LegacyGT.com

SPT intake - why the hate ?

wera832

I appreciate information but always take the information with caveats and with YMMV. I also try to do more research and gather data and details from other sources as one place isn't normally sufficient and can be prejudicial. I think the debate goes way back when there may have been somethings that may have been said that might not have been accurate or sufficiently analyzed. Granted, there was a paper written by a knowledgeable and experieced tuner, but then later was then removed for a more general article. Time goes on and there are many changes in tuning experience and technology advancements. I think many people who ask this question should do more investigation and testing and find the results by experience or outcome.

There is another article I found that has dyno results using the stock air box with different filters as well as using the SPT intake and the results are interesting. But, the results are from a WRX and not the Legacy. If you look at the stock and SPT intake they look similar. The cast housing can get warm, but there are ways to limit the ambient heat absorbed and also allow cooler air into the filter.

My experience is that the SPT is installed on my car when I got it and it didn't feel smooth during boost. After flashing the ECU with an off the shelf 91 stg.1 map there was a great transformation, power smoothed out and noticeably increased.

Do your own research and experiment to find your own results.

Stock works best for cars running approx 300whp or less.

Certain tech write ups were pulled from the internet not because they were incorrect. But because cease and desist letters from cooperate lawyers were sent out.

As a past SPT intake owner/tester, the owner of full service Subie shop and the partner of the most prolific LGT tuner of all time, I still openly say SPT is one of the worst aftermarket intakes made for the LGT.

I started a poll a while ago & was promptly berated for considering an aftermarket intake for stage 3, which has the potential to put me above 300whp... Mike, any basis for the 300whp, or is it just a guideline?

I couldn't care less about sound, but I do want to get the most from my tune, safely.

If you're looking for sound, how about keeping the stock intake & removing the silencer (or reverting to stock, in case you inherited an SPT with your used LGT)?

Tits mcgee

300whp seems to be the "dividing line". While the stock intake works well up to that point (somewhere between 280 and 300) it is a hindrance beyond. If going stage3 (even a 16g), I like an intake. But in all honesty, you can run just fine with a 16g/VF-52 and a stock box (to a point). Fuel choice could easily push you beyond the original power goal of the turbo.

I inherited an SPT Intake when I bought my 2006 LGT, but today I purchased a Cobb Intake.

Parts Waiting to be added:

Perrin Turbo Inlet Pipe

Custom Catback

Also on the way is:

Tomei Header/Upipe

Invidia Catless Downpipe

Cobb Accessport

Rebuilt Engine---something else I inherited needing fixed... had a cracked piston and bad rod bairing.

Archived