stroker into my second gen. :cool: It may take a while, but like stang said, it will happen.

iwire will merge your harness for $600 or so.

I've always considered it not a question of IF, but a question of WHEN I will be doing a WRX swap into my Outback. Although, I've already spoken to a company called RalliSpec in NJ that would be helping me :p

I have been doing alot of research, and if you find a donor car like from a wreck or auction, everything pretty much swaps over and bolts up, its the harness merge that can take a while if you do it on your own, but if you check out eastcoastswappers, you can send them your 2 harnesses and they will do it for you, cost about 600 bucks for a cable throttle car, and 900 for a drive by wire car. Everything else will literally bolt up in your outback... for the most part!

Right on, go for the swap! I'm working on a swap as well. It is expensive, a lot of work, a pain in the ass, but I am learning something which is an invaluable experience. I bought my SS and the HGs blew instantly, lol. For what I spent on buying the car, shipping it to my house, doing the rebuild, I could have had a wrb WRX :). For all the time and money I spent restoring and upgrading my humble '95 L wagon I could have had another WRX. Building your car with your own two hands feels good. I can't wait when I finally plop in my 22T stroker into my second gen. :cool: It may take a while, but like stang said, it will happen.

iwire will merge your harness for $600 or so.

Sounds good man, eastcoastswappers also does a harness merge for around that price :cool:

I have been doing alot of research, and if you find a donor car like from a wreck or auction, everything pretty much swaps over and bolts up, its the harness merge that can take a while if you do it on your own, but if you check out eastcoastswappers, you can send them your 2 harnesses and they will do it for you, cost about 600 bucks for a cable throttle car, and 900 for a drive by wire car. Everything else will literally bolt up in your outback... for the most part!

Speaking with rallispec, they mentioned a few things. First, there was obviously the need to merge the harness. My requirement for the swap was that EVERYTHING must still work. I don't want to lose ANY functions. To that end they said that the cruise control unit might interfere with the location of the turbo, and so that might have to be relocated if I wanted to keep it, and that it wasn't a big deal. They also told me the front cross member... Or maybe just the radiator support... I can't remember which, would need to be changed or fabricated or something. Other than that they said it was straightforward. I even asked them how much it would cost to have them do the entire swap and they said $2-2500 bucks, which is surprisingly cheap, lol, if I provide a donor car.

Archived